December 2020 book of the month club

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Finished. I forgot the discussion time was earlier so I should have started it earlier!

I loved reading it. I've grown up with this story. I enjoy the old time flowery language (as long as I can understand it haha), and some places the descriptions were so enjoyable, and made me laugh a few times. Kind of humorous.
I always like how giddy Scrooge is at the end, the descriptions of him. And Tiny Tim always hurt my heart- till the end.

I hadn't thought of it being a dream. With the movies I've seen and seeing the play that hadn't occured to me! Reading it this time it didn't either. I'm thinking real ghosts. And maybe now Marley's ghost is free to move on after taking part in this. But the article is something to think about.
But I noticed in the time with the Ghost of Things to Come Scrooge's bedroom is described as all dark except for a dim light on the head of Scrooge's body in the bed, and the bed curtains had been raided by the people he saw before the bed visit, so to me is why he didn't recognize his own room.

I always picture Scrooge as really old, like 80's in our timeframe. Which would be 40's or 50's back in Dickens' day.

I noticed too about Marley saying the spirits would come over 3 nights, but it happened in one night. Kind of confused me a little. And the spirits came at 1AM, then in the narrative things were said about being midnight? Ghosts, they don't always cooperate.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Guess that's it for the shortened version of our monthly book club. Thanks to everyone who read the book, and participated in the discussion.

Hope you'll join us again in January when we'll be reading Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier.
January 2021 book of the month club

Hope everyone has a nice holiday season.

1608396963464.png

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise