Deep Cleaning.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been told that I clean too much. What are some things that need to be deep cleaned that people often overlook?

Here's a typical schedule for me (known to be put into overdrive if I have guests coming over, lol):

Weekly:
Vacuum (sometimes twice a week)
Dust
Mop the kitchen
Laundry (Clothes and sheets/towels)
Clean out the fridge
Fish tank maintenance

Monthly:
Bathrooms (floors/sinks/showers)
Disinfect the dishwasher
Disinfect the washing machine
Mop the laminate throughout the house
Disinfect the litterboxes/litterbox area
Re-organize pantry

As needed:
Clean the fridge thoroughly
Wash curtains
Clean the blinds
Baseboards

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Daily - cleaning up after cooking, dishes, load/unload dishwasher, general tidying, scoop litter boxes and spot cleaning messes.
Weekly is sweeping or vacuuming, bathroom sinks/counters/mirrors, laundry (linens, towels, clothes), and a more thorough cleaning of the kitchen surfaces.
Every 2 weeks or so - washing floors/mopping or steaming, toilets and tub/shower and dusting.
Monthly and/or as needed - litter box, inside of fridge, pulling big furniture away to sweep/vacuum underneath.
A few times a year/as needed - organizing pantries/cupboards, washing curtains
"spring and fall cleaning" - washing walls and windows.

I'm sure I missed a few chores but that's the gist of it.

As for things that need a deep clean, it depends on what it is.
Walls and windows get done once or twice a year.
The oven as needed
The fridge gets done as needed but a deep clean might happen a couple of times a year. (where I actually remove the shelves and drawers)
Inside of my cupboards/pantry/closets happens when I reorganize it (I don't do ALL my cupboards/closets at the same time)
One thing that I really need to clean soon are my ceiling fans and my oven range fan/hood. Those I often overlook.

I don't disinfect my dishwasher or washing machine, and I've never had any issues. I also don't have a front loader, so I think that makes a difference, it doesn't get that gross smell or slime buildup.:barfgreen:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
I will NEVER own a front loader for that reason! I have an older Whirlpool top loader that I absolutely adore. It gets abused a lot because we have a lot of cat hair...I just run half a cup of bleach in it to dislodge whatever grossness may be hiding in the drum!

Question- how do you wash the walls?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I used to do them by hand with a rag and bucket and step ladder with whatever cleaning solution and a scrubby for stubborn spots. But now, I use a sponge mop to wash the walls and a hand held scrubby for stubborn spots, then I follow up (while the walls are still damp) with a dry swiffer to minimize spots and streaks and it also picks up any fuzz or hairs left behind that stick to the damp wall. I usually use a vinegar solution for washing walls but sometimes a disinfecting spray cleaner comes out for the stubborn soiled areas that I do by hand.
The sponge mop does not get right in where it meets the base board so I have to do those by hand.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Weekly:
Vacuum (sometimes twice a week)
Dust
Mop the kitchen
Laundry (Clothes and sheets/towels)
Clean out the fridge
Fish tank maintenance
That's not overdoing it. Most of that has to be done weekly.
Vacuuming - especially if you have cats
Dusting - I don't know about GA, but in AZ you can dust twice a day and not get it all.
Mop - goes along with vacuuming and dusting
Laundry - Do you want clean clothes?
Fish Tank - a 50% water change once a week is almost critical to keep the levels (PH, ammonia and other levels)

I don't do all that once a week (my son has the fish tanks, and he does it), but that's because I'm lazy. I do, however, do things like cat boxes, garbage, dishes and basic clean up daily. And usually laundry after prime hours.

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my sometimes I vacuum twice a day! If not I sweep and vac everyday, mop weekly.
Clean bathroom toilet, sink, counters everyday tubs weekly.
Kitchen counter cleaned multiple times daily.
All surfaces like end and coffee table daily. Dust weekly.
I’m thinking I might be addicted to cleaning

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my sometimes I vacuum twice a day! If not I sweep and vac everyday, mop weekly.
Clean bathroom toilet, sink, counters everyday tubs weekly.
Kitchen counter cleaned multiple times daily.
All surfaces like end and coffee table daily. Dust weekly.
I’m thinking I might be addicted to cleaning
You want to come to my house and save me from doing it?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never figured out how people clean walls. Most walls are textured, aren't they? If I used a sponge on my walls, the sponge would be shredded and the wall would have little bits of sponge stuck all over.

I'm terrible at cleaning, and at routines. I manage to keep things fairly decent, especially the litterboxes, but I'm never going to be featured in Better Homes and Gardens, lol. Oh, the fur. . .

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am going to deep/steam clean the carpets soon. I got sick with Salmonella poisoning right after old man incontinent Beagle died and just now feel like I may live. The carpets need to be seriously cleaned where he had accidents. Soon, but not today. And that will be the extent of deep cleaning for awhile.
I hate house work. I'd rather clean and strip horse stalls than clean the house.

