Decent Flea Treatment

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
just found out 2 days ago that my cat has fleas with a flea comb just brushing him on his tail n face neck only i got legit 100 fleas off him i killed thats pretty scary now older he scratches so much given he is solid black and super thick hair i couldnt ever see so whats a decent flea treatment under 20 dollars i could get him

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh dear. I so understand budget restraints, but unfortunately, the better flea treatments are, of course, more expensive. The very cheapest reliable flea treatment out there is a thorough bath with Original Dawn dishwashing liquid. The water should feel slightly cool to you...cats are more heat sensitive than we are, and you must rinse thoroughly! Towel him dry as much as possible. Don't use the soap on his face, or get it in his ears. And, although this might go without saying, KEEP THE BATHROOM DOOR CLOSED UNTIL YOU ARE FINISHED!

Hopefully, other members will have some ideas of inexpensive treatments you can purchase online or locally.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would give a Capstar first and then do the dawn bath. Capstar will kill the live adult fleas but only lasts around 24 hours. It is not a prevention. You can buy it at the pet store. The bath will kill any remaining and get rid of all the dirt and eggs and stuff.

Then once the cat is dry treat with a monthly topical FROM THE VET or a legit pet store. Don't use the junk from the grocery store. Name brands only. Treat for at minimum 3 months straight to kill all live stages of the fleas that hatch.

In the meantime, treat your home with something. A flea bomb, diatomaceous earth, a carpet flea spray from your vet or the pet store, whatever you choose. If your yard is overgrown, cut it short. If you have a dog that goes in and out, treat it for 3 months at least as well. Gotta treat the whole situation, not just the pet.

musical_chick121

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We use Natural Care flea and tick spray from our local Walmart. I don't recommend spraying your cat though. Spray it on a washcloth first and gently wipe your kitty with it until you've covered his entire coat. I have heard mixed results from online reviews but it worked for us. I use a flea comb all the time on my kitties and haven't found a single flea since we've started using it. WARNING-The spray has a strong odor since it's basically peppermint oil and cloves!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
man its horrible!! fleas are all in our house ow cats are miscrible we went just t get a hotel last night came back and our cats wont stay on the carpet they are on top of couch or the kitchen counters i guess to avoid the fleas

i feel bad they are meowing so loud right now

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ I have used both of these items - they work very well. Should be around $20. for both.

This works really well. Spray everywhere and expect fairly quick results. It contains insecticides and egg inhibitor.
➡ Raid Flea Carpet & Room Spray

➡ Hearts Topical Flea Prevention

You can sprinkle salt around the carpet edge to dry and kill fleas. They are attractwdcto heat - a bowl of very warm water with a bit of dishwasj detergent will attract fleas and kill them.
Good luck ...! :hellocomputer:

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We use Natural Care flea and tick spray from our local Walmart. I don't recommend spraying your cat though. Spray it on a washcloth first and gently wipe your kitty with it until you've covered his entire coat. I have heard mixed results from online reviews but it worked for us. I use a flea comb all the time on my kitties and haven't found a single flea since we've started using it. WARNING-The spray has a strong odor since it's basically peppermint oil and cloves!
i just bought 2 cans of the neutral care flea and tick spray and sprayed my floors heavily with it not sure how well it will work as long as i can kill a good half im ok for now.

i put some on my cats i didnt wana put a lot only on the back of their neck and shoulder blade area dont want them t lick it. ill give them a bath later right now i dont wana because i want to make sure floor is somewhat better.

the 2 cats are to scared to even step on the floor now the smaller boy cat is just sittin on kitchen on the counter while the black boy in my profile pic is sittin on top of the couch arm rest he wont budge if i hold him put him down anywhere he runs fast as he can back to there

musical_chick121

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This sounds just like my kitties too. They get very standoffish for a while after we use the spray, but in a day or so they are back to their old selves again. Does the spray seem to be working for you?

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wanna see something scary? Bathe him. The end result of the 1st bath should be dark burgundy bath water...blood red.

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wanna see something scary? Bathe him. The end result of the 1st bath should be dark burgundy bath water...blood red.

well he lets me bathe him if your referring t the cat clawing me lol he wont thankgod i gonna have t cut his hair first cause hes so long haired t get a good scrubbing in his fur

atm they wont even stay on floor they r hiding in the kitchen or on top of couch lol its like they fear the carpet now

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This sounds just like my kitties too. They get very standoffish for a while after we use the spray, but in a day or so they are back to their old selves again. Does the spray seem to be working for you?
no it didnt work sadly just got some bed bug and flea killer but it wasnt enough should got 2

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ This sounds like a very sad situation. I think the FDA approved products work the best - and fast. I am doing drops and carpet spray myself this week. Have to keep fleas under control by stopping the life cycle.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well he lets me bathe him if your referring t the cat clawing me lol he wont thankgod i gonna have t cut his hair first cause hes so long haired t get a good scrubbing in his fur

atm they wont even stay on floor they r hiding in the kitchen or on top of couch lol its like they fear the carpet now
Not that. 100's of fleas leave LOTS of flea "dirt". It'll turn bath water burgundy.

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
~ This sounds like a very sad situation. I think the FDA approved products work the best - and fast. I am doing drops and carpet spray myself this week. Have to keep fleas under control by stopping the life cycle.

i got the fleas n carpet taken care of somewhat not having any on me now one of my cats has very long black hair and its hard t bath him so i shaved most of his hair so i could get most of fleas off him thats ok t do right? im asking in concern now cause he seems to be cold now i turned off my ac earlier cause he kept crying moving around figured he wasnt use to not having such thick fur on him though

he isnt bald but he got a crew cut figured i should do it t make sure i get all fleas his hair will grow back in 2 months

Hey therr0789

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Treat your home yard and all pets in the house. I've used Advantage II large cat and advantage multi for cats. Advantage multi kills intestinal worms but not tapes. Done the dawn baths which only kills the living fleas not the eggs. I've only given them flea treatment less than a handful of times. Remember most flea products the fleas have to bite in order to die so you will still see fleas!