dishsoap is cracking my hands....can anyone suggest a mild one?

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I generally use Dawn blue, since it's tough on grease, and gentle enough to use on cats.....but my daughter, who's now old enough to help out in the kitchen, has a bad reaction to it. So I bought Palmolive,  which doesn't hurt her hands, but is making mine crack and bleed. 

Can anyone suggest a dish soap that is mild enough not to cause a reaction for my daughter, who seems to be sensitive to many cleaning products, and won't make my skin crack like a dried-out floodplain?

I'm using Herbacin for the cracking, but I'd rather avoid the problem in the first place....

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use the Dawn Blue so I can't really help.  Maybe you could try some of the natural cleaners.  I have used some of the Method products and they worked well, I think they sell the full line of their products at Target now.  My supermarket carries some of their products but I hadn't noticed if they sell the dishwashing liquid.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
The only way my SIL has gotten around it is by wearing gloves.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sunlight is what I use. The regular yellow stuff. You also could try one of the scent free dye free ones made for babies bottles. The one I've used is called dapple.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've been using Method brand for a long while now.  They say it's safer for the environment, so I'd think it might be not as harsh on your hands.  I also like that they have different scents than other brands,.  Right now the one I use is tangerine.

Caveat being it's a pump bottle and as you get to the bottom I find it's difficult to get the last of it out.  They sell refills, which are about 2 bottles worth.  It's also a bit pricer than others.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The ONLY dish soap that doesn't irritate my hands (and ezcema on them) is Seventh Generation. 

I use gloves religiously for dishes, but wash fruit and veggies with my bare hands… all other soaps really wreck my skin with just that little bit of contact.

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try Dawn Pure Essentials. It's free of the harsh chemicals that can cause dry cracking skin.

For the dry skin, try eczema lotion .It works great for for the scaly dry cracking eczema on my hands
I really like the Eucerin one but it's a little greasy for a few minutes after applying. The Aveeno one kind of works for me. Maybe also wear dish washing gloves to protect your hands from the soap.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They have Dawn Olay moisturizing dish soap. . .haven't tried it myself but the scent isn't very strong.

I like Dawn pineapple scent. I absolutely can't stand the blue Dawn scent and can even taste it on the dishes after washing. Crazy, huh? That's the only dish soap that does that to me.

I also like Watkins citrus scented dish soap, for a more natural suggestion. It smells like Sprite :lol3:.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They have Dawn Olay moisturizing dish soap. . .haven't tried it myself but the scent isn't very strong.

I like Dawn pineapple scent. I absolutely can't stand the blue Dawn scent and can even taste it on the dishes after washing. Crazy, huh? That's the only dish soap that does that to me.

I also like Watkins citrus scented dish soap, for a more natural suggestion. It smells like Sprite
I can see how Dawn could end up leaving residue on your dishes...it's a very sudsy, concentrated soap. Which is actually why I like it. People around her leave their dishes and I often have to scrub of dried-on food. To get around any residue, I run all of my dishes under hot water before putting them in the drying rack.  I've heard that soaking your dishes in a sink full of hot water, with 1/2 cup of white vinager will take off any soap residues as well.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only way my SIL has gotten around it is by wearing gloves.
  i totally agree! my hands are extremely sensitive to chemicals in general. they used to crack and bleed just like the original posters. after trying ointments from the dermatologist (greasy, couldn't use hands on food/food prep, or pet cats) and trying many different lotions, the best for healing my hands is aquaphor by eucerin. aquaphor ointment is very soothing and absorbs into the skin. my SIL used aquaphor for my nephews diaper rash when he was a baby -- he had sensitive skin. but the most effective preventative measure for me is to wear gloves when dealing with any chemicals (including dish soap, which can be harsh). i prefer disposable vinyl gloves, just my personal preference.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can see how Dawn could end up leaving residue on your dishes...it's a very sudsy, concentrated soap. Which is actually why I like it. People around her leave their dishes and I often have to scrub of dried-on food. To get around any residue, I run all of my dishes under hot water before putting them in the drying rack.  I've heard that soaking your dishes in a sink full of hot water, with 1/2 cup of white vinager will take off any soap residues as well.
Yeah but it's only the blue Dawn that does it for me. . .I can use the pink or yellow or green Dawn, no problem. Something about the blue scent gets in the back of my throat and I can't shake it. And it doesn't matter how much it's rinsed---I can taste the blue Dawn on the dishes until they're washed with another soap to get rid of it. Although I suppose vinegar would be like another soap and would probably work too. It's just a weird reaction I have to that scent, I guess.

I haven't washed dishes in a week (not as bad as it sounds---I don't use a lot of dishes!) and my hands are cracked anyway. For me I think it's the dry air and working with paper all day. Dishes don't seem to be an issue for my hands.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you get fairy liquid in America? But the only way to your hands and your daughter's is wearing gloves. Even prince William used them when he was at university.
You may say you can't use them but it's just a case of getting used to them.
They should also be worn when washing fruit and veggies.

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I can wear them...I even have a pair.....I just hate them lol. I like to be able to feel if the dishes are clean. However, if I teach my daughter to do dishes using gloves, I can use my Dawn again 

I've heard of fairy liquid, my mum used it...but I don't think I've ever seen it here in Canada.

I get the point about fruits and veggies, too.....potatoes make my hands feel horrible after peeling.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you have room for 2 bottles?  Then you could use Dawn and your daughter could use Palmolive. 

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's what I'm doing now. I have her bottle and mine.....and of course I don't pay attention, and reach for the nearest bottle without looking lol!  I should get her a smaller bottle, since she rarely helps with dishes anyway, then I'd notice the difference 

Now that I think of it, I don't think I had as much trouble it the apple-scented Palmolive....That'd solve the problem.

Thanks to everyone who joined the conversation, I appreciate everyone's input

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you get your daughter used to the gloves now, she'll always use them.

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, I'll do that....then she can avoid my problem 

I can't use bleach, or any other harsh chemicals, as well as certain dish soaps. If I use the wrong thing, I go blotchy all the way up to my elbows, and itch for days. Or my skin dries and cracks. Better to avoid that altogether.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do they still make "Palmolive" dish soap? Apparently that's mild on the skin.  Also washing in cooler water instead of hot helps.

Also get some silicone barrier cream. I can't remember the name of the one I had bought for myself.  I wash my hands a lot at work and they were really raw. The silicone barrier cream helped a lot.  You can find it in either the hand cream aisle or the aisle where you get stuff for diaper rash.  Make sure it's only a silicone barrier cream though, nothing else.  You aren't looking for a moisturizer that will easily wash off. You want something that will stay around for a few hand washings.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have to use gloves, plus I want to use the hottest water I can for cleaning the dishes. I use the PC brand neoprene gloves and I find they last longer than the cheaper rubber ones, give more protection against heat and they don't get so stinky.