DELAYED, prolonged vaccine reaction

BtwnStars

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sadly Musket had complications with his surgery and a recurrence or new blockage/intussusception in his small intestine. They had to euthanize him tonight when I took him in after noticing a bad decline from bringing him home last night. We are sad but feel better knowing he isn’t in pain. I will never know how the shots impacted this whether congenital and the inflammation or anorexia made it worse. Or just Maine coons are more prone and the rapid change in diet/anorexia caused it. It was a 180 from the moment he got his third set of shots and there is some evidence intussusception can occur in humans from another type of vaccine. He was the best kitty for the two months we had him.
I am so sorry for your loss and it definitely was related to vaccines. You did everything you could and gave Musket the best chance. I hope the vets all learned something.

Those of you going through this, ask the vet for the manufacturer, lot number, any other info on the shots and open a case with the manufacturer. They have boards that can review the information and advise vet, and obviously there is not a lot of good education on this out there. Also stick to your instincts, get the sub-q fluids while they can. If the blood panel are coming back normal, it is a reaction to the shot and the fever/aches is a reaction to the inflammation. The first best course of action is steroid - prednisolone. I also agree with the pill dosing because they can be weened by cutting in half and spacing out days. I have another cat with IBD who has been on a low dose of it for years and does fine.

The antibiotic may be a bit overreach, and when the cat starts spitting it out or refuses to take it, they are getting better.

The article that was linked earlier in the thread has information if it ends up turning more cancerous, which I think was identified by the lump where the needle was becoming a tumor or something like that? I have been concerned about that with my cat and he is still very wary of anyone touching his hindleg area.

I came back here to check in as the annual appointments for my other cats is coming up and while I was debating what to do, now I am more than convinced of leaving out the distemper shot. I will do their rabies, they've never had an issue. And I want to discuss to see if vet did get different shots as they said they would for vaccination after my case.

Thank you all for sharing your stories...it helps!

Suzsun

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Sorry that you and your pet are going through this. After weening my cat off his steroids, his limp and stiffness did return. I started using this natural remedy from Amazon: Homescape Pets Daily Thrive - Calms Aches & Pain, Anti-Inflammatory Pet Supplement Organic Hemp & Turmeric Oil for Cats & Dogs - Boosts Energy, Supports Immune System - Meal Topper
and it seemed to help with the inflammation naturally. Over time the limp and stiffness will go away but it does seem to take a long time (approx 6+ weeks). Hope this helps! Best of luck

Suzsun

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for the recommendation. I found out from the vet that the vaccine given was Boehringer Ingelheim purevax feline 3, with FVRV (Rhinotracheitis), FCV (calicivirus) and FPV (panleukopenia). The vet of course doesn’t think it’s related to the vaccine.

Rico4

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, once I had my vet call the vaccine manufacturer (Zoetis in my case) they were then told by the Zoetis rep that it was indeed an adverse reaction from their vaccine and I started to get more help from them at that point once a case number was started.
Clearly there isn’t any communication between the vaccine companies and the veterinarians because at the end of the day it’s a business and they want to continue to profit off from our pets and since it’s such a “rare” reaction there shouldn’t be cause for concern which is complete bs!
The vets need to do their due diligence and help us pet owners vs saying there’s no way it’s from the vaccine but then again, both the vets and the vaccine companies are profiting from administering these vaccines and profiting from us bringing the animals back in once they have these reactions.

Suzsun

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I start to doubt myself when the vets don’t think that is the cause of the limping but there’s so many of us on this thread.

Nixstr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I start to doubt myself when the vets don’t think that is the cause of the limping but there’s so many of us on this thread.
I am totally blessed to have found this thread.
My beautiful calico Pistachio was at the vet for constipation 3 weeks ago. I was coaxed into getting the vax and rabies shots. A week ago the lethargy kicked in. No late night wake up calls for temptations and greenie snacks. Laying around, not eating. Back to the vet for testing. Almost $2000 for the two visits.
Today they said bloodwork all normal, glucose normal.
Pistachio is visably trembling.
I will be having a heck of a conversation with the vets tomorrow. Thank you all on here for sharing and bringing this situation to light for me. And Pistachio!!!

Attachments

Nixstr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am totally blessed to have found this thread.
My beautiful calico Pistachio was at the vet for constipation 3 weeks ago. I was coaxed into getting the vax and rabies shots. A week ago the lethargy kicked in. No late night wake up calls for temptations and greenie snacks. Laying around, not eating. Back to the vet for testing. Almost $2000 for the two visits.
Today they said bloodwork all normal, glucose normal.
Pistachio is visably trembling.
I will be having a heck of a conversation with the vets tomorrow. Thank you all on here for sharing and bringing this situation to light for me. And Pistachio!!!
Image 3006 is how she is now for last week. Definitely not her regular self.

