"da bird" help please.

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, well since joining I have heard alot about "da bird" toy. I am in england and not sure where to get one from, I am intrigued and think my kitties will love it. The only pet place we have online in england is pets at home (as far as I am aware), I am not sure what it looks like, I have posted a link on the interactive toys that pets at home do, please tell me if any is "da bird" and if not pleeeassee can someone tell me where to get one from. Thanks you lovely lot. xx

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/cat/c...tive-cat-toys/

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It doesn't have to be called "Da Bird"

any fishing pole cat toy with a replaceable feather end is basically "da bird".

As far as I can tell, I don't see anything resembling this on that website...

Perhaps you could ask at your local pet store if they have any selection of feather cat toys?

This is what they look like as far as I know.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekomania

It doesn't have to be called "Da Bird"

any fishing pole cat toy with a replaceable feather end is basically "da bird".
Actually, that's not true. What makes da Bird different is that the way it attaches is via a specific type of swivel. I know it as a swivel for fishing lures. It sounds and flutters VERY differently than any other feather wand toy we've had that has replaceable feathers. Most of them have chains that clip in/out - and they are just not the same!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Actually, that's not true. What makes da Bird different is that the way it attaches is via a specific type of swivel. I know it as a swivel for fishing lures. It sounds and flutters VERY differently than any other feather wand toy we've had that has replaceable feathers. Most of them have chains that clip in/out - and they are just not the same!

I hope you are able to find one. It's one of my girl's favorite toys. I have to keep it where they can't get to it. My only suggestion is to not get the collapsible wand one if you can help it. I had some trouble with mine shedding the fibrous coating and they'd stick in my hand like nearly invisible splinters.
A little electrical tape solved that; but still.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

That's very true! When I pull out da bird, both of my girls come running! It flitters and flutters so enticingly (apparently
).

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Yeah, it's the aerodynamics of da bird that do it for da cats!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

My kitties LOVE LOVE LOVE 'da bird'!!! Just be sure to buy plenty of replacement feathers along with the origional wand/da bird- you will need them

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yep to the above, but my kitties favorite replacement is this one - called "cat catcher", made by the same people, for a different toy... HARD to find, but DRIVE THEM NUTS!!!!!!
way wilder them Da Bird! I have No clue why!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We don't have them over here either, so I get them from US Ebay - with refils in bulk cos we go through a lot with my active cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thankyou eveyone, and thanks for the links, just going to check out ebay before I order one from da bird uk. xx

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

I hope you are able to find one. It's one of my girl's favorite toys. I have to keep it where they can't get to it. My only suggestion is to not get the collapsible wand one if you can help it. I had some trouble with mine shedding the fibrous coating and they'd stick in my hand like nearly invisible splinters.
A little electrical tape solved that; but still.
Yeah, same here. I got the Feline Flyer to replace it.. better wand and string IMO.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does Amazon deliver to UK? That's where I got one. I know they ship to Canada b/c I sent Trout's Mom one.

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ordered one off ebay uk, they are from USA and it is the original da bird, £5.95 and £1.95 shipping which I think is a bargain. Can't wait to get it, thanks for all your help. xx

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like a good price, Quincy managed to break the string on ours again so I am off to Petsmart tomorrow for a new one, there are way too many knotted repairs in the old one now

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Shame you didn't get it from Purrs in our Hearts, as part of the money would have gone to a cat rescue - not sure on the price as I have had mine for over a year, but mine prefer the Da Mouse attachment (it now has no tail) - I bought them the full set of attachments, but they only bother with Da Bird and Da Mouse. They have lots of other American toys that are very hard to get over here, including some fantastic catnip.

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by booktigger

Shame you didn't get it from Purrs in our Hearts, as part of the money would have gone to a cat rescue - not sure on the price as I have had mine for over a year, but mine prefer the Da Mouse attachment (it now has no tail) - I bought them the full set of attachments, but they only bother with Da Bird and Da Mouse. They have lots of other American toys that are very hard to get over here, including some fantastic catnip.
I will have a look, I have 5 cats, so getting two may be a good thing, thanks. x

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I hope you're ready, Ruthyb. We bought "Da Bird" for our cats a couple of years ago, and there's no going back. We have to buy a new feather every couple of weeks or so, and one of our boys pesters us constantly - if he had his way, we'd bring it out three times a day!