Curious New Litterbox Behavior.

sailon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maxine (7 year old spayed female) has always been very regular with her Litter box use. Usually went 3 times a day which the vet said was fine. Stools have been ok

I'm usually around so I've always cleaned her box shortly after she's used it. Now, however, every time I clean the box she immediately uses it again. Its almost like a Pavlovian response. Stools and urine are fine, but I'm really getting tired of cleaning up 7 or 8 times a day.

Any insight into this behavior, and how to alter it, would be appreciated. Thanks.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Your situation is the opposite of the usual "help, my cat isn't using the litterbox" posts.

A quick Google search found lots of hits, including this 2009 TCS thread:
Does your cat use the litter box when you clean it?

Is is pee or poop that she initiates the clean box with? Or does she alternate? ;)

What happens if you don't clean the litterbox right away? And have you tried getting a 2nd litterbox?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sailon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
To answer your questions:

1. Its either poop or pee. No pattern.
2. Its hard to tell what the pattern is if I don't clean the box immediately. If I clean, she'll always go. If I dont, sometimes she will and sometimes not.
3. I do have a second box that I use when I'm going to be gone for a couple of days. Not sure I understand how that relates to this situation.

Thanks very much for the feedback, and I'll try googling too.

Ladewyn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if it's a "this is mine, I'm gonna poop in it because you messed with this thing that is mine" situation.
You really shouldn't need to clean the litterbox every time she uses it. Clean it once in the morning, once in the evening. Is there a particular reason you clean it up immediately after she uses it?

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats are kind of funny this way too. I have 4 and 5 litter boxes. They do not like to use it if it is dirty. One reason i have multiple boxes. there is usually a clean one they can find :) I dont want them to "hold it" because they cannot find a clean box, i dont think this is healthy for them. I do scoop usually 3 or 4 times a day, twice would most likely be enough, but im a bit obsessive about clean boxes, and keep out plenty of boxes :)

However if you notice that she continues to pee more than normal you may want a vet check. This can sometimes be a sign of health issues.

sailon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Interesting thought .just getting possesive in her old age . And, you're right .no need to clean so often. I do it just because I'm here and can .

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
No way to alter it but it is pretty normal behavior. Some will race to use the box as you start to clean it and others feel compelled to use it right after it has been cleaned.

sailon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok. So it's not all that abnormal. Good to know. I guess I'll just cut back on the cleaning and see if she cuts back too, though I'll be careful about not letting it get so full she shys away. Thanks.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
To answer your questions:

[snip]

3. I do have a second box that I use when I'm going to be gone for a couple of days. Not sure I understand how that relates to this situation.

Thanks very much for the feedback, and I'll try googling too.
Regarding the 2nd box, I've read of some cats that prefer to pee in one box, and poop in another. So I just wondered if she'd like a 2nd box, so she'd have 1 for each type of "deposit".

Also, I presume she must hear you when you clean the litter box. Have you tried cleaning it when she's asleep, and seeing how long it takes for her to realize it's been cleaned, and has to use it.