Crossword Puzzle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
Not honker or hauler.

The American spelling of this word has 7 letters. This is the British spelling, 6 letters.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haulier? Trucker? Hawker?
I am not sure I undestand, Boris Diamond. Haulier with 7 letters is the US spelling while hauler is the British spelling. Is haulier the right word then?

Last edited:

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
The American spelling has an H at the beginning of the word. The British version drops the H and starts with a vowel. It's a word I ran across recently but had never heard of before. I hope it's not too esoteric.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The American spelling has an H at the beginning of the word. The British version drops the H and starts with a vowel. It's a word I ran across recently but had never heard of before. I hope it's not too esoteric.
OK, is it then the British version with 6 letters starting with a vowel that we are looking for?

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes! I'm looking for the British version that has six letters and starts with a vowel. The term used to refer to someone who takes care of horses or mules.

Last edited:

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:yess::celebrate: Ostler is correct! Well done, PushPurrCatPaws.:thumbsup:
That is very interesting Boris Diamond. I didn't know that ostler also meant a "truck driver". I knew the word as meaning "a man employed to look after the horses of people staying at an inn." We live and learn. Good for you PushPurrCatPaws.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
That is very interesting Boris Diamond. I didn't know that ostler also meant a "truck driver". I knew the word as meaning "a man employed to look after the horses of people staying at an inn." We live and learn. Good for you PushPurrCatPaws.
I suppose the word was adopted by truck yards and now means a yard truck switcher or yard jockey, someone who moves trucks and trailers around in a truck yard.

Last edited:

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I suppose the word was adopted by truck yards and now means a yard truck switcher or yard jockey, someone who moves trucks and trailers around in a truck yard.
Thanks Boris Diamond. My Collins English Dictionary was printed in February 1979 and only shows the old definition. It seems that besides a US dictionary I should buy a more recent English dictionary.:read: As you may have realized by now I am a word maniac.

Status
Not open for further replies.