Declaw or no cat!

Status
Not open for further replies.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by buffalo-mitch

Ok, I didnt mean it like I will totally bar its entry from the living room!

I meant I will use tin foil and double stick tape to keep it from scratching.

Also, can people please stop telling me I sohuldnt get a pet. I'm not here telling everyone how to live their lives
Read your title it is "declaw or no cat" You asked, we answered. Many of us choose that you should have "no cat" rather than declaw her.

The kitten is a he or a she, not an "it".
I am concerned about your attitude regarding this baby.

You will not be able to keep her from getting on the furniture. Cats, especially kittens, need to run and jump and climb and play. You can teach her where to scratch, and that is going to take some time, but she will still want to jump on the furniture.

It sounds like you do not have a realistic idea of what having a pet, especially a kitten, means. Our concern is for the kitten.

odiakkoh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Well double stick tape peels off pretty well if you get a kind with a bit less adhesive and the foil just sits on top so...
I was thinking from an aesthetic standpoint.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

buffalo-mitch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OK, maybe it was a poor choice of a title. But I certainly dont appreciate walking onto a forum and then being judged on my character, being villianized and now being told that I basically can't own a cat. I only wanted some answers to questions

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Keep in mind that the official stance of this forum is anti-declaw.

It's easy for a cat person to think no one else can take care of a cat as well as he can. This is why so many of us have "failed fosters," often cats that have some special need we're not sure anyone else would take care of properly.

And, as I said, declawing is probably a dying practice. Twenty years from now, I doubt anyone will do it in the U.S.

We worked for a trucking company that required declawing to carry a cat in one of their trucks. We showed them the literature on SoftPaws, and they approved that. Our cats never damaged their trucks. But you DO have to keep up with them, especially on growing kittens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

buffalo-mitch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes! I wil certainly always keep an eye on the kitten. Also, I dont know if any of you watch It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, but I'm deffinetly looking into Kitten Mittons

violet

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by buffalo-mitch

Ok, I didnt mean it like I will totally bar its entry from the living room!

I meant I will use tin foil and double stick tape to keep it from scratching.

Also, can people please stop telling me I sohuldnt get a pet. I'm not here telling everyone how to live their lives
Please don't take the advice/suggestion the wrong way. I can speak only for myself and so I have to say that from what I'm seeing in your posts there is no doubt in my mind, none whatsoever, that neither you nor your family is ready for a kitten at this time.

So I would like to suggest to you that you get some cat health books and several good books that deal with behavior related issues (all available at amazon.com) and by reading all of those, prepare yourself and other members of your family for nothing but happiness when a kitten arrives in your life. The books will help all of you avoid the most basic mistakes, mistakes that bring a lot of unhappiness to the humans and the cat in a family. If you have never had a pet, you don't know about these things, you don't know what to do in certain situations, how to handle things the right way. Learning about all of this ahead of time will make a world of difference to you, the other members of your family, and your cat.

Whatever you decide to do, I'd like to give you right now the list of books that have been enormously important and helpful to me throughout the years. I don't know what I would've done without them. (Friends and acquaintances who have the same books feel the same way.) These books do away with the need for searching for solutions (and coming up with the wrong answers) and so prevent a lot of unhappiness that we can cause ourselves and our pets when we're faced with certain situations and have no idea what to do.
Okay, so here is the list of my most treasured books.

For health:
Cat Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook, Fully Revised and Updated by Debra M. Eldredge DVM, Delbert G. Carlson DVM, Liisa D. Carlson DVM and James M. Giffin MD
(I love the original edition just as much)

Other:
The Cat Who Cried for Help: Attitudes, Emotions, and the Psychology of Cats by Nicholas H. Dodman

Twisted Whiskers by Pam Johnson-Bennett
(A wonderful and very important book)

Psycho Kitty by Pam Johnson-Bennett
(Also a wonderful and very important book. Youâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ll see what I mean when you read the stories)

Think Like a Cat by Pam Johnson-Bennett

Is Your Cat Crazy? by John C. Wright and Judi Wright Lashnits
(Also a very important book)

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Violet

Please don't take the advice/suggestion the wrong way. I can speak only for myself and so I have to say that from what I'm seeing in your posts there is no doubt in my mind, none whatsoever, that neither you nor your family is ready for a kitten at this time.

