Dealing With Food Allergies, Possible Ibs And Stomatitis

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
What a nightmare - so hard to find people we can trust and then when you think you have, something like this happens. Hope Huxley improves again soon, and you manage to get him taking the medication.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I managed to pill him! I tried to hide it in his food first, but he ate a tiny bit of it and then left. I know how strong his flight instinct is, so I took him to the bathroom and closed the door (he has nowhere to hide in there). I sat on the toilet and put him between my knees, gently holding him in position. Quickly opened his mouth, dropped it in and closed his mouth again keeping it shut, massaged his throat a bit and blew a little air on his nose to make sure he swallowed it, and let him go once I was sure it was in. It was as painless and quick as it could be under the circumstances. He seemed afraid of me so I made sure to pick him up again and soothe him while talking to him and petting him before I opened the door again so that we left it in relative good terms. He is clearly unsure of what just happened right now, but is not running away from me so that's a start. 1 down, 8 to go!

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well I screamed victory a little too fast. I couldn't do it today, he kept spitting it out. I'm going to get it compounded into liquid, hopefully that'll work better. He is still not going to the bathroom though. It concerns me greatly as the vet says he was not constipated and had rather soft stool in there so why isn't he going?? He's eaten properly since Tuesday evening so there is definitely food in his belly. All of this is so frustrating and hitting me hard today. I love him, beyond anything, but I cannot take him to the vet twice a week on a regular basis. I can't stop crying because I am woried for him and sad that he is not well. I am starting thinking that i can't do this and it makes me so angry at myself because he needs me to be strong, but today all I want to do is cry. :(

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I completely understand how you are feeling. With 5 cats it seems like there is always something and I feel defeated often. Eventually I take a breath and reflect on all the joy they bring me and take solice in knowing i give them a great life and really who knows what could have become of them if they weren't with me. He has surely experienced confusion and stress as of late and that could be the reason behind some of this. He knows you love him and that is the important thing.

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your kind and supportive words kittensx4 kittensx4 they are really appreciated.
Huxley finally went to the bathroom this afternoon. Since it was a decent size and well formed, the vet told me to stop the antibiotics as they are usually used to treat diarreah and he has a history of constipation. She thinks this confirms what we thought. It wasn't a symptom of constipation, but he had diarreah, except he had no food in his belly to pass so only did a tiny bit on tuesday night and nothing since then. He was a high dose lf Miralax before I left, but i had given her clear instructions about how to reduce the dose if things started to get loose in there. She clearly didn't follow them. He is still very lethargic and has slept most of the day. He is also not in the mood for playing. He clearly hasn't gotten his pred regularly or maybe he didn't finish his meals and therefore didn't get the full dose. That's how he was last time I tried to wean him off of it. Hopefully after a few days on the regular dose he'll get back to his own self. If not, back to the vet we'll go.

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your kind and supportive words kittensx4 kittensx4 they are really appreciated.
Huxley finally went to the bathroom this afternoon. Since it was a decent size and well formed, the vet told me to stop the antibiotics as they are usually used to treat diarreah and he has a history of constipation. She thinks this confirms what we thought. It wasn't a symptom of constipation, but he had diarreah, except he had no food in his belly to pass so only did a tiny bit on tuesday night and nothing since then. He was a high dose lf Miralax before I left, but i had given her clear instructions about how to reduce the dose if things started to get loose in there. She clearly didn't follow them. He is still very lethargic and has slept most of the day. He is also not in the mood for playing. He clearly hasn't gotten his pred regularly or maybe he didn't finish his meals and therefore didn't get the full dose. That's how he was last time I tried to wean him off of it. Hopefully after a few days on the regular dose he'll get back to his own self. If not, back to the vet we'll go.
You're home now and all is right in Huxleys world. I am confident you will get him back on track. I'm just so sorry about the inadequate care he received while you were gone. Geez, I hate this woman and I don't even know her! Hang in there. :vibes:

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He is definitely happy I am back. I'm confident he'll get better with proper medical care. I have just added Slippery Elm Bark to his diet. A lot of people, including my vet, recommend it for cats with IBD as it is supposed to help with all sorts of GI issues. Hopefully this'll make a difference for him.

