D-mannose Or Slippery Elm Bark For Peeing Issues

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wondering if anyone is using D-mannose powder or slippery elm bark for cats who are peeing outside the litter box? I'm going to buy both shortly - Aurora has been peeing outside the litter box for a week now - spent over $600 at the vet last week on urine culture, full blood work, x ray and everything came back normal. She's always been very good about using the box. They said her urine was cloudy so I don't understand by taking the sample by needle how it comes back negative on the culture. Something seems to be bothering her - not sure if this is medical or behaviorial since she has been having some issues with my other cat Mulan lately. If you're using the d mannose or slippery elm please let me know how much you give, how often and for how long to keep administering?

Thanks!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
D Mannose is very popular in the dog world and I used it for a long period of time with a German shepherd who had a condition which paralyzed his bladder. He had to be expressed manually which raises the risk for retained urine which, like your cat, may not test as an infection. There were absolutely no issues with it. Having said that, I use it myself and have found it very effective in remedying bladder conditions. I have never used it on a cat though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Got a call today from the vet - culture results came back with white cells so she said inflammation was present though no bacteria to cause infection. I asked about the d-mannose she suggested a glucosamine product called dasequin sprinkles, she said that also works for bladder inflammation so I guess I'll have to try that. I gave her 2 doses of d mannose last night and she seems to have perked up a lot and used the litter box. She did pee on the carpet this morning but maybe it takes time to fully work.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well she still seems to want to pee on the rug. I have tried using spot shot carpet cleaner which smells pretty good I wasn’t a fan of nature’s miracle. I’m cleaning up with a bowl of cold water and a rag as well after spraying the spot shot. Part of me thinks she’s peeing on the rug because she smells that she’s peed there before. On the other hand I am afraid to remove the rug because I dint want her peeing anywhere else in the house. Ugh. I decided to give her 1/2 capsule of slippery elm in baby food read that’s good for inflammation in the bladder and also the d mannose. Thinking of I should get some cat attract for the litter box just to help coax her there more until we get her bladder inflammation cleared up. If we stand there and ask her to use the litter box she does not sure if this is coincidence or not so today she peed in litter box 3x and carpet once.

KarenF

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I used D-mannose with a cat who had recurrent E Coli infections. Mango had cancer & he was on methylprednisolone and chemotherapy so he was really susceptible to UTIs. He was getting at least one a month (always flaring late at night or on Sundays when my regular vet wasn't open... of course).

Anyway, that was getting pretty stressful (and expensive to go to the emergency vet clinic) and the UTI would flare up again as soon as he finished a course of antibiotics, so I figured I would at least try using d-mannose to see if it would help. Started off with a loading dose of 1/4 teaspoon (mixed with water - I would give it to him with a syringe) twice a day, then pulled back to once a day after about a week. From the time I started giving him the d-mannose (in September) until he died (in April) he didn't have any more UTIs.

From my personal experience, it worked really well in preventing recurrent E.Coli infections (I think before I started it, my research said it would work about 70% of the time with E.Coli). It apparently is not as good with other bacteria. I probably depends on what you want to use it for.

I ordered it off Amazon - it was something like 30 dollars for a tub, the tub lasted about 40 months before I ran out.