Did You Spay/neuter A Cat In 2017-18?

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You also have to tell us how much it cost, that's the whole point ;).
...That's a good point. ;)

I actually don't know for my two, since I paid an adoption fee rather than the cost of the surgeries. I paid $25 per cat for the adoptions (employee discount + a further discount because they were less adoptable kittens) so I'm sure the cost of the surgery was more than that.

I'll try to pull invoices to see, if I still remember by tomorrow.

Benjamin Franklin (Benji)

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My grandparents recently got their kitty neutered, it was $37 with the lowered fee at the big city Humane Society.

1. Male
2. House pet
3. Low-cost clinic at a shelter/rescue, lowered fee due to the owners being seniors
4. Living in the city
5. Canada

Frank123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I took my female cat (house pet) to her regular vet to be spayed. The total cost was $275. That included the cost of surgery, anesthesia, IV, Chemical Profile test, take home pain meds, e-collar, etc, and free two week follow up.
I live in a smaller city in Massachusetts.

Ladysnuggable

Mother of Cats
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've spayed 3 females and 12 males. My 4 personal cats rescued from walmart between the ages of 3 weeks to 9 weeks (2 boys 2 girls) have a plan with the VCA that covers: shots, emegency visits, pain meds after neuter and spay,1 kitten 1st exam, 2 exams for shots and before fixing, 5 emergency vet visits, FIV and AIDs testing, 1 month revolution, blood work before fixing, cone of shame and i forget what else but it was really good deal for 50 bucks a month for 12 months. We've used most of the visits on Jaspur for his chronic vomiting. instead of paying a vet visit i only had to pay for medication.
The others feral caught at walmart as well, We do Trap Neuter Socialize and Adopt. Their ages ranging from 3 months to 8 months were all fixed for free from a Spay Neuter clinic in Auburn, CA about an hour from where I live. Ferals are always free. They also offer low cost spay neuter ranging from 20 to 40 dollars for both cats and dogs as well as rabies shots for 10 dollars and other vaccinations. We did the rabies shot for each one. very very good deal. The other vaccines I did at home.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ Yes I did ... But did not do it myself . :p
The non-profit clinic I use charges $60.oo male/female. Includes 3-in-1 vaccine & deworming . No extra charge for pregnant kitty . $5.oo extra for microchip or rabies vaccine .
If you do TNR with an approved trap and appointment it's free !
( they also have traps to borrow )
:bigeyes:

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
As far as I know, no vet in my area will ever spay a pregnant cat!
Yeah, that one depends on your location. Here they will spay in the early stages of pregnancy, but if the cat has gotten big and her milk is coming in they'll say it's too late. Different places have different policies.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1. Was it spaying (a female) or neutering (a male)?

Spay - 1 Female

2. House pet or feral TNR?

House Pet

3. Your regular vet or a low-cost clinic at a shelter/rescue?

Regular Vet

4. Do you live in a rural area, small town or a city?

I live in a rural area near a town/small city.

5. Which country or US state are you?

Canada, Eastern Ontario

Price: $261.45

Included: Take Home Pain Medication, Patient Monitoring Incare/IV Fluids, General Anesthesia, Nail Trimming, Laser Treatment, Follow Up.
Optional Addition at extra cost: Blood Test.

They also have a loyalty stamp program set up where you can earn towards free Heart Worm and Lyme diseases tests and vaccine, or $100 Reward towards any scheduled appointment of any kind.

There are SPCA Spay/Neuter clinics but they are really far away, I'd have to drive 6 Hours+
At least I am happy with my local vet nevertheless, despite costing an arm and a leg which is of course not entirely fun.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here in Inyo County CA, the 9th largest county in the US, with a county-wide population of less than 20,000 (more like NV than CA), l used my regular vet at my cost. Our s/n assistance program takes too long to give approvals ( 5 more feral litters born while waiting over a year for approval). I had 3 females, 2 males neutered & vaccinated @ $165/female and $125 for the males. All inside housepets - I adopted a pg cat from a woman entering hospice. The mother cat was actually an even $200 but had all the tests done - my vet gave me a huge break because of all the ferals I bring in & the cat is a companion cat for my disabled daughter.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I did not get a cat spayed or neutered, however these are some local rates.

1. Local No Kill Rescues Clinic - Riverside, CA which is a moderate sized city. $45 for pet cat (tattoo on belly to indicate spayed/netuered), $35 for feral cat (will ear tip) same prices for males and females. If you haven't gotten the rabies vaccine yet, they charge an extra $6 for that shot but they periodically have free rabies shots with spay/neuter offers that they give away at community events. If the cat is pregnant or obese at the time of surgery it is an extra $20-50 depending on how much longer it takes. A microchip at the time of surgery is $21 extra.