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He is definitely happy I am back. I'm confident he'll get better with proper medical care. I have just added Slippery Elm Bark to his diet. A lot of people, including my vet, recommend it for cats with IBD as it is supposed to help with all sorts of GI issues. Hopefully this'll make a difference for him.
How are things going?

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for checking in. He is slowly getting better I think. He is now going to the bathroom every day and it's normal looking. I think the Slippery Elm is helping and I hope I'll be able to take away the Miralax in a day or two to see if that continues. He is definitely less lethargic when he is awake (he spent Thursday and Friday sleeping or lying on his side with eyes half opened). However, he continues to be very nauseous. I just got a call back from the vet and we are going to try both Cerenia and Pepcid at a higher dose for a few days to see if that helps him get better. If that doesn't work, we'll try pain meds as she said maybe he has pancreatitis. That would suck big time! For him of course, because that means he has been in a lot of pain for a while, and also because the medicine has to be squirted into his mouth as it goes into his sustem through his gums, not his stomach. That may prove very challenging. I contacted that woman and she said that all was well in the world while she was "looking after him" so she doesn't know what happened. She had the nerve to end with "maybe he is punishing you for leaving him". It's a good thing she wasn't actually in the same room as me when she said that!

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for checking in. He is slowly getting better I think. He is now going to the bathroom every day and it's normal looking. I think the Slippery Elm is helping and I hope I'll be able to take away the Miralax in a day or two to see if that continues. He is definitely less lethargic when he is awake (he spent Thursday and Friday sleeping or lying on his side with eyes half opened). However, he continues to be very nauseous. I just got a call back from the vet and we are going to try both Cerenia and Pepcid at a higher dose for a few days to see if that helps him get better. If that doesn't work, we'll try pain meds as she said maybe he has pancreatitis. That would suck big time! For him of course, because that means he has been in a lot of pain for a while, and also because the medicine has to be squirted into his mouth as it goes into his sustem through his gums, not his stomach. That may prove very challenging. I contacted that woman and she said that all was well in the world while she was "looking after him" so she doesn't know what happened. She had the nerve to end with "maybe he is punishing you for leaving him". It's a good thing she wasn't actually in the same room as me when she said that!
Wow, what an ignorant and incredibly inappropriate thing to say! Ugh, this horrible woman!
Hopefully a higher dose of the pepcid and cerenia will do the trick. Poor little guy. Since his bathroom situation is back on track I assume he is eating normal. That's good at least.

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
kittensx4 kittensx4 yes. Incredibly ignorant and totally insensitive! There I was, telling her Huxley is really poorly and that's all she could come up with!
He has been eating much better. Although he didn't finish his food last night that had his Cerenia in it. I had left all day to see a friend who lives a couple of hours away. I had someone come in to give him his 5pm food, but I got stuck in really back traffic due to road work and was back very late. By then, he hadn't had his anti-acid for nearly 30 hours and was very nauseous. He didn't wat all of his meal last night. I hope he'll get better soon. If I also have to deal with pancreatitis on top of everything else I just don't know what we'll do. One day at a time I guess.

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
kittensx4 kittensx4 yes. Incredibly ignorant and totally insensitive! There I was, telling her Huxley is really poorly and that's all she could come up with!
He has been eating much better. Although he didn't finish his food last night that had his Cerenia in it. I had left all day to see a friend who lives a couple of hours away. I had someone come in to give him his 5pm food, but I got stuck in really back traffic due to road work and was back very late. By then, he hadn't had his anti-acid for nearly 30 hours and was very nauseous. He didn't wat all of his meal last night. I hope he'll get better soon. If I also have to deal with pancreatitis on top of everything else I just don't know what we'll do. One day at a time I guess.
Well I certainly hope it's not pancreatitis. The poor little sweet pea. But if anyone can get through stuff it's you two. Lots of love and patience. You're right, one day at a time.

