Do boy cat's personalities change after being neutered ?

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My male kittens and cats who have been neutered have not changed  their behavior.    ( except one who had been neutered just before i adopted him and he was 2 years old,   but his behavior change was positive!) 

I just spoke to a lady who has two 5 month old kittens from me who were neutered recently and they are playing as crazily as ever, and  just as affectionate as ever.     That is very typical.

My Chatri was playing like a little maniac the night he was neutered,  and now at 2.5 years old,  he is still just the same as he ever was.  ( I mean really the same. He acts like a goofy kitten!    and just as extremely affectionate as he ever was.  but like GingersMom said,  he had started getting a little nippy before being neutered--  more aggressive  and neutering toned that down,  but not his playfulness.  )    

Sammy was neutered when I got him but it is hard to imagine him any more playful and loving than he is.

I really think when there seems to be some strong personality change , it is likely due to something else.     Sometimes it is just a matter of the kitten maturing.  Mine are Siamese which are known for usually staying very active.   But many cats do get quite a bit more sedate as  they grow up.      ( I don't know what it is for juliekorhorn01's kitten.    4 months is too young or it to be a matter of him getting all grown up and calm .    I don't suppose he was also declawed at the time he was neutered?  because that would explain it.      Otherwise I would try to look for other causes,   because I really think neutering does not usually have such an effect on a 4 month old kitten. )

In a cat neutered after puberty,  there can be some changes over a few months after being neutered  --  most who were spraying will stop spraying,   and they generally become less aggressive and of course usually less highly sexual and driven to seek out mates.

(But I have had 2 neutered male cats who were still interested in sex and still able to mate if a female in heat was right there, they just could not sire kittens.  One was the 2 year old;  another was neutered as an older kitten , at almost 8 months.  the 2 yr old also had a stuffed animal "girlfriend"  and he kept up a torrid relationship until he was about 9.  )

The one thing that is different is that as an adult  ( or even maybe from around 8 -9 months)  they need fewer calories than a cat who is not altered.     But sometimes people get an adolescent or young adult cat  altered,  continue feeding as much as they were and don't take into consideration that  1. the cat  needs less than when he/ she was growing fast  and 2.   the cat needs less than an adult who is not neutered. 

It is not neutering that makes a cat fat,  it 's overfeeding,  or feeding an inappropriate diet  ( like too high in carbs). 

Last edited:

gabe logan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think his personality will change as he gets older. The only thing I noticed was that he stopped spraying.

jolin3316

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just got my boy kitten neutered today he hasn't showed any changes but it's hasn't been even a day yet so i'll reply back if he changes. Also I read somewhere that when a dog or cat gets spayed or neutered they become more affectionate.

bea29

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
this is a complete lie that  the cat will start spraying the house while not being castrated..!!!!  I have a 4 yer old male cat , he is using the litter occasionally and goes outside, to use the toilet and comes back to the house..he is scared of other cats, he will never spray the house, he never has done that...  we have moved so many times with him and he is always a god boy..  Then my 9 months old male kitten, he have adopted has not been castrated, and we have managed to teach him to use the toilet!!!  he is actually using one of those lids you put on top of the toilet that has a hole inside , but stands on the toilet seat... so never sprayed as well!!!!   both cats are lovely and playful, they sleep with me and love cuddles...  if you castrate your cat he ill become a vegetable... !!!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
this is a complete lie that  the cat will start spraying the house while not being castrated..!!!!  I have a 4 yer old male cat , he is using the litter occasionally and goes outside, to use the toilet and comes back to the house..he is scared of other cats, he will never spray the house, he never has done that...  we have moved so many times with him and he is always a god boy..  Then my 9 months old male kitten, he have adopted has not been castrated, and we have managed to teach him to use the toilet!!!  he is actually using one of those lids you put on top of the toilet that has a hole inside , but stands on the toilet seat... so never sprayed as well!!!!   both cats are lovely and playful, they sleep with me and love cuddles...  if you castrate your cat he ill become a vegetable... !!!
Cats do not become vegetables after being spayed or neutered. Your cats are not spraying inside right now, but there is a good chance they will in the future. You are also allowing them outside where they are likely spraying, contributing to the unwanted kitten population, and can get into dangerous territories fights with other males. There are several health risks and not just your males involved.

Last edited:

bombaycatsuk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
At around 1 year and 6 months hecules started going out alot more, fighting and shagging I'd assume!

Micky become very attached to me, never went out as much.. But still playful

Hercules had two bad abysys on him, he needed stitches so we had him neutered (snipped) as well.. To much fighting id assume..

Now he's still loving doesn't go out as much and is actually playful now..

A week after having him neutered i had my other cat micky done as well but since it..a week later he's very quiet, now hercules is back to full fitness and still likes to randomly attack micky, micky always held his ground..

Since having micky done he's scared of Hercules and very quiet not playful anymore , hardly eats and sleeps alot..

Still very nice to me but obviously not the same.. Is this because he's been neutered and lost his fight against his brother who is only wanting to play half the time now anyway..

Took him to the vets, they couldn't find anything wrong, but he's not the same anymore. Neuterd at 2 years

catlogged

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
"if you castrate your cat he will become a vegetable"

After 6 yrs mine has slowed down a bit(age?), but that's still preferable. In the past, I had 3 intact males, consecutively. The first disappeared in the middle of winter with snow on the ground. He was about 4 or 5 at the time. The second one got mad after we brought a kitten home. He sprayed the wall. I clapped my hands and said stop! He gave me a GTH look and left out the cat door, never saw him again. He was about 3. The third(around 3) got run over on a road nearby. He was out tom catting. 3 years old seems to be the limit unless they're locked inside. They tend to go 'wild'. I've seen several 'wild'(moved out on their on) ones in my yard over the years. 

My 'vegetable' has lived longer than any of the others and hasn't sprayed since he was fixed. Spraying was the main reason we had him fixed. However, if the Humane Society hadn't opened up nearby, we probably wouldn't have. They were about 3X's cheaper than the vets.

jennifer swim

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Neutering a cat does not make them a vegetable! It's not a labotomy for God sake! SMH! [emoji]128580[/emoji]

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like vegetables (well not radishes so much)