Dental Care

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’m curious...how often do you get your cats teeth cleaned professionally by a vet? Also do you brush your cats teeth? If you don’t please tell me too because I don’t brush my cats teeth. I know they will not allow it and I don’t want to ruin a healthy relationship with my cats by forcing them to accept a toothbrush. But I do dental cleanings when they need them and when I can afford them.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think my cats would stand a tooth brushing. They were adoptees and two of them were adults and hadn't been brought up to have their teeth brushed. The other was a kitten, but was/is too mean to try to brush her teeth. I think if they had been started on tooth brushing as little ones, it might have been possible.

The vet never suggested cleaning. Maybe I'll ask him the next time one of my cats go to the clinic.

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was wondering the same thing. When tired, my kitty will let me brush her front teeth a little, but not her back. I do it two or three times a week, maybe. I can't make a routine of it or my kitty would catch on and avoid it. I also give her raw turkey gizzard a few times a week, because that's supposed to help. I've never gotten her a professional cleaning but I've only had her for a few months and she's still a kitten.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Jum's on raw with whole meaty bone, but I still brush her teeth every evening. It's not her favourite thing in the world, but she handles it well, despite me only getting her when she was 8 months old. I essentially let her help me clean her teeth by chewing on the brush. I have to change brushes more frequently because of it, but it's the most effective way to brush inside her mouth, anyway.

With dental cleanings, depends on how sensitive your cats gums are to plaque, and how well you're able to manage it from home. Jum's gums are very sensitive, but I manage fairly well on my own despite it, so she needs checkups and cleans every 6 to 8 months, though that's at least partially so she can get her little filling topped up, and because of a single problem tooth that's more prone to building up plaque, and harder for me to keep clean.

Beholder

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats get recommended a cleaning every year, sometimes every other year. Some vets think it's better to do it more often than others. Our current vet specializes in teeth and diagnosed two of my cats with a hereditary dental disease (basically gingivitis) and ended up pulling a few of their teeth last August. She actually doesn't recommend chasing them around with a tooth brush and told me that when it comes to this disease it's basically easier for everyone to just pull the teeth as it doesn't affect cat's ability to eat. That's obviously just her opinion though.

Side note Jackson Galaxy just released a pretty interesting video on youtube about brushing/not brushing your cats teeth.

arr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would encourage people not to give up on teeth brushing too quickly. I think people feel like it should take a couple weeks and the cat will be used to it. It takes much longer, unless they are kittens. We took in an adult stray cat who is difficult to handle. She hates confinement, it’s a nightmare to get her in a carrier, she won’t sit on laps except for every once in a while if it’s her idea. Long story short, I started working with her teeth last October and five months later we finally have it going very well. The secret is treats after brushing, very high value treats. For her that’s Temptations. She only gets them when we brush. Now she follows me and purrs when it’s time for brushing. She allows me to hold her on my lap, only for teeth brushing. It was a long road, but I made up my mind I was committed. Every day for five months, rarely missed a day. That’s what it takes. We also have her two kittens who were very easy to train.

I too saw Jackson Galaxy’s video and it’s the one time I don’t agree with him. I felt like he said just give up without even trying, it’s too hard. And no, it won’t ruin your bond with your cat if you start very slow and work in tiny incremental steps for many months and include treats.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would encourage people not to give up on teeth brushing too quickly. I think people feel like it should take a couple weeks and the cat will be used to it. It takes much longer, unless they are kittens.

:yeah:

Give teeth brushing a try at least for a couple of weeks. Use a yummy flavored pet flavored toothpaste. CET poultry flavored toothpaste is popular. Offer the toothpaste as a treat at first and then gradually move to apply a dab to the teeth. Instead of a typical standard toothbrush for pets, you can use a small pet finger toothbrush or a cotton swab or a piece of gauze wrapped around your finger. You're not aiming to swab every surface on both side of the teeth. The visible outside of the teeth is fine. Brushing once a week is better than not brushing at all.

Cornell's vet school has a video on how to brush a cat's teeth: Brushing Your Cat's Teeth | Partners in Animal Health There are many others you can find on YouTube.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I brush my cat's teeth daily. I started when my oldest boy was two he had bad breath and the start of gum disease. The kitten has had his brushed from when I got him. They have never had a cleaning at the vet but would if it was needed. It is hard work getting a cat to have their teeth brushed but what I did with the 2year old now 3 was to use a cotton bud first with tooth paste on then worked up to a finger brush. He still hates it now but doesn't hold it against me.