Curious Sniffing Behavior

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I am lying down for a nap, my cat will come up to my face and smell my breath. Can he tell if I'm asleep by that? What does he smell? Why does he do it?

rpandcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Somewhere north of Mexico and on the ocean.
My cat is really into breath. I think she likes bad breath. I open my mouth wide--and she practically sticks her head in it...and I go Haaa slowly....

Cats, like dogs, are taking in a lot of information that I think we humans don't even think about. I'll bet your cat is checking up on you. And it might not just be your breath. I sometimes wonder if my cat is checking on me when I sleep, as just before I fall asleep, and when I wake up, I notice she's regularly checking out my face. She is totally and completely aware of when I'm awake and asleep, and if I am not up at the right time--or am not out of bed--she will insist.

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thats usually what I wake up to, lol. But she also does it when I'm at my desk. Just comes up to me super determined and starts smelling my lips. When I have lip balm on she will even try to lick it off.

cinqchats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cats will sometimes sniff each other's faces as a greeting or if they think the other one has eaten something tasty. 

They can tell if you're awake or not by listening to your breathing. No hiding it from them!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've wondered if it was breathing. When I fall asleep, my breathing becomes deep and regular. He also likes to touch noses when I'm awake, but that must be normal cat behavior.