Do cats need a buddy of their own kind?

jessicac05

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good morning,

I know this is likely a loaded question. We have 2 dogs and they try to play together with the cat, but I think they misread signals between the species. Does the cat need a feline playmate? He is about 5 months old and neutered and is still very much a kitten.

Thanks for any insight!

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
Good morning,

I know this is likely a loaded question. We have 2 dogs and they try to play together with the cat, but I think they misread signals between the species. Does the cat need a feline playmate? He is about 5 months old and neutered and is still very much a kitten.

Thanks for any insight!
Who is misreading signals, the kitten or the dogs?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, I'm sure they misread signals and depending on the kitten's temperament/personality he may be a bit overwhelmed. It's difficult to say since you know your dogs and kitty best but bringing a new feline playmate into the mix could go either way. We had 2 cats with our dog, a grown cat and a very young cat. The grown cat liked the dog better than the young kitty. So that's why I said it depends on their dynamics.

I thought this Article might have some helpful tips for you even though it discusses introductions:
How To Safely Introduce A Cat And A Dog – TheCatSite Articles

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
When you have two cats that are totally bonded and adore one another, you are inclined to say that every cat needs a buddy. But truth is not all pairs become best friends but a better chance when they are kittens like yours. He would probably love to have a cat friend as a playmate.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jessicac05

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think the dogs and cat misread each other. So, its not a one way street.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have had it go both ways. Chelsea, a cat, is completely bonded to my dog. She dislikes, but is not aggressive, with the cats. She particularly disliked a male who passed 4 years ago, not a cat who ever hurt her. The three younger ones are bonded and love to be together. I brought the two calico feral sisters, see avatar, into the house to be friends with Jamie who lost his litter and mom at about 4 weeks. For the most part though, most of my cats are more on the independent side which I base on having observed that no one ever missed any other one after a passing. In fact, usually someone took over the vacated bed.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, IF you are going to get another cat, your current kitten is at a good age to make an adjustment and to bond. Choose a kitten who is close to yours in age, about the same size, and same activity level.

Should you decide to get another kitten, these articles will help!