Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

Disinfecting Following Possible Giardia/coccidia

Discussion in 'Cat Health' started by david68, May 20, 2019.

1. david68

david68 Thread Starter TCS Member Adult Cat

Oct 15, 2014
    I had an 8-week old kitten with diarrhea show up at my farm cat colony last week, and he's on Albon, Metronidazole, and Panacur. The vet couldn't identify the exact cause in the stool, but he was extremely gassy. He is now getting better. Stool was yellow and runny, but now brown and firmer. I've had him confined to a single spare bathroom, but because he had diarrhea, he's made a huge mess.

In terms of cleanup, what's the best thing to use to clean and kill any giardia or coccidia cysts he may have shed? I was thinking I'd do one disinfecting sweep today since accidents have mostly ceased. And, yes, I will make sure to rinse thoroughly with water.

Many sites recommend a 1/32 or 1/16 bleach solution, left on for a minute, then rinsed away.

2. She's a witch

She's a witch TCS Member Alpha Cat

Feb 21, 2018
    Europe/WA, USA
    Personally I'd never recommend using bleach (even diluted) around cats. I was told that the only thing that truly kills giardia's cysts is hot temperature. In my case I cleaned the apartment with hot water with vinegar. If you have a steaming cleaner/mop, that should do the job.

3. david68

david68 Thread Starter TCS Member Adult Cat

Oct 15, 2014
    I do have a heat gun, and it's a small bathroom with a tile floor. If I cleaned it and then dried it with the heat gun, that would basically "steam" the floor.

4. hiya_unicorns

hiya_unicorns TCS Member Kitten

May 17, 2019
    I second a steam mop if it's hardwood floors. I had a similar situation 2 years ago and that's how I disinfected, and now I just do a steam clean every month so it was worth the money to get it!