different feeding method for 2 cats?

lorimer71

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have acquired 2 cats from the same home at different times. I have many questions but will stick with feeding on this one. Cat 1 (7 months) I got first and I just leave out bowls of dried food and I give him some wet food on occasion. At 2 I got about a month later and he has been hiding. He also was sick with fleas, tapeworms and a urinary tract infection so i have been giving him wet food only (per vet). It's been about 3 weeks now annd the hiding cat is at the door to the other cat and vice versa so i figure why not let them meet. Cat 2 (the hiding cat) tried to eat the other cats food. Not to mention a few hisses and a little cat fight with them sort of batting each other's head with the paws. No real screeching or a fierce fighting.

My concern in this post is really about the food and not about to friends in one household that are now being rather pissy to each other in their new one. It's really the first cat and younger one that is being more pissy than the other one is being. The 2nd cat eats iie the Russians are in the harbour and doesn't leave an once of food left. The youuger one eats whenever(dry food) doesn't really care for treats or really care for wet ffod that much. How am I going to be able to feed them? The newer cat beelined right for the other cats food. I could feed both cats at the same time but i don't think the younger cat will be in much of a hurry to eat. I'm afraid to see how much the older cat will try to consume. You really should see him go. Not sure he even chews. Reminds me of some dogs we have had. Thanks in advance for everybody's words of wisdom.
Best,
Richard

rlavach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Feed the two cats in timed meals. Most feed twice a day, some even break it into 3 times. You can look at the back of the package & determine how much food each cat should be getting, proportionate to their weight. Then break up that amount into 2 meals. One in the morning, one at night. It is really a good practice to do that, even with one cat, because many cats will overeat when left with a big bowl of food all day.