Diarrhea From Antibiotics

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitten is on antibiotics and experiencing some diarrhea. I've been giving him yogurt and probiotics to try and help but his stools are still super runny. I'm just wondering if this is something I should be worried about? Is it normal for the diarrhea to last through the full course of the antibiotics and then get better after?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have tried pumpkin and it doesn't work for my kitten. I'm just wondering if it's okay for him to have diarrhea while on the antibiotics. He'll be done in 4 days.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So the vet recommended reducing his frequency of dosage. But I'm worried that would might open the door for the infection to come back?

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of our cats occasionally gets antibiotic-induced diarrhea that no probiotic or amount of pumpkin can overcome. If it's not too bad, and our cat is staying well hydrated, our vet recommends that we don't do anything to treat the diarrhea until we finish that course of antibiotics. Then if the diarrhea persists, our vet is okay with us giving him slippery elm bark syrup until his stools firm up.

Of course, if the diarrhea is so bad that our kitty starts to get dehydrated, then that's a different ball of wax, and the vet will prescribe whatever he needs to get us through that course of antibiotics. :)

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! So I decided to just continue the antibiotics last night and this morning he did a normal poop! I think maybe the probiotics kicked in. I'm going to just continue as normal now

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! So I decided to just continue the antibiotics last night and this morning he did a normal poop! I think maybe the probiotics kicked in. I'm going to just continue as normal now
Awesome! That's great news. :)