Dealing With Food Allergies, Possible Ibs And Stomatitis

bernii123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much.

He is a foster kitten. I got him when he was 5 weeks old. He was dumped at a pet shop and then brought to me. Im not sure he was eating at that time but only getting kitten milk. He started off on royal canine.
His eyes were also in a horrible state.. Always watery with discharge. He still has his eye problem aswell.. It goes away and comes back again. Im using the same litter as the people who had him. Crystals.

I got him in summer time. I think it can really be anything. The enviroment is different from where he came from.

His ears started off just being dirty. (No hard discharge and also not so bad) But it got worse over time. His been on so many medications so many ear drops. I also have a feeling he might have hearing loss and he also looks lost (im not sure how to explain it)

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Not so good to hear Huxley's not been so great this past 24 hours- have your talked with your vet again about his going off food?
How do cats always manage to come up with new issues when we're having to leave them for a while? It's like they sense something's going on and their anxiety kicks in to add to our worries.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
mservant mservant I drfinitely think he is picking up on my increasing stress! He ended up eating all of his food late at night, and pooped this morning. However, it is taking a lot of coaxing and putting the food in and out of the fridge for it not to waste when he is only licking it a bit and takes forever to eat. It will be difficult for my friends to handle. I contacted the shelter he came from and whether it's guilt for downplaying a lot of his issues or not they are going to try and help me find a foster home for him for the month and will take him in for a few days if they have to. I hope this works out. I know there is a chance Huxley will be just fine when I am gone, but I would rather be safe than sorry!

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
mservant mservant I drfinitely think he is picking up on my increasing stress! He ended up eating all of his food late at night, and pooped this morning. However, it is taking a lot of coaxing and putting the food in and out of the fridge for it not to waste when he is only licking it a bit and takes forever to eat. It will be difficult for my friends to handle. I contacted the shelter he came from and whether it's guilt for downplaying a lot of his issues or not they are going to try and help me find a foster home for him for the month and will take him in for a few days if they have to. I hope this works out. I know there is a chance Huxley will be just fine when I am gone, but I would rather be safe than sorry!
Will he do ok with strangers? All mine are horribly anti social.

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Living with a cat with IBD is just one giant roller coaster ride full of high and lows. Yesterday, Huxley looked terrible, didn't eat during the day apart from that dry food he seems addicted to in the early morning, and didn't poop. Then today, he pooped twice, reluctantly agreed to eat some wet food during the afternoon (I cut his dry food portion in half in the morning), and is eating without fuss this evening. Now I have to make sure he gets enough wet food this evening to get enough nutrients and calories. I hope this means we are on the mend. I am sure it's because he only got a tiny bit if grains compared to his regular portion. Or maybe the antiacid and Miralax are finally starting to help. Let's hope it stays that way.

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He is not anti social per say, but he is not a people's cat either. When my friends or anyone comes over, he runs for cover when he hears a knock on the door and will hide behind the mirror in my room (don't have the hearts to tell him everyone can see his butt sticking out!). Then after while, once we are settled and talking in the living room, he comes out and starts walking around or come on my lap. He won't let them go too close to him, but will stay in the same room so I think he would eventually settle. A foster family would be far better than having him in a cage at the vet's or the shelter as he would have to be caged because of his diet. At least I know that he would stay with people who know how to take care of cats and would be able to bring him to multiple vet visits if necessary. Today has been a good day so if he maintains tomorrow, I'll try to have him here.
Will he do ok with strangers? All mine are horribly anti social.

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He is not anti social per say, but he is not a people's cat either. When my friends or anyone comes over, he runs for cover when he hears a knock on the door and will hide behind the mirror in my room (don't have the hearts to tell him everyone can see his butt sticking out!). Then after while, once we are settled and talking in the living room, he comes out and starts walking around or come on my lap. He won't let them go too close to him, but will stay in the same room so I think he would eventually settle. A foster family would be far better than having him in a cage at the vet's or the shelter as he would have to be caged because of his diet. At least I know that he would stay with people who know how to take care of cats and would be able to bring him to multiple vet visits if necessary. Today has been a good day so if he maintains tomorrow, I'll try to have him here.
How are things going today? Have you decided where Huxley will be staying?

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello kittensx4 kittensx4 . Thank you for checking on us! Huxley is doing much better! Fingers and toes crossed that things continue to go that way! He is eating well, and has pooped everyday so far this week.
My friend and I have talked, and she feels comfortable for him to stay home with him. The shelter did not find a foster home, but recommended experienced cat sitters (one who has delt with her own cat with IBD) and if my friends struggle, I can have them come in every day or every other day to check in on them and make sure all is good.
Huxley does seem good though. He is more alert and plays. I can tell from his eyes alone (big and wide open) and his general demeanor that he feels better. He still licks his lips so I know he is still a bit neasous, but it is definitely not as much as before. Hopefully it all works out!
How's Runt doing? Better I hope.
Happy 4th of July!

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello kittensx4 kittensx4 . Thank you for checking on us! Huxley is doing much better! Fingers and toes crossed that things continue to go that way! He is eating well, and has pooped everyday so far this week.
My friend and I have talked, and she feels comfortable for him to stay home with him. The shelter did not find a foster home, but recommended experienced cat sitters (one who has delt with her own cat with IBD) and if my friends struggle, I can have them come in every day or every other day to check in on them and make sure all is good.
Huxley does seem good though. He is more alert and plays. I can tell from his eyes alone (big and wide open) and his general demeanor that he feels better. He still licks his lips so I know he is still a bit neasous, but it is definitely not as much as before. Hopefully it all works out!
How's Runt doing? Better I hope.
Happy 4th of July!
Runt is still looking pretty good thank you for Asking .And I'm happy to hear things are going good with you guys as well . You're plan for Huxley sounds great .

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is it. I've just left Huxley home and am on my way to the airport. I have a giant lump of anxiety in the pitt of my stomach, but I think Huxley will be okay. Keep your fingers crossed for him everyone!

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got some very good updates from my friend. He has eaten all of his food and did #2. He is also already staying on top of the reclining chair with her. She must be a cat whisperer! It took him days to come that close to me when I first got him, and he still runs for cover every time someone knocks at the door. I am very relieved though. If he's gotten over the stress of someone else being in his space and still ate well, we should be just fine! :)

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got some very good updates from my friend. He has eaten all of his food and did #2. He is also already staying on top of the reclining chair with her. She must be a cat whisperer! It took him days to come that close to me when I first got him, and he still runs for cover every time someone knocks at the door. I am very relieved though. If he's gotten over the stress of someone else being in his space and still ate well, we should be just fine! :)
That is the best news! Go Huxley!!!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Aww, way to go Huxley. It is much easier missing your cat when you know they are coping well without you and have got their paws wrapped round another human to be sure of being pampered. :thumbsup:

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Things still going good?

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
kittensx4 kittensx4 so far, yes. Thank you for asking. All is regular and he is eating well :)
He's also getting used to her and lets him pet him on the floor and on the bed. No sitting on lap yet, but he is doing very well with her in the house. He does not miss me whereas I miss my Huxley cuddles! How's Runt doing?

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That is great news! I am so glad things are going good with the little guy. And I am sure he misses you as much as you are missing him :) Runt has been great. No redness or itching since last Wednesday. His little head finally looks back to normal. He has remained at 2mg of his allergy meds and this Sunday will be his last day on them that makes me quite nervous. Hopefully there will be no flare ups and we can conclude his allergies are seasonal. Fingers crossed. Next will be working on losing some weight. He needs to drop 3 or 4 lbs. There is always some challenge isn't there?!

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hope all goes well when you take away the medication! Let me know how it goes.