Dealing With Chronic Renal Disease

golgotha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Recently my 14 year old Yuna, had a crash to what appears to be Chronic Renal disease.

Her Kidneys were infected (according to the vet), and she had 90.00 mg/dL BUN, 11.30 mg/dL PHOS but fortunately only 2.10 mg/dL CRE which is supposed to be right at the edge of acceptable, though a bunch of other stuff were very low/high.

For the record, before I took her to the vet, the only obvious symptoms was frequent drinking and urination, and lethargy, weight loss would also apply but that was happening over a long period of time, to what I thought was unrelated reasons (may still in part be) and she was also dehydrated and I couldn't tell.

She never refused to eat (boiled chicken, and raw ground beef, she stopped eating kibble a little while ago, because of her teeth or so I thought) and her feces were for the most part, solid.

That was back on the 11th, I have no idea how better her blood work (costs about $85 a pop) is now, she been to the vet for IV and shots pretty much every day since.

She had her ups and downs during that period, and though she was given prescription therapeutic renal diet, with very low phosphorus, which did not refuse to eat at first (both wet and dry), it resulted in her having a very bad case of diarrhea which caused her to get dehydrated yet again. She recovered form that and now she refuses to eat it again, though she has no problem mowing down the stuff I used to feed her (which are probably pretty high on phosphorus) I only gave her a small quantity of her old food yesterday, but today I will give her more, as the vet also agreed that her eating at all, is more important than managing her phosphorus levels, at least until she completely stabilizes.

One thing that troubles me, but the vet had no comment on was that the color of her feces, since she stopped eating the renal stuff, is of a really dark brown (though not black), which worries me in case it means intestinal bleeding (probably from ulcers) or liver problems, could also possibly be from her stomach creating too much acid? As it happens with cats in this state.

I was also given a food supplement to give her, which seemed a bit suspect and may in part be responsible for her not handling the renal food well (I did not give it to her yesterday and probably won't today) called SOFCANIS Felin (French made apparently) that says it has 3mg of phosphorus inside and its main ingredient is some herb called Lespedeza Capitata.

Also the only Phosphorus binder that's easily accessible to me is Maalox, which I will start using in place of her renal diet, if she keeps refusing to eat it (and it doesn't cause her diarrhea if she does). I will try to find something without magnesium in the meantime.

Anyway, I have found this incredible (though overwhelming) resource for CKD but I was looking for personal advice or testimonials of people having their cats go through this or with similar symptoms with mine. I have spend a little over $300 between vet visits and cab fares, if she keeps needing vet trips I'm going to run out of funds, there's also no guarantee that she'll survive this even in the short term (Vet isn't very hopeful, but they never are) so any help would be appreciated.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS.
I too have a ckd cat, Casper, who is a few months past his 16th birthday. In fact, today was the first day he had to have subq fluids administered and will now need them at least 2x a week until, well, whenever.
I'd suggest you take a look at the website Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat
This site is extremely well run, full of necessary information and will also have links for good food choices and support groups as well. It's been a life saver for me and I know others who have cats suffering from renal disease.
I'm hesitant to address most of you specific health concerns. I can only say we've experienced similar symptoms with Casper. We have a lot of trouble getting him to eat anything consistently. He throws up a lot (both bile and food) - thankfully is maintaining his weight now.
I've never heard of the food supplement you mentioned and frankly, I'd hesitate to give any supplements other than the probiotic which is highly recommended by both vets and cat owners. I personally use one called Renadyl instead of the often prescribed Azodyl because it has double the colonies and can be given mixed into food (I use plain meat babyfood from Gerbers or Beechnut - he's never turned his nose up at it).
I had him at the vet today for a 6 month full blood work up. I get results later in the week but the doctor said to start him on 1/4 pill Pepcid AC to help with the naseau he is experiencing. I've had good luck also with Cerenia given on a specific schedule (4-5 days on, 2 off, rinse and repeat as needed).

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I've had three kidney cats, and Tanya's website was definitely my "go to" for my many questions. G golgotha , since your little one is having issues due to a kidney infection, is it still considered CHRONIC, or acute? There is a huge difference. Or do they think she had CRF and THEN developed the kidney infection? Is she currently on antibiotics for that infection?

As far as low phosphorus food, did you see the list of foods within that website? It lists probably hundreds of foods in order of the amount of phos in it, both dry and wet food, so you can probably find others foods that are low that might work for you without the need for adding a phos binder. NONE of my cats would eat the kidney specific foods, nor did any of them ever use phosphorus binders in their food. They did, however, use the Pepcid A/C referred to above by sivyaleah when they started throwing up a frothy substance, the sign of over acidity in their tummies. I don't think would be giving any food supplement that contains phosphorus, especially since the objective is to cut DOWN on the amount of phosphorus she is consuming. Why are you giving that? To help her gain weight? That is always the issue with our kidney cats, that's for certain :sigh:

I don't really think you need to worry too much about the color of her stool at this moment in time. Tarry black is something to worry about. That's not what you described.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

golgotha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies.