So I would like to suggest to you that you get some cat health books and several good books that deal with behavior related issues (all available at amazon.com) and by reading all of those, prepare yourself and other members of your family for nothing but happiness when a kitten arrives in your life. The books will help all of you avoid the most basic mistakes, mistakes that bring a lot of unhappiness to the humans and the cat in a family. If you have never had a pet, you don't know about these things, you don't know what to do in certain situations, how to handle things the right way. Learning about all of this ahead of time will make a world of difference to you, the other members of your family, and your cat.

Whatever you decide to do, I'd like to give you right now the list of books that have been enormously important and helpful to me throughout the years. I don't know what I would've done without them. (Friends and acquaintances who have the same books feel the same way.) These books do away with the need for searching for solutions (and coming up with the wrong answers) and so prevent a lot of unhappiness that we can cause ourselves and our pets when we're faced with certain situations and have no idea what to do.
)

great post.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Approximately 70% of cats in shelters end up being euthanized (3.7 million in 2008 alone), and there is a massive shortage of available homes compared to the number of kittens born each year. Feral cats live short and hard lives, often infected with parasites, eating scraps, and dying from ingesting poison, contracting a feline disease, or getting mauled or hit by a car.

So I am going to have to disagree and say that almost ANY home is better than no home. I respect differences of opinion, but am not on board w/ "better dead than declawed" assuming it would even come to that, and hope you're not put off having a cat (or preferably two) in your life and giving them a loving home. They are loads of fun and great companions, and I knew next to nothing when I got my two munchkins but you pick it up, no worries.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Keep in mind that the official stance of this forum is anti-declaw.

It's easy for a cat person to think no one else can take care of a cat as well as he can. This is why so many of us have "failed fosters," often cats that have some special need we're not sure anyone else would take care of properly.
So true, on both accounts! The second is precisesly how I ended up in a six-cat household.

Originally Posted by mrblanche

And, as I said, declawing is probably a dying practice. Twenty years from now, I doubt anyone will do it in the U.S.
I'll drink to that!

AC

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just think, if your family is so worried about the furniture, you will have a hard stressful time and you won't enjoy your new kitten. It is impossible to stop them for getting into everything. It is your decision anyway. I'm just worried about the kitten.

violet

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Ducman69
Approximately 70% of cats in shelters end up being euthanized (3.7 million in 2008 alone), and there is a massive shortage of available homes compared to the number of kittens born each year. Feral cats live short and hard lives, often infected with parasites, eating scraps, and dying from ingesting poison, contracting a feline disease, or getting mauled or hit by a car.

So I am going to have to disagree and say that almost ANY home is better than no home. I respect differences of opinion, but am not on board w/ "better dead than declawed" assuming it would even come to that, and hope you're not put off having a cat (or preferably two) in your life and giving them a loving home. They are loads of fun and great companions, and I knew next to nothing when I got my two munchkins but you pick it up, no worries.
Ducman69, what are you disagreeing with? Because in my mind this whole thread is about NO declaw AND a happy home for people who love their furniture and a kitten/cat that joins the family and needs to be happy as well.

If you had any idea what our declawed shelter cat had endured in her original home where they had her declawed, you probably would not say that almost ANY home is better than no home. (We decided to adopt her because we realized there was something terribly wrong there when we first saw her and then the details emerged later.)

They all need a home for sure, but there are homes.....how should I say this.....well, I think you know what I'm trying to say......

taryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
SoftClaws will work but for me it was a pain to have to constatly put new ones on(they fall off constantly), it was easier to just keep up with claw trimming. That sid they wee useful when I first brought Attitude an Nuts inside and I used them again when Nuts decided the box spring was a great place to scratch (he was around 1 when he started that.) I also didn't like thatfact that they couldn'trip up heir scratching posts and iof they ever go out they wouldn't be able to defend themselves as well as if they had all their claws exposed. That said Attitude climbed a tree easily while wearing a full 10set of SoftClaws(front claws only), she door dashed on me and went for her favorite tree(she was born and raised outside.)

Honestly Sirius, who came declawed, has no problems in being mean or nasty, he even puts up with an annoying 30 lb dog without complaint. I can see why somone declawed him though he scratches EVERYTHING, even though that is easy enough to resolve without amputation, I would have just slapped Soft Claws on him until he learned. He also has found the scratching posts and loves the carpet one, so I'm thinking someone didn't even try with him since he likes the post and I have never redirected him to it(he has no claws so it's not like he can damage anything) and he seems to like to scratch at it the most out of anything. I didn't even know he was declawed until I went to clip his overgrown claws(he had been at the rescue awhile) and found he didn't have any in front. Honestly it's annoying since he has to get his back claws clipped (I check and clip off any really sharp ends, his back ones grow faster than he can wear them down) and since he isn't used to having his claw clipped it's a nightmare.

