Daredevil Cats

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our bobcat seems to be missing the part of his brain that calculates "safety". Or else, he just doesn't care.
He doesn't have time to climb down from anything. :lol:
basscat basscat - You know, you could have had a normal pet like a Gerbil. They eat recliners too, but it takes them more than three bites.

§

Moo Shu Snowshoe in her younger days. There's no other access to the top of this bookcase - it's a (running) seven foot, five inch vertical leap. The door she's perched on is just one inch wide.

snowshoe_bookcase.jpg

Go ahead - guess what method she employed to get down. That's right - "Mroooooowwwwww, mrrrroooooowwwwww, mrroooooowwwwww!"

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL 1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine
One of ours used do that on the top edge of the shower door. Only one way up and down (jump).
When our tabby was "weeks" old, he would go to the top of any and every tree in front of him. The 1st time he did it he was "hand size" and shot 50ft up. Terrified us and we had no idea what to do. I finally just decided if he was there in the morning, I'd start calling people. But, he backed down as if he'd done it a hundred times.
The next night he ran into a 4" pvc drain tube that runs under a concrete patio.
I walked back to my chair, sat down, and told my wife "I guess that's it, there's NO WAY to get him out of THERE".
Few minutes later, he was headed up a tree. He somehow backed out of that tube.

It's amazing he's still alive. That's just 2 of about 10 really bad situations he's got himself into that one would think "that's it".
Now he's a strictly indoor cat.

Oh, here's number 3, he found this for us.

Last edited:

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Somebody dumped an expecting cat at the shop. She seemed like a nice, friendly cat. So, we made sure she had food and water. She had 7 kittens. She was always retrieving one of them. We called him the "brave one" since all of the others would stay near her, and the "brave one" would be 50ft away somewhere. Wobble a couple feet, fall over, and do it again. LOL
Gave two of the kittens away.
Came in one morning and all of the kittens and the momma were dead, scattered all over the shop. Cleaned up the mess, little bit sad and down because we had decided she could stay. :sniffle::sniffle::sniffle:
The shop is open in the back and I guess some of the neighbors dogs had gotten ahold of them. Figured they ate one, or carried one off, and just ended all the rest of them.
Later that day, I thought I heard a squeak under some piled up car parts. Sure enough, there was the "brave one". The dogs had thrown him across the shop and he landed in a place where they couldn't get to him. (They had shredded two car seats trying though).
SO, I took him home and bottle fed him for two weeks.
(That was number 1).
Not a week after he was weaned, he ran straight up a 60ft tall Oak tree. We figured that was it, but, he backed right down it like a pro.
(That was 2)
Then he darted into that drain tube that wasn't much bigger than he was. Assumed that was it, but, he backed out of that.
(That was 3)
Woke up one morning about a month later to SCREAMING. (He was living on the back screened in porch). Ran downstairs and he was at the top of one of the screens, just screaming his lungs out while two big dogs were clawing holes in the bottom of the screen and jumping trying to get him. They had a hole, but, luckily didn't go through it.
I patched it up and added chicken wire to prevent future instances like this.
(That was 4)
He's been trampled and kicked by a herd of deer.
(5)
He wanted to play with a big tomcat that wasn't playing.
(6)
We have a balcony with a banister like the OP's photo. He just flat out jumped OVER that banister chasing a wasp one evening. Landing on the sofa was LUCK.
(7)
He got within 5ft of the only Timber Rattler I've seen around the house in 30 years.
(8)
And, the last straw, which was the worst.....he's been a victim of a tick borne disease that very few cats survive.
(9)

Now he's strictly an indoor cat. :lol:

donnae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Capt. KitKat Jack loves to hang out in high places. And he just jumps down. You can hear him land throughout the house.If you can see the upper window, it about 20 ft up. I worry he will try to get up there from the railing at the top of the stairs, he has jumped from the top railing to the floor but haven't seen him try for the top window yet

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
donnae donnae - Then it's true - Captain Jack actually can fly. That's a great video!

Edit: after running the video in slow motion, and a quick slide rule consultation: estimating Captain Jack's weight at 12 pounds, his nose-to-tail length at 30 inches, and the doorhead at 84 inches tall, this is the equivalent of a six foot, 175 pound man standing roughly seventeen feet away from a three storey building, and jumping to the roof. Cats truly are incredible.

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Wow, there are some brave and fearless cats out there! I'm glad that most of mine stay in their enclosure.

Hiro is my daredevil cat.

Not scared of water.

Hiro7.jpg

Not scared of snow.
Hiro16.jpg

Not scared of heights.
Hiro24.jpg

Hiro25.jpg

Not scared of big ex-feral cats, no matter how many battles they've had.
HiroGin1.jpg
HiroGin5.jpg

Hiro really thinks he is a Super Hiro.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, there are some brave and fearless cats out there! I'm glad that most of mine stay in their enclosure.

Hiro is my daredevil cat.

Not scared of water.

View attachment 203857
Not scared of snow.
View attachment 203858

Not scared of heights.
View attachment 203859

View attachment 203860

Not scared of big ex-feral cats, no matter how many battles they've had.
View attachment 203861 View attachment 203862

Hiro really thinks he is a Super Hiro.
Norachan Norachan - No question that Hiro is really a SuperHiro, but I can beat that. Here's Peanut:

peanutmooshu.jpg

Peanut isn't even afraid of Moo Shu.

;)

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Norachan Norachan - No question that Hiro is really a SuperHiro, but I can beat that. Here's Peanut:

View attachment 203863

Peanut isn't even afraid of Moo Shu.

;)
Oh yeah? Well, you've obviously never met Hiro's girl friend, Chicken. Don't let her name fool you, she really is a fearsome beast.

Chicken13.jpg

Her nickname is Psycho Kitty.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Norachan Norachan - I've known some fierce chickens, and an even fiercer Nēnē goose.

;)

Chicken is absolutely stunning. You really hit the Cat Jackpot, d'ya know that? How's my your lovely Forest Cat these days? Ready for Winter, I hope.