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't think that's overdoing it. My mom & I have been known to go at crevices in the stove with toothpicks to get all the gunk out. ;)

Daily:
Vacuum
Laundry (2-3 clothing loads/day keeps me caught up. Towels 1-2x per week)

Weekly:
Bathrooms (toilet/floor/sink/shower/mirror/walls)
Clean out cat boxes (every other day)
Mop the kitchen/dining room/playroom
Take old food out of the fridge (I put dates on everything)

Monthly/Every Other Month:
Dust :paperbag:
Clean inside the washing machine (or more often if it tells me to)
Clean garbage disposal
Clean stove fan & degrease filter
Wash walls/windows in playroom/dining room/kitchen (childcare areas)
Wash kitchen cabinets
Clean inside the dishwasher (every other month)

As needed:
Clean oven (3-4 months, depending on what hubby cooks :lol:)
Clean the fridge thoroughly (every 3 months)
Re-organize pantry
Wash curtains (1-2x per year)
Baseboards (1-2x per year)
Wash walls in rest of the house (1-2x per year)
Wash out garbage cans

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
amysuen amysuen

2-3 loads of clothes A DAY? Oh my goodness! Do you have kids??
I wish I could skip dusting! I hate it. HATE it. But the fur just collects everywhere....
I also wash our trashcan! Dawn, water, and vinegar, then I let it dry in the sun.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
This is my daily/weekly routine:

I sweep/vacuum once a day, and I sweep the wood stairs once a day. That's where I find most of the fur!

I mop the downstairs floors (tile and laminate) at least twice a week, if not more. I use a squirt mop: it has a washable pad, and you fill the attached bottle with hot water and cleaner; I use some white vinegar and 20 drops of mint or orange essential oil mixed in. For quick cleanup, I sometimes use a wet Swiffer mop.

I have a robo-vac that "mops" (really a wet pad that drags behind the vacuuming part), but the pad no longer stays on, so now, it's just a vacuum. I miss the mop part!

Once a day, I dust/clean the downstairs surfaces. The cats like to lounge on the coffee table glass top, so that gets glass cleaner every morning.

Every morning before work, I run the broom around to pick up clumps of fur, even though I will vacuum later that day. Spilled kibble gets swept up at least one a day.

At least once a day, I sanitize the kitchen counters, and wipe down the fronts of the kitchen appliances. I do this before bed, too, including sanitizing the sink.

Bathrooms get cleaned at least twice a week. I have 3, but they are easy and fast to clean.

I made my bed every day; I change the sheets at least once a week (more in hot weather).

Laundry is done 3-4 times a week, and cat blankets get washed (separately, and last, then I clean the washer and drier out).

I vacuum upholstery at least once a week, more if needed.

Dishes are washed in the dishwasher once a day. Once a month, I run it empty, with a cup of vinegar to clean it.

All of the litter boxes are in the garage (we park in the driveway). We have a laundry sink that's only used for that. Every day, they get dumped out, washed, and replaced with fresh liners and litter. I sweep up the scattered litter every night, and mop the floor once a week.

Less frequent cleaning:

I only clean the walls once or twice a year, unless we're painting them. The cats do rub up against outer corners, so I keep an eye on that, and clean them.

I sweep and mop the front porch and clean the pollen off the door every month or so. We power wash the house once a year, and keep the deck swept and mopped during the summer.

I clean out the pantry, and sweep and mop the floor every 2 months. I will sweep up any fur that gets under the door when I see it. When I do the pantry, I remove everything from the floor (and shelves).

I discard leftovers in the fridge once a week, and wipe up any spills when I see them. Once a month, I empty it, and wet wipe all surfaces, taking the shelves and drawers out to wash in the sink.

Last edited:

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
This is my daily/weekly routine:

I sweep/vacuum once a day, and I sweep the wood stairs once a day. That's where I find most of the fur!

I mop the downstairs floors (tile and laminate) at least twice a week, if not more. I use a squirt mop: it has a washable pad, and you fill the attached bottle with hot water and cleaner; I use some white vinegar and 20 drops of mint or orange essential oil mixed in. For quick cleanup, I sometimes use a wet Swiffer mop.

I have a robo-vac that "mops" (really a wet pad that drags behind the vacuuming part), but the pad no longer stays on, so now, it's just a vacuum. I miss the mop part!

Once a day, I dust/clean the downstairs surfaces. The cats like to lounge on the coffee table glass top, so that gets glass cleaner every morning.

Every morning before work, I run the broom around to pick up clumps of fur, even though I will vacuum later that day. Spilled kibble gets swept up at least one a day.

At least once a day, I sanitize the kitchen counters, and wipe down the fronts of the kitchen appliances. I do this before bed, too, including sanitizing the sink.

Bathrooms get cleaned at least twice a week. I have 3, but they are easy and fast to clean.

I made my bed every day; I change the sheets at least once a week (more in hot weather).