Honestly, you don't need a kitten because it will be into everything, with or without claws. Most of the cat destruction I've had had nothing to do with claws(and I've had up to 4 fully clawed cats inside a one time.) Knocking things over and breaking things has been far more destructive than any scratching. An already declawed adult would be better for ya'll if you have to get a cat sine they are usually not into everything like kittens are.

Taryn

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that a grown cat is better for almost anyone. Their personalities are set so that you know what they're like, and they'll stay that way. I find kittens to be unpredictable. I've had nice kittens end up as mean/shy adults, mean/shy kittens end up as nice adults, crazy kittens ends up as calm sedate adults, calm sedate kittens end up as crazy adults, etc.

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've seen cats being abused and neglected so I will never give a kitty to just anyone. So, I don't agree with that of any home being better than no home. Since here in PR we have no laws to protect animals they way they should be protected, sometime i see them being abused or neglected and nothing can be done. So, a kitten having a home doesn't mean he will be happy. I've rescued lost of kittens and I always try my best to find them teh better home possible.

badkelpie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I trim my cats' nails (well, not Winn, she's crazy). You just make the claw come out (push on the toe pad), and clip off the tip, I clip off the whole pointy part, so the nail ends up rounded. Most of the nail is clear, and you can see the quick easily.

Get a cat tree, and one of those cardboard wedge shaped scratchy things you put on the floor. If the cat starts scratching, move her to the cat tree, she'll learn. Cats are smart

People mentioned catnip, but I have never met a kitten who likes catnip. Grown up kitties like it though.

snazzi33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

OK this is what will probably happen (some of this has already been decided and won't be changed):

1-We are getting a cat

2- The cat will come from a farm and I have already seen the cat I would like (she is the runt of the litter, a tuxedo cat with white paws hence the name 'Mittens')

3- I will get the cat on July 17th (I know it will only be 8 weeks old and I have heard you should wait longer be the owner of the farm says she has given away countless kittens to friends and family and says never once has there been a problem with them being a little younger)

4- I will do everything in my power to try and train the cat to use a scratching post and steer clear of the furniture (something I think is entirely possible based on most people who have cats with claws)

5- The cat will NEVER end up in a shelter or on the streets (if it is no longer feasible to continue to own the cat, we know a lot of people who would take it and give it a great home like ours)

6- The cat will be loved and treated with the upmost respect

Sorry if I sound a little stressed out. I have my road test in a couple of hours and I'm very nervous
Rude. Why come here and ask advice when you weren't REALLY looking for it? Right up above, you are ignoring everyone else's advice in favor of what you really want, which is a pet.

I suggest you do not get a kitten. They claw and scratch things, it is natural. And declawing, from where I'm sitting, is inhumane and an amputation regardless or not if it adversely affects personality or behavior. If you really want a pet that won't mess with the furniture, but is interactive, I suggest a rat, a gerbil, or another caged animal that is safer to have in a home with new furniture.

I know you think you are doing the right thing by taking a kitten in that would otherwise be a barn cat/feral, but seriously? You won't even listen about leaving her with her mom and siblings for an extra few weeks because you want what you want when you want it, even if it's only good for you.

I know this sounds harsh, but this line of thought is what I am getting from your posts, and it's really upsetting to stand by and watch a bad thing be put in motion.

I hope you take this as some "tough love" and really, really reconsider your decision. Besides, you JUST got your license, and it's a really exciting time. With this new allotted freedom, are you really going to want to stay home all day to train and take care of a kitten?

Maybe your energy would be better put convincing your mom to adopt a shelter cat. Or not even a shelter cat, but a cat from a no-kill rescue/ foster care.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snazzi33

Rude. Why come here and ask advice when you weren't REALLY looking for it? Right up above, you are ignoring everyone else's advice in favor of what you really want, which is a pet.

I suggest you do not get a kitten. They claw and scratch things, it is natural. And declawing, from where I'm sitting, is inhumane and an amputation regardless or not if it adversely affects personality or behavior. If you really want a pet that won't mess with the furniture, but is interactive, I suggest a rat, a gerbil, or another caged animal that is safer to have in a home with new furniture.