I have t admit that I find the info in Tanya's site quite overwhelming and I'm still shifting through it, it was a great comfort to me though because when I saw the bloodwork I thought of the worse.

G golgotha , since your little one is having issues due to a kidney infection, is it still considered CHRONIC, or acute? There is a huge difference. Or do they think she had CRF and THEN developed the kidney infection? Is she currently on antibiotics for that infection
They think the infection was a result of her chronic CRF they didn't tell me anything about acute, she is indeed on antibiotics, though I never had to give her any personally since she's been going to the vet every day and the vet gives it to her in shots. The vet told me not to take her tomorrow unless she has a turn for the worse, or so to take out that thingy they put on her hand for the IV to go through.

As far as low phosphorus food, did you see the list of foods within that website? It lists probably hundreds of foods in order of the amount of phos in it, both dry and wet food, so you can probably find others foods that are low that might work for you without the need for adding a phos binder.
I thought I would try the Royal Canin satchel with chunks Senior, seems to be pretty low on phosphorous for a non therapeutic diet and Yuna had it before recently with no issues. It was however fed to her as supplementary to her normal diet, so I don't know if by it self it may cause her diarrhea. The vet yesterday and today fed her a Lily's Kitchen, Organic fish Dinner and she has no problem eating it up and doesn't seem to cause diarrhea. But there's nothing about how much phosphorus it has at the back of the box, so I will have to look it up later.

I don't think would be giving any food supplement that contains phosphorus, especially since the objective is to cut DOWN on the amount of phosphorus she is consuming. Why are you giving that? To help her gain weight? That is always the issue with our kidney cats, that's for certain :sigh:
I only gave it to her because the vet told me to. I stopped because besides the phosphorus issue, I wasn't sure it was worth it or was even causing harm. It says renal protection on the box, and here's its ingredients breakdown:

Extract (Dry) Lespedeza Capitata: 25.6% (50mg), Pork Byproducts -
Moisture: 3.7% - Crude Ash: 6.3% - Protein: 12,0% - Creatine: 29.8%, Fats: 3.1% -
Phosphorous: 3mg - Calcium: 4.8mg, Potassium: 0,4mg - Sodium: 0,5mg -*

*I had to translate the ingredients from another language in English, I can't guarantee they're 100% accurate.

I don't really think you need to worry too much about the color of her stool at this moment in time. Tarry black is something to worry about. That's not what you described.
After I pestered the vet about it, she told me it may be because of some brown pill she's been giving her, what brown pill? She didn't say any more than that, vets locally are not used to giving detailed explanations most locals don't care to know. But I will inquire further tomorrow especially if she continues on that color range. I took a picture of her last feces, but I will spare people from posting it here.

Anyway, I hope she keeps getting better because I'm really hurting money wise, and I'll try to find the lowest possible phosphorus food she will eat and hold nicely, while I keep going through Tanya's amazing resource.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They main herb in that Sofcanis Felin has been used by Native Americans for centuries, and there is some evidence that it does help the kidneys, however, it is usually dosed in a tincture form. I'm guessing for cats it's just easier to dose in a food supplement. The only thing I could pull up over here (in the U.S.) showed something that looked like treats...is that what you have? If your Vet prescribed this, then I would simply ask about the phosphorus content and depending on their response, possibly continue to give it.

If you can't find a specific food on the food list on Tanya's website, just call the manufacturer and ask them the Phosphorus content. They should tell you.

Most kidney cats have constipation issues versus diarrhea. All mine did.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

golgotha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have some bad news.

Though Yuna was doing better last night, or so I thought, I woke up to find her resting her head to the water bowl today. Which is something she's never done before.

And though she shows some interest in eating she doesn't actually go ahead with it, last time she ate was about 8 hours ago.

I took her to the vet for more IV treatment or whatever else they can do for her, probably for the last time as I've seen these signs before and they lead to nowhere else but death.

I wish I was just being paranoid and she'll recover from this but as I've said I seen it before, and I'm getting ready to spend what might be my last night with her, tomorrow morning depending on how/if her situations worsens I will take her to be put down as I don't want her to suffer.

Thanks to anyone who gave their input, I wish things would have turned out better and she could have dealt with this disease but things don't always go as we wish.

If anything miraculous happens I'll post here. If the worse comes to pass I'll make a thread in the Crossing the Bridge forum.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
G golgotha Very sorry that Yuna isn't responding to treatments. Yes, hanging the head over the water bowl is not a good sign. Thinking of you as you contemplate the next step. I try hard not to even think about that myself. We are all here for you to help support you when needed :alright:

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm so sorry she doesn't seem to be responding to the treatment. My heart goes out to you. :hugs:

Ever hoping for miracles :vibes::vibes::vibes: