Cat Peeing Inappropriately

Rosepud

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello, so my cat had a PU surgery 2 weeks ago tomorrow, due to an unfortunate series of urinary blockages. After the surgery he had to have his litter changed, to either small animal bedding or newspaper based litter, and I went with the newspaper based litter, the problem is since this change he has taken up peeing on soft things a problem he didn't have even with the blockage. He used to have a self cleaning litterbox which he will be switched back to in about a month but it won't work with the litter choices. I don't know if he doesn't like the type of litter, or is upset it has pee odor as his usual cleaned itself automatically(litter robot 3) or what to do. I purchased cat attract and put it in the box for him and I scoop out any waste as soon as I can so if I'm out and get back and there's waste I remove it. However I can't get rid of the urine but change the litter out completely every 3 days even though it's supposed to last a week. I have tried puppy pads at the bottom instead puppy pads with a layer of litter, and still he does this. I don't know what to do anymore bur he can't keep peeing on things. He's also confined to a 120 square foot room while he heals so he shouldn't need another litterbox. Any and all advice is appreciated because this behavior needs to be fixed. He has also seen 3 vets and has nothing wrong that should be causing this.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would suspect he does not like the new litter or the new box. Can your self cleaning litter box be turned off or just kept unplugged? Maybe he would use the new litter if it was in HIS box? It may be more of a hassle for you to keep clean but at least he would be using it. Or maybe just line HIS litter box with the pee pads, as you will be able to remove the pee smell quite quickly by simply replacing the pad. Again, you would obviously have to "disable" the automatic cleaning but it may work.

Does your self cleaning box use clumping clay litter? What if you replaced it with a non clumping corn litter? It has small pieces so that the self cleaning can do it's thing for poop, but you would just have to replace it every so often for the pee. A non clumping, non clay litter (I assume, ask your vet) should be sanitary enough for your healing little boy, and it would be softer on his feet than the news paper stuff and he could use his box.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:headscratch: As a veteran of similar issues myself (both with cats & humans), I know how miserable it can be. First and foremost, is the litter Unscented/fragrance free? I have been unable to find an unscented newspaper litter but if you have, please let me know what brand. Is it possible to use chicken feed as a litter - I use the layer cumbles/krackettes which is similar to what is suggested.
Also, you could look into using marshmallow root and slippery elm teas and ask your vet or consult a holistic vet. Those herbs are very soothing to the urinary and the digestive tracts (as well as the respiratory system) and I have seen great relief from the pain and discomfort from not only the crystals and infections but from procedures as well.
Please keep us updated! :vibes::vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rosepud

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's yesterday's news from purina and it is unscented and I actually started out using his regular litter box and it was worse cuz he had a hard time getting in and out of it with hus stitches so he would frequently just pee by it now it's in the box at least 80% of the time vs. 20% he is now healed enough to use his old box but I decided it was easier to just leave his be. He has tinkle tonic already from the apawthecary that has those herbs in it, and I've asked the vet about being able to use other litters and it's about particle size as they don't want anything getting stuck to the incision site, so the only options are small animal bedding and the newspaper or puppy pads. He didn't have crystals or an infection they guessed idiopathic cystitis, but he is on antibiotics from surgery tho

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the update! I will do an internet search through Purina for the yesterdays news in unscented - nobody in my small town carries it in the unscented version & I haven't seen it offered in the vendors' search results.
I am glad to know that he is feeling better and healing well. Maybe his internal soreness appreciated the light, gentle pressure of going on a soft surface. I know that , for a person, in can make things easier to void into a soft washcloth, after a catheterization or similar procedure.