I know you think you are doing the right thing by taking a kitten in that would otherwise be a barn cat/feral, but seriously? You won't even listen about leaving her with her mom and siblings for an extra few weeks because you want what you want when you want it, even if it's only good for you.

I know this sounds harsh, but this line of thought is what I am getting from your posts, and it's really upsetting to stand by and watch a bad thing be put in motion.

I hope you take this as some "tough love" and really, really reconsider your decision. Besides, you JUST got your license, and it's a really exciting time. With this new allotted freedom, are you really going to want to stay home all day to train and take care of a kitten?

Maybe your energy would be better put convincing your mom to adopt a shelter cat. Or not even a shelter cat, but a cat from a no-kill rescue/ foster care.
Well said.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks for the responses guys! When we get the kitten, I am going to take all of your ideas (plus any ideas I can find on google) and implement them. And I have 3 more questions:

1- Does the cat scratch furniture and things less when they are raised alonside a sibling?

2- In a typical delcaw, are both the front and hind claws removed?

3- I have some crappy furniture in the basement of my house, should I let it scratch that as an alternative to the good furniture? Or should I set the precedent that no furnitue can be scratched?
1. It would be likely that the cat is less destructive if he/she has a sibling who he can play with and use his energy, and not get bored if people are not around.

2. I have no idea, declawing is illegal in this country.

3. Don't let him scratch any furniture, it'd just confuse him. Getting a scratching post (or a tree) would be ideal and usually they prefer them anyway because of the texture (and they might have already been trained to use them in the breeders' house, though probably unlikely in this case if a barn cat means basically an accident litter without proper socialization and training and is allowed to go outdoors).

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snazzi33

Thank you for saying it.

Furthermore:

3- I will get the cat on July 17th (I know it will only be 8 weeks old and I have heard you should wait longer be the owner of the farm says she has given away countless kittens to friends and family and says never once has there been a problem with them being a little younger) You are setting yourself up for failure here in every aspect - every single one, by not letting the kitten stay longer with mom and siblings.

4- I will do everything in my power to try and train the cat to use a scratching post and steer clear of the furniture (something I think is entirely possible based on most people who have cats with claws) Possible, but you can not guarantee it. You can not train a cat to scratch in the right places - you offer as many choices for scratching posts, and hope for the best. Even with a LOT of surfaces in my house, Lucky still scratches my luggage, and Hope my bed when she is coming up for cuddles - you just can't say what is going to happen. Not 100%.

5- The cat will NEVER end up in a shelter or on the streets (if it is no longer feasible to continue to own the cat, we know a lot of people who would take it and give it a great home like ours) Something else you can NOT guarantee until you are independent financially and living in your own place - until then, the cat is at your parents mercy, and it just might happen.

6- The cat will be loved and treated with the upmost respect No, it will not if you would consider mutilating its toes right off the bat. Your idea of upmost respect is "funny" IMHO.... not

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Carolina

Thank you for saying it.

Furthermore:

3- I will get the cat on July 17th (I know it will only be 8 weeks old and I have heard you should wait longer be the owner of the farm says she has given away countless kittens to friends and family and says never once has there been a problem with them being a little younger) You are setting yourself up for failure here in every aspect - every single one, by not letting the kitten stay longer with mom and siblings.

4- I will do everything in my power to try and train the cat to use a scratching post and steer clear of the furniture (something I think is entirely possible based on most people who have cats with claws) Possible, but you can not guarantee it. You can not train a cat to scratch in the right places - you offer as many choices for scratching posts, and hope for the best. Even with a LOT of surfaces in my house, Lucky still scratches my luggage, and Hope my bed when she is coming up for cuddles - you just can't say what is going to happen. Not 100%.

5- The cat will NEVER end up in a shelter or on the streets (if it is no longer feasible to continue to own the cat, we know a lot of people who would take it and give it a great home like ours) Something else you can NOT guarantee until you are independent financially and living in your own place - until then, the cat is at your parents mercy, and it just might happen.

6- The cat will be loved and treated with the upmost respect No, it will not if you would consider mutilating its toes right off the bat. Your idea of upmost respect is "funny" IMHO.... not
Wonderfully put Carolina, and all my thoughts, but was unable to put them in words in such a concise manner.

PS agree with many other people who posted too, too many to quote, andd I agree with those who disagree that "any home is better than no home" . There are worse things than euthanasia. Much worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.