Dental And Forl

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat has a condition where the tooth gets reabsorbed into the gum. It is painful for the cat. I recently had a dental and he had a big rooted tooth removed due to this condition. I took him back 6 months later and he has another one developing (you can tell because there is a big spot on the gum). I researched and it says you should go to where they can xray the teeth to see any under the gum (this new one might have been visible). I called the places that do that and the price starts at 1400 dollars. That is steep, and I am wondering if anyone else has had this done. I can take him back and have the new one removed, and from what I understand, they will keep developing, so I am not sure the continued advantage of the xray. I would like some feedback, also what is the best cat toothpaste, I am going to start brushing the younger cats teeth.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
CET toothpaste is popular, especially the poultry flavored one. Most pet stores don't sell it so buy it online from pet supply web sites and Amazon. Buy the starter kit that has the mini cat toothbrush. It only comes with a little packet of toothpaste so you may want to buy a full sized tube at the same time. Here's one listing on Amazon.

I've never had routine x rays done to determine if a FORL is occurring. Some cats will keep getting FORLs because of genetics.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
That's awfully expensive for just x-rays!

Mowgli had to have all but his front teeth extracted due to FORL in November 2016, and the surgery cost €420 ($446 at the time; vet prices are a lot more reasonable in Germany), including antibiotics and pain meds. The follow-up check cost €40 ($42.46), including more antibiotics. He'd had one tooth extracted in 2014 (at age two); when he went back in for a dental cleaning in 2016, I was expecting two more teeth to come out. The vet called after she had him under anesthesia and recommended having all but the front ones extracted, as otherwise he'd have to undergo surgery several times over the coming years.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi I was wondering how your cat's doing.

Amalie has FORLs so we have to xray every time we do a cleaning, so that's up to $200. Her first cleaning had to have 5 teeth extracted. It was over a thousand but I had discounts and overhead is cheaper in Phoenix, so I believe I got it down to about $940. Her second cleaning two years ago only resulted in 1 extraction. She's back in today for another cleaning and the vet just called me and said her xrays are looking at 5 teeth and then another may come out after they clean it and evaluate the integrity. There are no discounts at this clinic and I'm going to Northern Virginia this time. She said it's probably going to run about $1500. This is after her senior wellness exam and full blood panel we did a few weeks ago that was $350.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have not had him back to the vet, but 1400 dollars is what it costs to xray around here and that does not include whatever else needs to be done. I am just going to take him back to the regular vet and have the affected teeth removed as they become evident. He is 14 years old, and I am sure they must knock them out for the xrays, and it sounds like you don't get every tooth that is affected because you need more xrays later to find more teeth, so I am skipping that step. He has one now, and he is eating well, but I am taking him this month for that one.