Dasuquin Joint Supplement

leo12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know if Dasuquin Advance has any type of chicken flavoring in it? We have a three legged cat, and I purchased a bottle of Dasuquin from my vet today because Spencers front leg seems to be getting sore from taking all the pressure from not having a back leg on that side, and I thought maybe it would give him some joint relief. He is missing a leg because of chicken allergies, and I don't want to take any chances. I asked the vets girl at the front desk, and she didn't see any thing on the bottle about ingredients.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I got this from the FAQ on their website -

Dasuquin from Nutramax Laboratories Veterinary Sciences, Inc. is a joint health supplement for cats that goes beyond standard glucosamine supplements. It contains NMX1000® avocado/soybean unsaponifiables (ASU), green tea extract (EGCG), FCHG49® glucosamine hydrochloride, and TRH122® low molecular weight chondroitin sulfate in a natural chicken flavored sprinkle capsule. It is a comprehensive joint support supplement.

https://www.dasuquin.com/en/faqs/

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would contact the company and ask if the "natural chicken flavor" is made from real chicken or just a bunch of artificial flavorings to mimic a "natural flavor".

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leo12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The natural chicken flavor really scares me, I am going to contact them today. Will let you know, thank you.

leo12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just called the company, they said the capsule is made of Hydrolized? Chicken, which I took as meaning by the time they get done taking the proteins, etc out of it the cats body doesn't recognize it as chicken. But, she said every cat is different. She said if I am still concerned, to open the capsule and just sprinkle the ingredients on the food, do not give Spencer the capsule to eat. That is what I did yesterday, so I'm glad to hear it. He ate his food with it sprinkled on yesterday, no problem, and hopefully he will keep doing it because his walking is getting worse, Thank you AbbysMom, and LTS3, its one less thing to worry about with him.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Only the capsule is chicken flavored? Interesting. Cosequin is a sprinkle capsule and the powder has a "natural flavor". Cosequin is made by the same company that makes Dasequin.

Hydrolyzed proteins are supposed to not trigger reactions. Many prescriptions foods for food allergies are hydrolyzed protein based

leo12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I thought it was odd that they would make the capsule flavored if it is for cats, because I can't see a cat eating the entire capsule, so why bother. Do you buy the Cosequin just for cats, and is it through a vet, or Chewy, etc?

leo12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Chewys is definitely cheaper, I paid $30 for 60 from my vet. Its not a 100% sure thing that he is allergic to chicken, but after the leg amputation we switched him to grain free/chicken free and he was doing very good for about probably two years, but is now getting raised bumps all over and had to get a shot, which only helped for a month. Its so hard to figure out what the problem is.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
According to Chewy the ingredients don't include chicken. If the gel capsule does, you won't be giving that to him. It's worlds easier to just sprinkle it on their food. Since he's aching you don't want to have to fight a pill down him anyway. Note, it's one capsule a day for under 10 pounds, two for over.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Question. How did the chicken allergy get your boy's leg amputated? Sounds frightening. Poor little guy..

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Now that I think of it, someone here on TCS has mentioned empty vegetarian capsules that are somehow (artificially?) chicken flavored, Capsules for Cats

According to Chewy the ingredients don't include chicken. If the gel capsule does, you won't be giving that to him.
The powder itself contains no chicken. So it would be ok to open the capsule and empty out the powder into food.

I see no reason to flavor the capsule at all if the capsules are meant to be opened and the powder sprinkled into food :dunno: Maybe the flavored capsule is an alternative way to get the Dasequin into a cat who won't eat tampered food.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was wondering about that too. I mean if you are getting a capsule into a cat, flavor hardly matters. Perhaps they make the capsules in huge batches... It still doesn't make any sense. Why should the capsules have any taste whatsoever? They are only on the tongue for a second or so depending on the fight before they go down or melt.

Do capsules for people have flavors? One huge batch for all the medicines the company makes?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think most pull-apart type capsules of Human medicines sold OTC and prescription are unflavored. Or are supposed be unflavored. I recall taking a capsule that left a lingering bitter gross taste in my mouth:barfgreen: You can buy empty capsules for people in flavors like grape and strawberry.

leo12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It just seems like a waste of time to flavor the capsules, I can't see a cat biting into them when they're full of powder. Kittyluv387, Spencer kept licking his back leg half way down, at the joint. We kept taking him back to the vet, and he would put meds on it, give him shots, and put a bandage on it because it was raw. We used an e collar, a doughnut collar, and t shirts to try to Spencer from taking the bandage off and licking it. I think the bandage probably caused a lot of friction and maybe made it worst. We finally went for a second opinion, and the vet said the sore was down to the tendon and couldn't be fixed, he needed an amputation. We went for a third opinion, and that vet also agreed on amputation. After the surgery we decided to try things on our own, no grain, no chicken, and different litter. Maybe it was just coincidence but after changing the food he no longer chewed himself. Yet another vet thinks he must have gotten injured when he was out in the wild and had back damage which gave him nerve pain on his leg, and caused him to constantly lick it. Its impossible to tell, but this past two months he is starting to get scabs over his body, so that's not good. He Got a DepoMedrol? shot two months ago, it worked for a month, but now the scabs are back.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It just seems like a waste of time to flavor the capsules, I can't see a cat biting into them when they're full of powder. Kittyluv387, Spencer kept licking his back leg half way down, at the joint. We kept taking him back to the vet, and he would put meds on it, give him shots, and put a bandage on it because it was raw. We used an e collar, a doughnut collar, and t shirts to try to Spencer from taking the bandage off and licking it. I think the bandage probably caused a lot of friction and maybe made it worst. We finally went for a second opinion, and the vet said the sore was down to the tendon and couldn't be fixed, he needed an amputation. We went for a third opinion, and that vet also agreed on amputation. After the surgery we decided to try things on our own, no grain, no chicken, and different litter. Maybe it was just coincidence but after changing the food he no longer chewed himself. Yet another vet thinks he must have gotten injured when he was out in the wild and had back damage which gave him nerve pain on his leg, and caused him to constantly lick it. Its impossible to tell, but this past two months he is starting to get scabs over his body, so that's not good. He Got a DepoMedrol? shot two months ago, it worked for a month, but now the scabs are back.
Wow so sorry to hear..can't believe that's even possible!

leo12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I couldn't believe it either, when it happened. His allergy possibly isn't to chicken, or maybe it was nerve damage, but I can't take any chances so that's why I have to question everything he eats. I hate to keep going back for the shots, but it looks like I'm going to have to, he keeps getting more scabs. Thanks

leo12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've heard that not all gelatin are based on chicken, some are based on fish and other animals.
Vegetarian capsules maybe also a great choice.
We tried one brand, and he wouldn't eat the food we put it on. Our vet recommended DVM Feline joint gel, no chicken in it. He was eating it mixed in with his food, now he refuses. Cats definitely don't make things easy for their owners