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
kittensx4 kittensx4 I sincerely hope you are right. Unfortunately right now he is refusing to eat...

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
kittensx4 kittensx4 I sincerely hope you are right. Unfortunately right now he is refusing to eat...
Little stinker. I sure hope he gets to feeling well soon!!!:vibes: We have a URI going around right now. As of today 2 out of 5 have it. Hoping the other 3 can get through it unscathed. :(

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Little stinker. I sure hope he gets to feeling well soon!!!:vibes: We have a URI going around right now. As of today 2 out of 5 have it. Hoping the other 3 can get through it unscathed. :(

Oh no!!! I sure the 3 poor kitties get better, and the other two don't get it!! Fingers and toes crossed!

Right now I have managed to slip some sneaky Cerenia in his dry food (the only thing he seems to want to eat right now). I had already successfully put Miralax and Slippery Elm powder in it, but it turns out he'll also eat medication too! He really is addicted to that thing, but if it means I can get his meds in him. Right now, I'll take it

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh no!!! I sure the 3 poor kitties get better, and the other two don't get it!! Fingers and toes crossed!

Right now I have managed to slip some sneaky Cerenia in his dry food (the only thing he seems to want to eat right now). I had already successfully put Miralax and Slippery Elm powder in it, but it turns out he'll also eat medication too! He really is addicted to that thing, but if it means I can get his meds in him. Right now, I'll take it
Heck yes, whatever it takes to get His meds going.
Oh these cats!!!

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
kittensx4 kittensx4 it's been a while since I heard from you. How is Runt doing?

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey there. He is still taking his allergy meds for a couple weeks yet and unfortunately all 5 battled a nasty URI over the last couple weeks with Runt having it the worst of course. This poor little guy can't catch a break. How are things with Huxley?

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey there. He is still taking his allergy meds for a couple weeks yet and unfortunately all 5 battled a nasty URI over the last couple weeks with Runt having it the worst of course. This poor little guy can't catch a break. How are things with Huxley?
Oh no! I'm sorry to hear they have all been sick. Must have been real stressful and a lot of work for you!
Huxley is doing better. It took a long time, but since I've put him back on Zyrtec he is more alert and plays more ,though he is not back to his old self, but it is an improvement for sure. I have started making his food. it's not actually that hard, just time consuming as he won't eat raw food so I have to cook it and make it into a pate, but the best thing about it is that he loves it and is now eating his meds with his food again. I don't have to pill him anymore, and that alone is worth it! It was so stressful for the both of us, and in the long run would limit my being able to travel. I am hoping that the homemade food will help. Right now he continues to have some dry food in the morning, and if I don't see improvement after 2 or 3 weeks on the nee diet, I will try and change him to homemade only and see if that works. For now though, he is better. I'll take that! :)

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh no! I'm sorry to hear they have all been sick. Must have been real stressful and a lot of work for you!
Huxley is doing better. It took a long time, but since I've put him back on Zyrtec he is more alert and plays more ,though he is not back to his old self, but it is an improvement for sure. I have started making his food. it's not actually that hard, just time consuming as he won't eat raw food so I have to cook it and make it into a pate, but the best thing about it is that he loves it and is now eating his meds with his food again. I don't have to pill him anymore, and that alone is worth it! It was so stressful for the both of us, and in the long run would limit my being able to travel. I am hoping that the homemade food will help. Right now he continues to have some dry food in the morning, and if I don't see improvement after 2 or 3 weeks on the nee diet, I will try and change him to homemade only and see if that works. For now though, he is better. I'll take that! :)
That is great news. Hopefully he continues on this upswing! Its so hard when they aren't well. Its been tough on all of us here, but i would do anything for them. Keep me posted on things with Huxley :lovecat: