Dandruff

algebrapro18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is it possible for cats to have dandruff? I was noticing white flakes on the bottom of the furminator yesterday. If it is dandruff are their any good shampoos to use to treat it or should it be left untreated?

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep they do get dandruff.

Shampoo will do nothing.
Dandruff is caused by diet and environment.

Adding an omega supplement oil, or even just vitamin E oil to their food will help, as will bringing up the humidity in the home, either with a few fountains or a couple of cool air humidifiers.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes cats can have dandruff. Two of my cats have it. One from old age and nothing seems to help her. The other one has many major medical issues you can just add this to her list
. But what I have found helped her with the dandruff was adding an Omega vitamin to her diet. But before doing what I did speak to a licensed veterinarian

cyndersmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
not to scare you but i thought my cat had the same thing,and just found out yesterday, that it LICE
got some advantage and hopefully it will work. he was a barn cat and i guess got it from another cat, but EWWWWWW!!!! and am working on fixing the problem..,. i just hope to get rid of it...