Detecting tumors internally

acemush

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don’t know much about cancer in pets. But my question is how do vets check if a tumor has grown somewhere else internally? Through x-ray or ultrasounds?

How much are x-rays and ultrasounds usually for you guys if you have had them done before.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I have considered getting pet insurance. Hope he feels better soon!

Last edited:

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It all depends on a lot of things. What kind of tumor they are looking for. What location of the tumor. Usually abdominal is with ultrasound. Chest and lungs with x ray. The price varies from place to place and vet to vet. So, it could be more for someone in California than it is in the mid west, but I really don't know. Usually the process starts with an examination and goes from there.

Whatever is going on with your cat, I hope he or she is okay.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As S silent meowlook wrote, it depends on the location of cancer. In my cats, due to the location, the only way to check the growth was with the CT scan. She was diagnosed with a histology of the tissue, the exact position and size was assessed with a CT scan, then she was treated with radiotherapy and after the treatment she was checked every three to four months for three years with futher CT scans.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

acemush

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has mammary cancer, vet suggested both an x-ray and ultrasound to see if it has spread anywhere else. He recommended getting those done before getting her second surgery to remove her tumor that has grown again. To see if it’s “worth it.” Then bloodwork and then chemotherapy and radiotherapy. But because it’s a lot of process they would not give me some sort of estimate to even see if there is some way I can afford it or just to even know what it would range from. I know it would be thousands and I feel like a 💩 person for not even able to try and help save her, because I’m the only one in my family willing to drop all their money for her. No vet nearby accept any payment plans either, so it’s really difficult. Without the treatment they gave her about 5 months and with it, they said it may or may not even work.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ok. That is difficult. When she had the first surgery, do you remember the name of the cancer? The X-rays are to see if it has metastasized to the lungs.

This is a hard decision for you. I would call and ask for any type of ball park figure. The area I am in is expensive and it could be over what they charge in your area.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am sorry that you are facing this with your cat. However, I am back on the part about the hospital not giving you an estimate. I have had major procedures done on both dogs and cats and the first thing that is produced is a high/low estimate. While your cat's diagnosis/prognosis may be unclear, some of what you are asking for certainly has a clear price on it. They can certainly give you ballpark figures because if they are dealing with mammary cancer, there is a protocol which they will follow if you were to choose to proceed.

I am in Los Angeles; I have never paid less than $500 for an ultrasound, but that is this area. Standard xrays run in the $200 range. Are you eligible for anything like Care Credit?

Feline Mammary Tumors | OSU Veterinary Medical Center
If your vet were to follow this protocol from OSU, you might check prices for the meds mentioned, like doxorubicin.

Will another vet give you an estimate? In CA, vets do not legally have to give an estimate, but I don't know of any who don't or who would refuse, especially in the case of a high end charge.

BluOnyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am sorry you are going through this. I lost a cat to cancer in 2021, I didn't have any treatment options for him. There was nothing they could do but give him medication to reduce pain and keep him eating. It hurts going through this.

Look into care credit. They are cards that can be used for medical purposes for both animals and pets. I had to use one for my other cat this year. I think they give you $2,000 to $3,000 credit limits and zero interest for 6 months.

And as mentioned, the clinic should give you an estimate. The only time they can't is in emergency care but they still give you a ballpark estimate.