Dealing with strays and a crazy neighbor

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
Earlier this year, I moved into my first apartment with my boyfriend. My first ever place to call my own. When I arrived, there was a friendly neighborhood stray. He's an older male. A very hefty guy, so we called him Big Hoss. Later, a young cat came up. Maybe a little over a year old, she had feral kittens in the woods but she was sweet. I started feeding her and at some point I stopped seeing her kittens and her milk has just dried up. She's started sleeping on my patio chair and has made my porch her home. The neighbors cat, who also has kittens, comes to eat as well. Occasionally there's a black Tom cat that chases everyone else off to eat, but he's a rare site. So the neighbor. She's my upstairs neighbor, my only neighbor, actually. Once I was feeding mommy cat, she was on her balcony on the phone, loudly complaining about "the bitch downstairs feeding the cats" because she knew I could hear. I ignored it and we haven't had a problem since until today. My boyfriend and I walked out to go shopping and she was outside hysterical. "These ****ing cats gotta go, they're in my ****ing car, all over the place" mumbling to herself. She goes up to her apartment and I can hear her screeching the whole way up. The cat under her car, the neighbor's cat, scurried off. She comes down and splashes a bowl of water on her car and starts spraying bug spray all around her car while screeching hysterically. I just left because...what? I called the police non emergency line and made a report just to have it on file in case something were to happen in the future. You can never be too safe. I was informed that "while my heart is in the right place", the city has an ordinance against feeding stray cats and I could be fined up to $220. So something has to happen, so that these cats aren't harmed by the crazy lady upstairs and so I don't continue breaking the law. Big Hoss is no problem, other neighbors feed him and he's a real friendly fat guy. The neighbor's cat nor the mean black Tom are of any interest to me. It's Mommy cat I worry about. The low cost spay clinic nearby closed down. So if I were to pay full price to have her spayed, after that investment I'd make her my own. Problem is, I already have two cats in this small apartment. I would hate to upset my girls by bringing a new cat in, and my boyfriend hates the idea, but I don't really know what else to do. Do you guys have any idea?

Rose94

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Call around to no kill shelters and see if they can take her in or maybe a friend or family member? Also call around to local shelter and vets and see about the pricing for spaying a stray some places offer a reduced service to help the stray cats from reproducing

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
What to Do if Neighbors Complain
Alley Cat Allies had advice on this, although I am not saying that you have not thought of most of this or that it would apply, especially with the risk of a fine.

Feral Friends Network® Connect
You might try to contact this network. It is all volunteer and sometimes you receive a reply and sometimes you do not. They may be able to offer some help in your area.

Google something like "neighbor hates my cats". You will see a lot of sites that discuss this and there might be some suggestion that will work in your situation.

When you talked to the city/police, did they sound like they bother at all to enforce this? This could range from you have now inadvertently tipped your hand versus absolutely no one enforces any cat feeding laws.

What about indoor/outdoor cats? Outdoor cats vs feral cats? There could be a fine line here in your favor.

If none of this applies, I agree that you should start to look for no kill shelters, try to find a home for her (if you were to spay her yourself, ask for compensation from the new owners/it is a good idea never to give an animal away for free unless it is something like a family member is taking them), bring her inside on a temporary basis and work from there.

Google "cat rescues my area/city/county" and call all of them. You may get some help or advice even if not from the first call.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
What to Do if Neighbors Complain
Alley Cat Allies had advice on this, although I am not saying that you have not thought of most of this or that it would apply, especially with the risk of a fine.

Feral Friends Network® Connect
You might try to contact this network. It is all volunteer and sometimes you receive a reply and sometimes you do not. They may be able to offer some help in your area.

Google something like "neighbor hates my cats". You will see a lot of sites that discuss this and there might be some suggestion that will work in your situation.

When you talked to the city/police, did they sound like they bother at all to enforce this? This could range from you have now inadvertently tipped your hand versus absolutely no one enforces any cat feeding laws.

What about indoor/outdoor cats? Outdoor cats vs feral cats? There could be a fine line here in your favor.

If none of this applies, I agree that you should start to look for no kill shelters, try to find a home for her (if you were to spay her yourself, ask for compensation from the new owners/it is a good idea never to give an animal away for free unless it is something like a family member is taking them), bring her inside on a temporary basis and work from there.

Google "cat rescues my area/city/county" and call all of them. You may get some help or advice even if not from the first call.
I have decided that for now, I will claim that mommy cat is my outside cat. I put the bowl of food out for her and cannot help who else comes up to eat. That's what I'll stick to for now. I've reached out to a low cost spay clinic but haven't had a response yet. The officer on the phone, when telling me about the ordinance, said "I'm not telling you this because I'm coming to write you a citation, I just want you to be aware that she can use it against you". So I think I've got it under control, for the time being.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ I would seriously consider talking to your landlord about why you did not get full disclosure that the upstairs neighbor is psychotic. Do this in writing. Look for others as witnesses. Think about moving.
You may be able to document crazy lady's behavior and present a case in small claims court for rent reimbursement and relocation expenses.
Good luck ... 👍

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed a colony of ferals myself. Since I have territorial backyard strays, I am forced to feed over a dozen ferals in front of my house. A good number of these cats were dumped on me by another feeder I had a fallen out with.

I agree with much of the advice here. Please leave no stone unturned and at the very least call people who are involved with TNR to stop more kitties from being born outside. If you can get someone to rescue them fine, if not than TNR(Trap, Neuter and Release) is top priority. Where I live there is no law against cat feeding, as long as I am not creating a health issue (e.g not cleaning up after feeding and attracting bugs, rodents, and wild life). The other thing they could get me on is having intact cats mating, spraying, fighting, and overpopulating. My colony cats got tnred years ago. The population has been in decline, but there are still unneutered males in the area, that still need to get tnred. It is very important to stabilize this group before it gets any larger. Keep looking for help. Contacting Alley cat Allies and their Feral Friends Network is one good suggestion. If you can't find help, then at least get the females tnred. See if their are any discount vets or maybe you could get it done through the Friends of Animals certificate program. I at one time was looking to relocate the colony cats. It is usually the last option to relocate since cats get very attached to their territory.. I looked into Animals Sanctuaries which I learned were extremly expensive, but perhaps you can look into barn programs through a reputable rescue agency. It is worth looking into. The next option is to find another colony (one with a good caretaker) to transfer these cats into. Once again I am suggestion this if things get even crazier and you fear for the cats lives.

If your landlord is an animal lover or at the very least he is reasonable person who seems chill than try to discuss your problem regarding the other tenant and how unhinged she is behaving lately. Tell her you are trying to work out this cat situation, but this tenant is behaving more and more erratic. See if something could be worked out. If this woman attempts to hurt the cats, please don't hesitate to call the ASPCA. Just because she is not happy with the cats being around gives her no right to harm the cats.

I wish you the best of luck and hope this situation improves. If you have anymore questions or concerns don't hesitate to post again 🙂