Crystal litter performance?

BucDan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. I've been a user of Dr. Elsey's Ultra and Low Tracking since forever. I've been eyeing alternative litters like crystal for sanitary and hygienic reasons, especially with preventing bacteria growth in the box.

I saw that Dr. Elsey offered crystal cat litter. I bought the long hair friendly crystal cat litter due to its larger granules that would hopefully prevent tracking as compared to the smaller sand grain sized ones.

The cats have taken well to it. But I have a couple of complaints, first, it's dusty, when I'm stiring the boxes and scooping the poop, dust kicks up. A lot dustier than the clay litters from Dr. Elsey.

Secondly, it seems to be pretty mediocre for odor control. The smell of cat urine is still pretty strong. I've been having to spray litter deodorant on it.

It dries out poop well, at least.

Any tips or other recommendations? Brands? If Petco offers it for pickup in store, I'm all for it.

Thank you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BucDan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The best silica litter I’m aware of is Ultra Micro Crystals Cat Litter, though it works out very expensive. You can’t get it at pet o, to my knowledge, but it’s on Amazon. Amazing Cat Litter is a solid second, but only on Amazon, as well. Your best Petco option may be this litter https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petco...free-premium-blue-crystal-litter-box-for-cats
I'm willing to buy from Amazon. Was just hoping there was something out there that could apply with the Petco discount. I'm just worried that I'm going to try all of these different types of crystal litters, then just go back to clay. What type of litter do you use?

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
I use a sieve and pad litter system with non-clumping zeolite litter that I can wash and reuse. It's a hefty investment to get everything you need initially, but IME, very low maintenance cost, and very low effort to maintain. Very little smell or tracking, as well. I have the Unicharm King Size, and a covered Kao Cat, but the closest US analogue would be the Purina TidyCats breeze system, which should be available at Petco.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BucDan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use a sieve and pad litter system with non-clumping zeolite litter that I can wash and reuse. It's a hefty investment to get everything you need initially, but IME, very low maintenance cost, and very low effort to maintain. Very little smell or tracking, as well. I have the Unicharm King Size, and a covered Kao Cat, but the closest US analogue would be the Purina TidyCats breeze system, which should be available at Petco.
If crystal litter fails, I'll give this system a go. I like the looks of it, but I just bought new litter boxes, so I have to make some use of them first.