Laundry is done 3-4 times a week, and cat blankets get washed (separately, and last, then I clean the washer and drier out).

I vacuum upholstery at least once a week, more if needed.

Dishes are washed in the dishwasher once a day. Once a month, I run it empty, with a cup of vinegar to clean it.

All of the litter boxes are in the garage (we park in the driveway). We have a laundry sink that's only used for that. Every day, they get dumped out, washed, and replaced with fresh liners and litter. I sweep up the scattered litter every night, and mop the floor once a week.

Less frequent cleaning:

I only clean the walls once or twice a year, unless we're painting them. The cats do rub up against outer corners, so I keep an eye on that, and clean them.

I sweep and mop the front porch and clean the pollen off the door every month or so. We power wash the house once a year, and keep the deck swept and mopped during the summer.

I clean out the pantry, and sweep and mop the floor every 2 months. I will sweep up any fur that gets under the door when I see it. When I do the pantry, I remove everything from the floor (and shelves).

I discard leftovers in the fridge once a week, and wipe up any spills when I see them. Once a month, I empty it, and wet wipe all surfaces, taking the shelves and drawers out to wash in the sink.
And the winner is!...Wow! Major kudos to you!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Pretty simple when you live alone. I just sort of pick up after myself every day, clean the kitchen at night and then wash floors, dust and vacuum as needed. I try to keep it clean enough so that it only takes 15 minutes to make the house presentable for company.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Yearly:
  • Power wash the siding, esp on the northern side of the house
  • Clean out both freezers in the basement
  • I clean the concrete deck around the pool with Clorox to keep it looking fairly white
Twice a year:
  • Wash down walls (esp the kitchen and living room walls), use Murphy's soap to clean the kitchen and bathroom cabinets, steam-clean the furniture in the living room. Rick usually does the steam-cleaning; he'll also steam-clean the carpet in the living room, more than twice a year because.....cat puke and hairballs
  • Wash the outsides of the windows
  • Give The Beast her bath
Monthly:
  • Steam-clean the kitchen, bathroom, and computer room floors
  • Wipe down the insides of all the windows
  • Clip claws and check kitty ears (yes, I consider that part of our cleaning)
  • Wash the cars (I don't take them to the car wash). And I don't do Rick's truck. I have the Tucson and Clarence; that's enough.
  • Completely clean out and wash all the litter boxes and put them in the sun (and hope the kids don't have to pee until they're refilled and back in the house)
  • Do the Rid-X thing down the toilet
  • Wash the outside trash can. We use bags, so it's not too bad, but every once in a while, bags break. Or the raccoons find their way inside. It can get ugly.
Weekly:
  • A really good vacuuming, a good brush with the Swiffer (about every other week or so, I'll completely dust everything down with polish)
  • Take the Swiffer under the bathroom cabinets to get rid of dust bunnies and such
  • Wipe down the kitchen and bathroom
  • Clean out the fridge for trash night
  • Clean the kitchen appliances (I use Clean Freak by Mr. Clean). We have stainless steel appliances and I'll never have them again. Too many fingerprints!
  • I Bona the kitchen and bathroom floors, sometimes I'll do the computer room floor, too
  • Wash the trash cans in the house and put them into the sun to dry. Then a good spray with Lysol
  • I do laundry twice a week, on Sunday mornings, and on Wednesday nights. The bed gets stripped on Sundays (and in really humid weather, I'll strip it down on Wednesday, too)
  • I always sweep the front stoop and the sidewalk after we mow the yard every week
  • Test the water in the pool and adjust chemicals accordingly. Rick will vacuum the pool weekly or as needed. I sweep around the pool.
Daily:
  • Wipe down the glass shower doors (after every shower)
  • Scoop the boxes (sometimes twice a day, depending on how they get used)
  • I wipe down the kitchen counters and the stove top before I ever start to cook anything every day. I never realized the amount of counter-surfing cats do until we got the glass top stove and saw all the paw prints!
  • Wipe down the kitchen counters
  • Do a quick Swiffer about the living room and kitchen
  • I probably vacuum 4 times a week or so, not just because of the cat hair, but The Beast sheds, too. I refuse to do it more often than that.
Usually when Rick is away for a while, I'll clean out cabinets as they're needed, clean out desk drawers, all that good stuff.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fun/weird confession. Many years ago when I adopted my dog, the first like 2 months I totally failed to clean some of his toys. Basically any toy that didn't fall into dirt or something. Him being senior, Hima having dental issues, I now wash every toy the day it touched the floor.

Also I have no idea how do you all find this energy to clean so well!

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
Fun/weird confession. Many years ago when I adopted my dog, the first like 2 months I totally failed to clean some of his toys.
If it's any consolation...I don't currently have a dog, but I grew up with them. I can never, ever recall cleaning any of their toys, save for a stuffed animal that my stepdad's Labrador carried with him EVERYWHERE. He got thrown in the washing machine periodically!