Rico4

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Image 3006 is how she is now for last week. Definitely not her regular self.
Best wishes to you and Pistachio! It’s a long and slow road to recovery but she eventually get there. This thread has all of the advice you should need and is great to reference when you’re having bad days because there are more bad days than good while on the recovery journey. Hang in there!

Suzsun

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Sapphire is finally not limping and eating better and playing after at least 2 mouths. I’ve had her off the Metacam for about a week now and keeping my fingers crossed for no relapse. I spent about $700 and 2 vets didn’t think it was related to the shots. I don’t know any other variable. Hang in there!

Suzsun

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well I wrote my comment above too soon. I stopped giving her the Metacam about 1-2 weeks ago and she was doing great but I guess the inflammation caught up with her and she’s limping again. Hate to give her Metacam but gave her a small dose tonight. Tried to give her the natural turmeric hemp oil mentioned above but she won’t touch it.

Rico4

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I wrote my comment above too soon. I stopped giving her the Metacam about 1-2 weeks ago and she was doing great but I guess the inflammation caught up with her and she’s limping again. Hate to give her Metacam but gave her a small dose tonight. Tried to give her the natural turmeric hemp oil mentioned above but she won’t touch it.
Sorry to hear. Have you tried mixing a few drops in wet food?

Suzsun

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I did mix it in the her food but she wouldn’t touch it. I ordered one from “Pet Wellbeing”. You only need 6 drops of that one and I’ve used that brand for other ailments to great success. She is moving great again today after her tiny Meticam dose last night but I know it’s not good for her.

Rico4

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did mix it in the her food but she wouldn’t touch it. I ordered one from “Pet Wellbeing”. You only need 6 drops of that one and I’ve used that brand for other ailments to great success. She is moving great again today after her tiny Meticam dose last night but I know it’s not good for her.
I hear you, I went through that weaning period with mine and had to mentally prepare myself for the days I stopped the medicine knowing he would have a slight relapse. It’s so hard. Hopefully the other brand helps with the lingering inflammation. I really wish our pets didn’t have to suffer through this.

Nixstr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Pistachio has improved greatly over the weekend since I started her on the prednisone.
At this point I’m not sure if it’s just the anti inflammatory or she’s turned the curve after a week.
3 weeks since the vaccines. Just happy to see the lethargy gone and she’s not shaking any more.
Appetite has also greatly improved!!!

Miloooo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, I wanted to come back and leave an update on my cat Milo. He has since gained back most of his weight (at an healthy 13/14 lb now) and he seems back to himself. I got three more urine tests done and they all came back normal, which was a huge relief. His blood tests were all normal as well and couldn’t find anything there. I’ve had no vet ever confirm that his reaction had anything to do with the vaccines being stacked, but I’m confident that was what caused this. He didn’t need any steroid/antibiotic assistance & fully recovered about two weeks after the symptoms arose. He is on the younger side however (5 yrs old), so I'm thinking his immune system was stronger than if he were older and was able to recover/fight it off on his own. If the same symptoms brought you to this thread after stacking these vaccines, I genuinely hope that your cat recovers & your vet acknowledges the possibility of a delayed vaccine reaction (or has prior experience with this rare reaction).

Nixstr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Glad to hear about Milo.
Pistachio is still thriving. Continuing to look and feel better with her appetite back to normal.
Even with my attemp to get some of the veterinary service fees returned, was a no go.
the vet is saying that he prescribed the steroid to help with the unknown inflammation which he said is caused by her being overweight.
A condition which came and went over 3 weeks after the stacked vaccinations.
Anyhow, the best to anyone fortunate to find this thread and to know that there is hope. Cheers!!!

Rico4

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear about Milo.
Pistachio is still thriving. Continuing to look and feel better with her appetite back to normal.
Even with my attemp to get some of the veterinary service fees returned, was a no go.
the vet is saying that he prescribed the steroid to help with the unknown inflammation which he said is caused by her being overweight.
A condition which came and went over 3 weeks after the stacked vaccinations.
Anyhow, the best to anyone fortunate to find this thread and to know that there is hope. Cheers!!!
If it’s worth your time, try contacting the vaccine manufacturer or have your vet call them. That’s how I was able to start a case # and get reimbursement. My vet wasn’t convinced it was the vaccine until after the call to the manufacturer (that I demanded they make). I hope vets become more knowledgeable about the potential of a delayed reaction so we don’t have to spend hours upon hours scouring the internet for help.