Depression after sugery

Soroxas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have experience with needing to isolated their cat after surgery. Or specifically, a cat's behavior with it?

Tomorrow is Sam's last day of isolation after having surgery six weeks ago. I'm happy to let him back out with the rest of the pack and to give him more room to roam. And this may be a moot point in asking since tomorrow is the last day... but I'm just worried. For the passed two day (and some points during the other five weeks), Sam just seems... depressed. He has some joint issues in his front legs that the vet is planning on addressing in two weeks and he's been scratching his ears a lot (ever since I gave him new flea medication), but he seems to not be in pain. But he just doesn't want to do anything. He's eating and drinking and going to the bathroom, but that's about it. He just seems bored and... depressed.

Is that a thing? I mentioned it to my vet once, but he kind of brushed the thought off.

Has anyone experienced this with their cat? I just wonder if I should be more concerned (which is to say I'm already concerned, always) or if this is something that will go away when I let him back out and back to his normal routine.

Morpheus1967

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm curious. If he is isolated from the other cats you have, what else is he supposed to do other that eat, drink, go to the bathroom and sleep? Honestly? Being within one day of letting him out after 6 weeks, I would just let him out now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Soroxas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm curious. If he is isolated from the other cats you have, what else is he supposed to do other that eat, drink, go to the bathroom and sleep? Honestly? Being within one day of letting him out after 6 weeks, I would just let him out now.
I honestly thought about letting him out today instead of waiting until tomorrow after work. He played a little bit with his small toys on the bed yesterday. He rolled around and showed no pain (he had spinal cord surgery), but he just seemed to get bored quick. I really can't blame him. Six weeks I've been sitting back there with him. I'm a little bit crazy myself.

Surely one day early won't make or break him, right?

Morpheus1967

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Surely one day early won't make or break him, right?
Well, you know your cat better than anyone, so only you can answer that lol. How many other cats do you have? Maybe instead of introducing him right back in, you can take one of the other cats to him? Has he been completely isolated all this time? Whereas slow introductions are now necessary? Not sure how long cats retain the memories of others cats once they leave and come back.

Soroxas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have three other cats (and a kitten I've been keeping in another back room for introduction at a later date). Sam has been in complete isolation, but they do come smell of each other or paw at one another underneath the door. And I know at least Grimm has seen Sam back there a few times when I've gone in and out of the room.

Morpheus1967

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well if it were my cat, I would let him out. I mean where I live, technically tomorrow is about 9 hours away!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Consider that at least some of your cat's depression symptoms might come from being isolated.

If your cat is used to being around others, separating him might be the stressor that's making him depressed.

You know your cat better than we do. If you think he's well enough to go back to his pack then I think it's okay to go back early as long as you do things gradually and keep an eye on things as you do. If you notice any problems, stop and reset then decide what the next step should be.

Here's hoping that your cat gets better and can go back to his "cat family" and be happy again! :)

Soroxas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well if it were my cat, I would let him out. I mean where I live, technically tomorrow is about 9 hours away!
Well, when you put it like that, it is only 9 hours away here as well. XD

Soroxas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Caspers Human Caspers Human M Morpheus1967
Thank you both for your responses. I appreciate them greatly. I think I will access Sam when I get back home and then decided if today or tomorrow would be best. I feel like today is the day, and if that is the case, I'll be sure to set up camp in the central part of the house and keep an eye on everyone.