Daisy & Jasper, kittens suckling on eachother. Help!

Cattycoves

Following mama kitty
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all! So it’s been awhile since I’ve made a post, if you’ve followed my other threads about puddles or gus, they’re doing great super healthy chunky babies. All growed up awaiting their spay/neuter!

Anywho! Here we go again, these new babies are Jasper (Tabby) & Daisy ( gray and white) anyway, This time the issue is suckling on each other. I’ve never had more than 1 bottle baby before and never dealt with something like this. They are 12ish days old eyes just popped open

background info:
So background on them, they were found in a nice ladies garden and then called me mama left them never came back. Originally there were four these two are the only survivors. They honestly are the most healthy seeming babies I’ve had thus far. I picked them up last Sunday (august 6th) allegedly they were born the previous Tuesday (August 1st) they’ve been pretty good Daisy has a harder time accepting the nipple, Jaspy is so good with it, he’s an easy going little dude lol.

The issue :
Ms Daisy duke feels the need to suckle on her brother ALL OVER HIS BODY. since I’ve had them he is ALWAYS wet looking and just kinda icky looking fur. I don’t really know what to do here it’s become a big problem as there is a bump on his foot now which I think she caused from suckling (ps what can/should I put on it? : should I wrap it, and do Neosporin ? I added a picture of what it looked like! ) however it’s not miss crazy Daisy doing this suckling little Jasper will occasionally do it too. I’ve offered both more milk at feeding, doesn’t matter throughout the night they still do it. Do I separate? I thought about making a little sock onesie to stop the sucking but she’s been sucking on his hole head too that’s why he looks a bit (no offense Jaspy) like a little rat baby. Their beautiful eyes have opened no issues which is so crazy every baby I’ve had had issues keeping them open! I know it isn’t ideal to separate them but I don’t quite know what else I could do here, If you have any suggestions let me know!

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cattycoves

Following mama kitty
Young Cat
Purraise
What if you gave her a teddy bear to suck on instead? If you see her sucking redirect her to the teddy bear.
While it is MAINLY her doing all the sucking, he is too. They have 4 stuffys in there but they’re constantly doing it to eachother, they’ve been doing it all hours of the day as well is there such thing a a kitten pacifier 🤔

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You need to separate them and only give them time together when you can supervise and keep them from suckling each other. This is not uncommon in kittens who have been separated from mom too young, but as it is a health issue it needs to stop immediately.

In the meantime, get soft cloths and dip a corner in formula and offer that to suckle on. Once they taste the milk, hopefully the cloths will become a regular pacifier for them.

Also, can you order Miracle Nipples from Amazon? They are most like mom’s and the female kitten may do better with one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cattycoves

Following mama kitty
Young Cat
Purraise
You need to separate them and only give them time together when you can supervise and keep them from suckling each other. This is not uncommon in kittens who have been separated from mom too young, but as it is a health issue it needs to stop immediately.

In the meantime, get soft cloths and dip a corner in formula and offer that to suckle on. Once they taste the milk, hopefully the cloths will become a regular pacifier for them.

Also, can you order Miracle Nipples from Amazon? They are most like mom’s and the female kitten may do better with one.
ah great idea for the cloth I’ll try that!
They are currently on Miracle nipples, I think she’s started to struggle cause she can see a bit now,

do you think it’s safe to put Neosporin on his little bump and wrap it?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Keep the bump clean, and hopefully it’s not infected and will heal on its own. I do agree that if you have concerns, a vet should look at it before you apply anything that could possibly be ingested by a tiny kitten. Also, most wounds heal best when exposed to air. Do you think it’s infected?