Pramathesh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
H
IMG_20210426_151655.jpg
IMG_20210616_063253.jpg
IMG_20210604_163641.jpg

Hi! I would like to describe my cat better. As you see, she is mostly white with orange earlobes and orange banded tail. There is not a speck of black on the body while the all-black cat in the third picture is her brother. He is jet black all over.
1. My cat has two colors. What kind of a cat is she?
2. Can we get an idea of her breed? I am situated in Southern India right now.
3. Can we guess the colors of the parents?
4. Also she gave birth recently, as you can see, all three babies are calicos ( single father to the litter?). What color would the father be. The brother is not the father.
IMG_20210708_132458.jpg

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Since her brother is black, she’s most likely got some black patches that are hidden under her white (red is sex-linked), though there is, theoretically, a chance that they had different fathers. Functioning under the assumption they have the same father, she’s a high white (or van pattern) red and black solid calico domestic shorthair. With the head shape she and her brother have, it’s possible they have some oriental somewhere in their heritage, or another wedge-headed breed, especially given their legs look fairly long. If she has any breed heritage (most cats are just cats, without any pedigree ancestry), it’s likely a few generations off, based on what I can tell of her ear shape and profile. Chances are they just resemble your local landrace of cats, and have no breed ancestry, though — doesn’t make them any less special :)

As she’s likely a hidden calico herself, can’t say what the father would’ve looked like, other than the fact that he was, most likely, a solid cat, either red or black, as the kittens aren’t tabby.

eta: had a brain fart moment. She could be red if their mother was calico, herself, and their father was red. In that case, she’s most likely red solid with high white, given her brother is black solid, and her kittens are non-tabby marked calico. The dad was most likely black solid, like her brother, possibly also marked with white. Her brother is a black solid (or black self, if you want to be fancy) domestic shorthair.

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Right. Both her parents did carry white; that is why she is high white in the van pattern. There was apparently red too; momma?
As bro is black, so someone must have carrying black. Perhaps momma was calico.

Her husband, father to the kittens, must have been black or at least carried black. He was not white, and probably didnt had white spots either. He was not tabby.

The cat is domestic shorthair. She has some alikeness to Oriental. But this is a common feature with the usual domestic cats in most of the south asian countries. They have very often this vaguely Oriental shorthair look alikeness...

I suppose the first Orientals WERE imported from South Asia....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pramathesh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you Maurey and StefanZ. Yes, there is an intact solid black male in the vicinity and I always suspected him to be the father of the little ones in the picture. Your theorisation stands proven! (Although I haven't been able to get close enough to see if there are white spots.)

Of course, she is special with or without any breed ancestry, and I have fallen in love with her since I brought her inside a month ago. Her head shape and facial expressions resemble the Siamese most closely though. Most of the cats in the area resemble this shape. Also, of interest- the intact black male (supposed kitten father) she probably mated with has a very round shaped head, no angles.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I have fallen in love with her since I brought her inside a month ago. Her head shape and facial expressions resemble the Siamese most closely though. Most of the cats in the area resemble this shape.
siameses and orientals do looks quite alike each others and outcrossing is relatively common. In our European association FIFE they may even be registered accordingly. Solid colored: registers as Orientals, pointed registers as siameses if the litter is mixed... (this is common with allowed outcross, or so called variants).
I have also an amusing story and somewhat embarrassing story of how I did learned the difference between siameses and Orientals. But I tell it another time... :)

OK, in Europe or USA a moggie cat whom has Oriental looks (isnt no point) would be described as you say; has Oriental looks, but the probability is her Ancestor was a siamese. Because siameses are much more common than an Oriental. And child of a siamese mated with non siamese will not be a point.

But in Asia countries, its the lean Oriental / (siamese) look which is common among the street moggies, but siameses nor points arent that common... So, as I see it, no need of speculating about a siamese Ancestor... Its enough of saying Oriental look alike...

Father with his rounded facial features? He could have a british shorthair Ancestry.
Although intact adult males do tend to have thicker and bigger jowls, making their face more round than these of females and neuters.

Pramathesh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
siameses and orientals do looks quite alike each others and outcrossing is relatively common. In our European association FIFE they may even be registered accordingly. Solid colored: registers as Orientals, pointed registers as siameses if the litter is mixed... (this is common with allowed outcross, or so called variants).
I have also an amusing story and somewhat embarrassing story of how I did learned the difference between siameses and Orientals. But I tell it another time... :)

OK, in Europe or USA a moggie cat whom has Oriental looks (isnt no point) would be described as you say; has Oriental looks, but the probability is her Ancestor was a siamese. Because siameses are much more common than an Oriental. And child of a siamese mated with non siamese will not be a point.

