Digging to China..

gen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you have enough litter in the box? One of my kitties goes into a digging craze when there's not enough litter. She's actually made grooves in the bottom of one box. As soon as we top up the litter the digging stops.

cazlee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DarkMavis

She is our only pet.
Peanut was an only cat for the first year of her life. She was found abandoned at 4-5 weeks.

Among other behavior problems, she used to dig like you say your cat does, dig straight to china if she could dig through the plastic.

Alot of her behavior problems were significantly reduced, if not alleviated all together when my boyfriend and I moved in together. He had a cat already, and we adopted Moo shortly after I moved in. I think her problem was a combination of boredom and being away from mom too early. Once she learned from another cat biting hurts, she stopped pouncing/bunny kicking our feet so much, for example.

I don't know your cats history/temperment etc, or if it's even practical for you to bring another cat into the home, but it may help her if you ever decide to bring another cat home.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry I don't know why people are making suggestions for diggers? Diggers don't stop digging. I'm sure my three have joined Diggers Unite.

One time Flutterby was in the litter tray digging for an hour
so I took the litter tray away only for her then to dig at the carpet and in the middle of the air. Fluffy will go in and dig after Flutterby and Tales. Tales just likes to flick it all around the kitty room.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

Sorry I don't know why people are making suggestions for diggers? Diggers don't stop digging. I'm sure my three have joined Diggers Unite.

One time Flutterby was in the litter tray digging for an hour
so I took the litter tray away only for her then to dig at the carpet and in the middle of the air. Fluffy will go in and dig after Flutterby and Tales. Tales just likes to flick it all around the kitty room.
HA! An HOUR??
Wow, my Genever's got nothing on yours then. Except you have a kitty room where they do this. I have a corner of my bedroom. (we're working on that though finally, going to start house hunting in January!) A half hour, yes, I have experienced that. But man...

Yes, I am resigned to the fact that she just likes to dig. I only posted this thread because I didn't know WHY she likes to dig, I thought there might be a reason for it. I hadn't experienced a digger before so I didn't think it was normal. Sigh, now I know.
(and sure, it would be cool if there was some digging remedy, but hey, we take them as they come, right?)

Well, let's see, to answer from other posts, I have tried lots of litter and very little litter, no difference.

As for getting another cat... I like it! I would love to add another, BF wants to too but is a little hesitant. Perhaps once we move to a bigger place.

Also, the rolling around in the litter box, my mom actually said maybe Genever is itchy and it feels good? Well she won't let us brush her, it results in chomping on the brush and our hands, so it's a possibility. I did get a new brush for her for xmas, a soft boars hair bristle brush which she actually does like, so maybe some brushing will help with the rolling hobby. It really is gross.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I always know who's on the litterbox with my 3. Sophie's the dainty digger, as in 3-4 small digs before she does what she has to do, Jack does about 6 deep digs, but Rosie's nearly through to Australia when she digs, and she's the only one who scrapes her paws down the wall as well

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I think it is just the way they learned it. Much will spend 15 minutes in the box scratching every part of the box except the LITTER. The only way we get her to stop is to go in and cover it for her. It doesn't matter if the litter is fresh and she is the first one in there.

kittyl0ve4

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a digger as well. Monster is big on his digging. He will usually dig about 6 holes before he goes to the bathroom. He has to be completely satisfied with the hole he digs before he will go. Sometimes he will go in the box just to dig around. He always scratches the sides of the box, the wall behind the box, and the floor in front of it.

As I seen was mentioned, Monster will also "bury" his food after eating sometimes. And I've seen him "burying" his vomit after throwing up, before I clean it up.

Personally, I don't get annoyed with his digging in the box. But his litterbox used to be in my room and when I was asleep, it really got on my nerves then.. I actually think its pretty cute.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yup. that first post in this thread sounds exactly like Wilbur. to a "T".

I stopped using litterpan liners because he dug through them.

I had to use a covered litterbox because he got litter and poo everywhere.

I put WAY too much litter in the box to somewhat keep the digging from the bottom. but he scratches the sides, and even sticks his paw out and scratches the door, and the outside of the box.

He comes out, walks around for a minute, then goes back in and digs some more.

tinker is dainty, and doesn't have this problem

shanynne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Fastnoc, the picture of that little kitten with headphones on rocking away to music just has me cracked up!!! Especially because I am doing the very same thing right now!!!