2. Riverside Humane Society - Riverside, ca a moderate sized city. Spay or neuter on all cats is $40 with an extra fee of $17 if they are pregnant or the surgery is complicated. Pain medication is not included in the cost of the surgery and is $8 extra. This place usually has a 60 day waiting list to get scheduled.

3. Private Vet Practice - Riverside, ca a moderate size city. If you do the surgery on a Monday or Tuesday they give you a 10% discount because they are clinic days. Base rate includes per surgery exam, sedative, pain medication, IV (females get IV warming and fluids but not males), full vital monitoring with blood pressure, O2 levels, temperature and heart monitoring, take home pain medication and follow up appointment. A spay starts at $125, with extra $40-125 if pregnant, $40-60 if in heat, $50-100 if obese. Feral females are $99. Neuters are $85 for pets, $75 for feral with $50-100 fees for complications like retained testicles.

WillowLea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 1 male cat. He lives indoors 100% of the time. It cost $85 to have him neutered which included his shots. I live in a small town in western Pennsylvania.
There is a program here called the SNIPP program that will send you a voucher for spay or neuter to lower the cost to $45 and $9 for vaccines.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We got Marcy spayed in December. It would have been $70 but we had a voucher from a local spay/neuter program that saved us $50. This was in small town Missouri. We rescued her off the street and planned to keep her until we got her spayed and healthy then find her a home, but we got too attached.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was in 2017 , female cat (spay ) cost I think only £35. She’s a house cat, it was at a regular vets inside a pet superstore, I’m in London (east end ) , not sure population but too many ... UK

LizzyBees88

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had my male cat neutered at a place called the S.N.I.P. Clinic. It's a low cost facility here in Louisville, KY. The cost was $45.00.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got my two indoor cats from shelters here in suburban Chicago about 3 years ago. The shelters, the Naperville Area Humane Society and Animal Rescue Foundation of Illinois (ARF-IL), have a policy of spaying or neutering their cats before putting them up for adoption. The cost is included in the cost of the cat. Mingo, my male, was considered a kitten at 5 months, so I paid $100 for him; the Humane Society's cost for cats over 6 months is/was $25. The cost has now gone up to $50 for adult cats, kittens for $150, and seniors (over 7), free. I got Lily from ARF, and as she was a mom cat, the cost was $75. I believe ARF charges $150 for non-mom cats and males. Don't know their policy about kittens. Both shelters also gave them all their vaccinations and dewormed them, too, so there was a great cost benefit.

According to the ARF-IL website (Spay or Neuter Your Pet), the State of Illinois also offers spay/neuter subsidies for a $15 co-pay to low-income families and to TNR applicants.

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Both. 1 female and 1 male. I had kitten packages for them both which included the cost of spaying. Female would've been $259 without kitten package. Male was $159 without package.
Both were abandoned strays turned house pets.
My regular vet. Banfield. However, they were very kind, and lowered the cost for me some. When I rescued the male, they gave me the kitten package price, even though he wasn't a kitten by their age standards.
Rural area between two cities. I can easily drive to either for vet care.
California.

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I live in a metro are ( Atlanta) Prices vary greatly. My vet charges about $600 for a neuter. However there is a lo
I'm collecting data for a future article about the price of spaying/neutering in various locations. We won't mention any veterinarians by name but I do want to see if we can find patterns in respect to different states (or internationally) and types of area.

If so can you please let us know how much it cost you to spay/neuter a cat in the past year and a half? Please share the following in the reply -

If you didn't take a cat in to be fixed during that time period and would still like to help, I'd appreciate it immensely if you could make a phone call to a local vet or two and ask them about the prices for a male neuter and for spaying a female. Then post it here along with the additional info.

I hope that we can create a good resource together. Once we have enough data, I'm going to curate it into a detailed guide.

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I live in a metro area (Atlanta) Prices vary greatly. My vet charges 404 for neuter and 507 for spay. A low-cost vet charges 50 for neuter and 70 for spay.
An organization whose m ission is to spay/neuter ferals will spay household pets for 60 and neuter for 40. Another organization whose mission is to provide low cost spay neuter charges 45 for neuter and 60 for spay. I am guessing that my vet has one of the highest fees for spay neuter although they are competitive on other things. Hope this helps.

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I live in Atlanta. I forgot to mention that there is an organization that will spay/neuter feral cats for $20, although they have grants for most of the area and charge 0 if you are in the right zip code. To be considered feral they must be dropped off in a humane trap (which they will supply free). I have had several ferals altered there and they are returned in good condition. A friend also had his HHPs altered there and there was no problem. For the ferals they also give rabies as required by law and tip the ears. They also treat dogs.