Dandruff?

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So Delilah had developed a small mat in the fur near her tail. I combed it out and I noticed that Delilah seems to have dandruff.

I know the automatic suggestion is fish oil, but any fish gives her tummy trouble, even food with fish oil.

Any suggestions on how to treat it?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you brush Delilah regularly - as in at least 2-3 times a week, perhaps daily if she is a bit longer haired, or mats easily? The brushing spreads out the natural oils in a cat's skin. A slicker brush might be something to try if all you currently use is a comb. The mat also suggests she might not be grooming as much as she could, so brushing is helpful from that aspect as well.

Keeping the air humidified can also help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Do you brush Delilah regularly - as in at least 2-3 times a week, perhaps daily if she is a bit longer haired, or mats easily? The brushing spreads out the natural oils in a cat's skin. A slicker brush might be something to try if all you currently use is a comb. The mat also suggests she might not be grooming as much as she could, so brushing is helpful from that aspect as well.

Keeping the air humidified can also help.
I do brush her periodically though I could do it more frequently. I have a Furminator combination brush with 3 different sides and brush gloves. The comb was just to get the mat out because none of the sides of the brush was doing it.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So Delilah had developed a small mat in the fur near her tail. I combed it out and I noticed that Delilah seems to have dandruff.

I know the automatic suggestion is fish oil, but any fish gives her tummy trouble, even food with fish oil.

Any suggestions on how to treat it?
If it's only a small amount, I'm not sure i would worry about it. My cat, Arnold, sometimes gets a small amount of dandruff in the winter when it's dry outside. Then it goes away as the humidity returns. I just keep him well combed. He has medium to long fur.