But in Asia countries, its the lean Oriental / (siamese) look which is common among the street moggies, but siameses nor points arent that common... So, as I see it, no need of speculating about a siamese Ancestor... Its enough of saying Oriental look alike...

Father with his rounded facial features? He could have a british shorthair Ancestry.
Although intact adult males do tend to have thicker and bigger jowls, making their face more round than these of females and neuters.
I see. Thanks again for the response. Even I was intrigued as to how we finely differentiate between the Siamese and the Oriental, in feature as well as in the casual use of terms. So, I will be waiting for your interesting/embarrasing story. Also, my cats' breeds are of no consequence. I have always had dogs and know a little about dogs but this is my first cat family. I started reading about cats, and all these are just mere curiosities.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The story? In the beginning, I wasnt not knowleable about the breeds, almost not at all. We wanted to have cat. We wanted to have an inside only cat. So to be sure the cat would be happy with being inside only cat, we decided to buy a purebred cat. Not because it was fancy, but for the cats best. [later on, we learned also moggies may be happy inside only cat, but we didnt wanted to take any chances]

Our choice fell on the Russian blue... A good breed and beatuiful, yet did looked as "normal" cats. We dont regret our choice...
And so we began to participate in Shows, where Jamusjkin got very good marks although he was shy. And breeders of RB gathered around him and admired his looks. :) (yes, he and his son did become a working stud, and his grandgrandgrandgrandgrandchild we have, is too now an ex stud. Although our other multiple grandchild was never a stud).

Ok. RB were nice, we did participated in Shows. But I wasnt very fond of Siameses. Suddenly, in a show, I noticed some very pretty siameses even I did like. So I went forward to the owner, began to talk, described my impressions because he was very friendly and polite. He listened, smiled a little (I noticed the smile was a little peculiar).
So he pointed at some other siameses, and his own black beauties....
And so he told: "These pointed there, THEY are siameses. Mine black and blue here, they are Orientals...

But dont worry you were unsure of the difference, they are sibling breeds... If I happen to get a pointed kitten, it will be registered as a Siamese.... While the non pointed kittens are all registered as Oriental...."

Such is my humble start in the world of pedigreed cats!

Pramathesh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh..nice. I get it now. Thanks.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
HView attachment 387235View attachment 387236View attachment 387237

Hi! I would like to describe my cat better. As you see, she is mostly white with orange earlobes and orange banded tail. There is not a speck of black on the body while the all-black cat in the third picture is her brother. He is jet black all over.
1. My cat has two colors. What kind of a cat is she?
2. Can we get an idea of her breed? I am situated in Southern India right now.
3. Can we guess the colors of the parents?
4. Also she gave birth recently, as you can see, all three babies are calicos ( single father to the litter?). What color would the father be. The brother is not the father.View attachment 387238
She is very pretty💕 she has as others said the oriental look with a van pattern. Oriental shorthairs according to this site are a manmade breed. Original siamese were also not quite so elongated and slender, there are different body types, some exaggerated like the wedgies os are all wedgie now , some rounder and a bit stockier, some a mix which are often called traditional. My Quinn is a mix of the rounder look and the angular look, he looks very much like pics of the Siamese cats brought from to the West from Thailand. Both breeds have their origin in Siam / Thailand, and I think maybe elsewhere even further back, where there were several ancient cat breeds recorded in a manuscript. Some pointed and many solid colors which evolved into the modern breeds and also were part if the inhabitant cats. Look up Thai cats.

Oriental Shorthair Breed

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The brother is fixed correct? I'm pretty sure the dad is a black cat for sure given the girls are all calicos. I do hope you spay momma after the kittens are weaned and them too if you are keeping any :)

Pramathesh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The brother is fixed correct? I'm pretty sure the dad is a black cat for sure given the girls are all calicos. I do hope you spay momma after the kittens are weaned and them too if you are keeping any :)
Yes. We already determined who the dad is, thank you. I know that cat.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he a stray? If so can you get him neutered as well? That way no more unwanted kittens being born, not saying your kittens are unwanted but he's a cheat and making babies with all the girls around lol.