Cutting My Cats Nails

bigluvgoboom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I dont know why it took me so long to ask, but here I am now. I have had my cat for 5 months and she is 5 and a half years old. I ALWAYS have trouble cutting her nails for a few reasons. I have only been able to get the tips of a claw every once in a while. I have tried holding her in so many different ways, but none of them work. She just pulls her paw out of my hand every time. Also her nails are much thicker than I would expect them to be, they are not super thin and sharp but instead thick and dull. Also when cutting her nails, I can locate the quick but where do I cut? Do I just cut anywhere above the quick, and when I cut do I just clip the nail fast once I have the trimmers around it?
I have been stubborn on the fact that we shouldnt bring my cat (Lucy) the Vet or Humane Society where they can cut her nails for like $20 because she stresses out sooo much while traveling in the car (although I think she liked exploring the vet). Do you think we should just go get her nails trimmed there?

Answers to any of these questions would help so much, even if I didnt ask the question and you have some tips please leave them below. Thank you so much.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I got reptile clippers for my boy as his claws are very thick as well :)
I clip just the tip, and yes the faster you trim each claw the better as long as you can see what you're doing.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I use small scissor-type clippers to just take off the sharp tip of the claws. It's one of those things you have to get a cat accustomed to slowly. Start by giving a quick, light paw massage while the cat is relaxed and sleepy. Repeat for a few days. Once you can handle her paws, clip the tips of one or two claws while she's coming out of a doze. You should be able to increase the number of claws you can clip at one sitting over a period of a couple of weeks, and eventually be able to do all four paws in a minute or two.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Also when cutting her nails, I can locate the quick but where do I cut? Do I just cut anywhere above the quick, and when I cut do I just clip the nail fast once I have the trimmers around it?
You don't have to clip all the claws at one go especially if your kitty are one of those that cannot stay still to let you clip their claws. Do a few claws throughout the day or a few over the next day.

Get her used to you touching her paws each day and gently exposing the claws without clipping them. This way, it also help you train your eyes where the quick is. Once she's used to your touch, try clipping them. Or do it when she's deep in her sleep.

It's not easy clipping retracting paw. Once she lets you do it, quickly clip the tip off without going in to deep else you'll clip the quick and the claws will bleed and it'll be harder the next time you try to clip her nails. Always stand by some Styptic Powder to stop the blood flood if you accidentally clip the quick. If you don't have that, corn flour or plain flour will do the trick too.

IMG_2512.JPG
IMG_2513.JPG

IMG_2514.JPG