crickets

meuzettesmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was debating on buying this prey for the cats. Seems like fun for the cats. Wonder if crickets are harmful to cats? Not sure if I was bugs in my house. Better than mice or a bird I suppose. Just thinking how to bring the outdoors in.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I've heard of people who do it and would assume that the crickets you buy at a pet store wouldn't have been exposed to pesticides. Suppose the cats don't catch and eat them all, though. You might end up with a real cricket plague.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lots of us buy crickets for our kitties, especially the raw feeding folks.

The trick is to plug the bathtub and give a few at a time in there.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I buy crickets at the local pet store (PetSmart or PetCo).  They come in a plastic, see-through bag.  I rattle the bag so Ritz knows there is something in there and she starts getting real excited.  I drop one or two in the bathtub, sometimes she knows what they are, but if not, I make the crickets jump.  And Ritz goes to town, eating them.  She begs for more, so I give her two more.

I feed Ritz raw, and crickets are a good source of taurine.  I 'splurge' and buy the big ones, they cost around 11 cents each.

I'm a cruel human being to insects, and I'm proud of it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meuzettesmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So.... this is a good thing.

Next time I go to the store I will get them. Thanks for the tip to put them in the tub. Solves the dilemma if I will inherit pet bugs