Did Royal Canin Calm help your cat?

Anne2021

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am wondering if anyone has had success (or failure) trying Royal Canin Calm cat food for a behavior issue or anxiety?

I have been dealing with issues since adopting a cat almost nine months ago. I am always on the lookout for re-homing options for her good and the good of my other cats. That said, Royal Canin Calm has been suggested to me by the vet and it looks expensive, but I am willing to give it a shot if it might help. Basically, she is hyperactive and overly assertive and rambunctious with one of my cats (my other young one) and nervous about the other two (my seniors). She pants when she is playing strenuously or when she is stressed and I often see that when she is with the older cats or when she has to be segregated due to relationship issues.

So, has anyone seen Royal Canin Calm help with stress, anxiety, fear issues that lead to hissing and swatting, or hyperactivity? (Or did anything get worse or just not make a difference)?

Thank you.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
You may have seen the reviews on Chewy and Amazon which seem to be pretty positive although I didn't read closely enough to know if any one of those address your concerns.

This is a listing of posts on The Cat Site where members mention the food;
Search Results for Query: royal canin calm

Have you tried other calming products, or Cat Music?

There might also be something in these, if you haven't already seen the articles (and for other readers and lurkers);
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction – TheCatSite Articles

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

Hopefully members see your post soon and can give more specific replies.

KiminKy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am wondering if anyone has had success (or failure) trying Royal Canin Calm cat food for a behavior issue or anxiety?

I have been dealing with issues since adopting a cat almost nine months ago. I am always on the lookout for re-homing options for her good and the good of my other cats. That said, Royal Canin Calm has been suggested to me by the vet and it looks expensive, but I am willing to give it a shot if it might help. Basically, she is hyperactive and overly assertive and rambunctious with one of my cats (my other young one) and nervous about the other two (my seniors). She pants when she is playing strenuously or when she is stressed and I often see that when she is with the older cats or when she has to be segregated due to relationship issues.

So, has anyone seen Royal Canin Calm help with stress, anxiety, fear issues that lead to hissing and swatting, or hyperactivity? (Or did anything get worse or just not make a difference)?

Thank you.
Did you try the food or did anything help for your cat?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anne2021

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did you try the food or did anything help for your cat?
Hi! Yes, I did try the food for about 3 months. I also went ahead with the Prozac. Neither made a bit of difference in her or her behavior. She is who she is. I am convinced this is her personality and she is hard-wired to be this way. I need to find her a new home, but that means one of those sites where you are matched up with a stranger and try to vet them to see if they would give her a good and loving home. It's a very stressful decision to make and I keep procrastinating because I'm nervous for her future and because she will need to be in a one-cat-only home, but her presence is unhealthy for my other cats and sadly, for me. I tried everything and spent so much money, but nothing helped. Do you have a cat with similar issues?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

KiminKy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Yes, I did try the food for about 3 months. I also went ahead with the Prozac. Neither made a bit of difference in her or her behavior. She is who she is. I am convinced this is her personality and she is hard-wired to be this way. I need to find her a new home, but that means one of those sites where you are matched up with a stranger and try to vet them to see if they would give her a good and loving home. It's a very stressful decision to make and I keep procrastinating because I'm nervous for her future and because she will need to be in a one-cat-only home, but her presence is unhealthy for my other cats and sadly, for me. I tried everything and spent so much money, but nothing helped. Do you have a cat with similar issues?
I have a beloved cat, Obi, who is very angry about a cat we’ve introduced after 4 months of trying- Obi even bit my husband. The bite required medical care. Giving him away is not going to happen. He’s my favorite - he’s just so distressed over this cat. The new cat? Tried everything to find him a home. There are no rescues or shelters here. And he will get hit by a car if we leave him outside. It also gets very cold here. So, I’d been reading and watching videos, nothing worked. Gradual intros? Nope. Counter conditioning? Nope. Jackson Galaxy says to not use a spray bottie. But after responding to you, I announced that I’m using the water, I don’t care what anyone thinks. 24 hours later, Obi is no longer trying to attack the cat. And, he’s happy as ever. Would this work for everyone? I doubt it. But it’s working here. Seems that for us, water spray was the trick. Thank you for responding. I know how this feels so I hope you find a home or a solution!!

Anne2021

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a beloved cat, Obi, who is very angry about a cat we’ve introduced after 4 months of trying- Obi even bit my husband. The bite required medical care. Giving him away is not going to happen. He’s my favorite - he’s just so distressed over this cat. The new cat? Tried everything to find him a home. There are no rescues or shelters here. And he will get hit by a car if we leave him outside. It also gets very cold here. So, I’d been reading and watching videos, nothing worked. Gradual intros? Nope. Counter conditioning? Nope. Jackson Galaxy says to not use a spray bottie. But after responding to you, I announced that I’m using the water, I don’t care what anyone thinks. 24 hours later, Obi is no longer trying to attack the cat. And, he’s happy as ever. Would this work for everyone? I doubt it. But it’s working here. Seems that for us, water spray was the trick. Thank you for responding. I know how this feels so I hope you find a home or a solution!!
I have had to use a spray bottle before, too. Sometimes nothing else gets through the incorrigible behavior. I'm so glad something is helping your situation. Which cat did you use it on? Obi or the new cat? (I'm not sure if your new cat behaves badly and that's why Obi is angry).

I've been at this a year and Bailey just doesn't act like the other cats. She wants to be entertained almost all the time. She knocks the hood off the aquarium every day if she isn't segregated, and that's with various methods of trying to block the aquarium stand. There are issues daily that make me say to myself, I didn't want a dog, that's why I have cats. I can't handle a cat that acts like a perpetual puppy and neither can my beloved Josie - who is the most agitated - or my other two.

Anne2021

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

KiminKy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have had to use a spray bottle before, too. Sometimes nothing else gets through the incorrigible behavior. I'm so glad something is helping your situation. Which cat did you use it on? Obi or the new cat? (I'm not sure if your new cat behaves badly and that's why Obi is angry).

I've been at this a year and Bailey just doesn't act like the other cats. She wants to be entertained almost all the time. She knocks the hood off the aquarium every day if she isn't segregated, and that's with various methods of trying to block the aquarium stand. There are issues daily that make me say to myself, I didn't want a dog, that's why I have cats. I can't handle a cat that acts like a perpetual puppy and neither can my beloved Josie - who is the most agitated - or my other two.
The water is working on Obi, and he was the instigator. The new cat was fine. I know what you mean, I have a ginger cat who loves attention. Bad attention. Good attention. Any attention. He also eats everything including rubber bands. I assume you can’t move the aquarium to an off limits room? I don’t allow mine in the bedrooms for example.

There are so many cats it can be hard to give one away to a good home. If you find anything else that helps, let me know. I would get more toys but they seem to prefer plastic lids and paper and boxes 🤷🏻‍♀️. Keep me posted.