Digging to China

cat dad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have two boys (litter mates), 18mos old. Both are healthy, my big guy is 14lbs and my little guy is 11lbs. I have two jumbo sized litter boxes about 6 inches deep, I use Precious Cat ultra clumping and I clean at least once a day, usually twice.

My little guy will dig almost to the bottom, pee, then cover it up. The problem is then the urine sticks to the bottom of the box, making for a messy and much longer clean up then necessary.

On the list of things, it's on the bottom, but I was wondering if anyone knows what this behavior means and if there is a way to entice him to stop. Or should I just decide to find it cute and deal with it?

Last edited:

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How old is the box you are using? A new one will be slicker on the bottom and the clumps will stick less. I have one cat that digs down to the bottom, too. Some people get a Sterilite super large container and use that. I see they make a clear that holds 100 quarts.They also make smaller ones, too. Check out their website for details.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cat dad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The litter boxes are over a year old, so I'll try replacing them and see if this helps.

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  He might just be the kind of cat that needs a very  large, deep box filled with more litter ( which makes it harder for them to dig all the way down to the bottom because, the litter will just keep sliding back as he digs  ( at least  if the litterbox is cleaned regularly ).  

Some cats need litter at least 4 or 5 inches deep ;  maybe some even need it 6 inches!   

If you can manage it so it works,  the Precious Cat clumps so well that  you don't need to change the whole box often.  just keep adding littter as needed.  

As Catspaw said, some people do use big storage containers.