Deworming Rescued Cat

cute_sunny

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi after deworming kitten 2month old for the first time, he pooped worms the following two days and today (day 2) at noon seems like he lost his appetite and doesn't want to eat, not as active as he usually is. is this related to the deworming process? or he's bored?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I don't know enough about worming to try to answer your question. But, by me responding to your post it will 'bump it up' on the list so more members might see it.

What kind of worms are your treating, and what are you using? Answers to these questions might help with answers.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, im not an expert in deworming meds, but to my mind 2 month old kittens don't have the capacity to get bored, plus, he needs to eat even if you have to handfeed him. Do you have a vet you can call? Try unflavored Pedialyte and kitten glop, here are a couple recipes;

Kitten-Rescue.com

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cute_sunny

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. I don't know enough about worming to try to answer your question. But, by me responding to your post it will 'bump it up' on the list so more members might see it.

What kind of worms are your treating, and what are you using? Answers to these questions might help with answers.
I don't know the type...maybe roundworm/hookworm? i saw them after he gave him treatment very small long white thing maybe about 1 or less inch. it's a tablet the vet divided into 4 and gave him one dose. checked the package no name :p just says dewormer. I will ask next time I go there :)

cute_sunny

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, im not an expert in deworming meds, but to my mind 2 month old kittens don't have the capacity to get bored, plus, he needs to eat even if you have to handfeed him. Do you have a vet you can call? Try unflavored Pedialyte and kitten glop, here are a couple recipes;

Kitten-Rescue.com
hmmm he's been playing with litter box but I know he doesn't know what a litter box is. I am hoping he doesn't eat the litter. this litter turns into powder doesn't clump. this morning he seems to only prefer dry food over wet food. I have whiskas tuna/white fish pouches, which I divided into three portions/day and add dry food for kitten.I will observe him today and ask the vet this evening if needed.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know what litter turns into powder - but, a kitten should not have clumping litter just in case they do try to ingest it. The best non-clumping litter I have seen around here is Fresh Step Non-Clumping litter - it certainly does not turn into powder. I have seen it used around multiple sets of kittens.

cute_sunny

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe this would help you ID the type of worm it is/was?

A Guide to Worms in Cats
thank you~should be roundworms then. he had a pot belly and lived outside with his mom for two months, they are not long like tapeworms (15-60m). I'm quite worried because I have to clean his litter and change the pads where he pees/poops. don't want to get infected :p

cute_sunny

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know what litter turns into powder - but, a kitten should not have clumping litter just in case they do try to ingest it. The best non-clumping litter I have seen around here is Fresh Step Non-Clumping litter - it certainly does not turn into powder. I have seen it used around multiple sets of kittens.
I mean litter looks like small white wood logs if a cat pees on the litter, the litter turns into a powder which sinks into the bottom of the litter.
I am hoping he can learn so I keep the litter. he has bad hips/ one paralyzed back leg, which he seems to move sometime but cannot use it (the one stretched in the profile), vet thinks it's neurological but says to give him a chance see if he gets better as he grows before moving to diapers

cute_sunny

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
update: took him to the vet today because he doesn't want to eat and he vomited once. vet said he has many worms moving in his stomach/intestines. he gave him some food (emergency food for post operation says the label) and injection to prevent him from vomiting. he ate it, which is great. haha however each can cost $8, so I hope he can go back to his normal diet tomorrow. and fecal lab exam shows he has roundworm eggs, a lot, so 2 month treatment may help eliminate them.