Dietary Changes, Am I Feeding Them Enough?

sooser

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I got a couple of big boys (between 15-20lbs) and I'm concerned that I'm not feeding them enough. Spook has been having some troubles peeing (already seen vet about this, he has an inflamed bladder thanks to stress over a recent hasty move) so he and Rogue are now both on wet food only until that resolves, instead of wet and dry. Because of this, I worry I'm not feeding them enough. Between the two of them they get a can and a half of 3oz Merrick Purrfect Bistro wet a day. This is split between breakfast, lunch, and dinner. They're a year and 4 months and have mostly stopped growing.

They seem to be okay, their energy is good, but they've been a bit cranky. I think they really miss their dry food, which I was semi-free feeding them (they got 1 bowl each over the course of a day, and a half can of wet for dinner).
The vet didn't give me suggestions on a revised serving size, and the serving suggestions on the can honestly seem a little ridiculous. 1 can per 3.5lbs? That'd be 4/5 cans a day at least, and I don't think they can even eat that much!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A 3-oz can and a half each? Probably not enough for their size, unless the food is very high calorie. Most indoor neutered cats need about 15-20 calories per pound per day. Larger cats seem to go for the lower end most of the time. So we'll say 15 calories per pound, 15 pounds. . .that would be 300 calories per day each. This is probably at least 3 3-oz cans each per day, though I haven't looked up the calories in that brand yet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sooser

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Aaahhh sorry, I made a big mistake in my orig post, they're actually at the 5oz, not the 3oz, and it won't let me edit oh nooo :c But thank youuu. I'll start giving them more.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sooser

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've given them more food, they should be good for today now <3 And starting tomorrow, a can and a half each instead of that for both of them.