Diarrhea worse after deworming

hodgesC1234

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I brought in a stray mama and her babies a few weeks ago. Everyone got checked out at the vet and got dewormer just in case. Babies are taking one dose a week each and mama just finished hers. She had diarrhea a few times a day before starting the medicine, it continued while I gave her the medicine and today it was the worst it’s been. One of the kittens has been puking but I’ve only been able to catch one, I’m not sure if its more than one doing it. I believe one of them had diarrhea today also. Everyone’s acting normal other than that but I’m getting concerned for my mama cat. When I first brought her in her poops were completely normal and not as frequent, her diet hasn’t changed so I’m not sure what it could be other than worms. Are worms really that bad that she would be having diarrhea 3-4 times a day?

I can’t call the vet until tomorrow so I’m just looking for some peace of mind until then.:confused2:

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
From what I know of dewormers it's not uncommon for there to be diarrhea or for it to get worse while treatment happens. Make sure she's getting plenty of fluids, so she doesn't get dehydrated and keep an eye on her is all I can suggest for now. Talking with the vet tomorrow wouldn't be a bad idea either as they can likely give you more suggestions.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
DO call the vet tomorrow, just to be on the safe side, but I'm betting that mama and babies were carrying a full load of worms, and they can only come out two ways. You are seeing both of them. It isn't at all unusual, and the more worms, the more upset there seems to be.