Cream cheese or Greek yoghurt

mmin

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! My scottish fold is turning 6 years old.

Before, he had a bout of diarrhea for a few months, and now he’s a little constipated (regular bowels but very hard poops)

i’m trying to get him a cat birthday cake for his upcoming birthday and the two options ive shortlisted have either 1. cream cheese+potato or 2. greek yoghurt as the frosting options for the cake.

I know both cream cheese and greek yoghurt are treat foods and technically isnt part of their diet. which is better for cats and has less chance of causing him to returning to diarrhea again?

thank you!

Last edited:

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yogurt. The bacteria that make milk into yogurt also digest much of the lactose.
Although it's not lactose-free, yogurt is relatively low in lactose.

You can look to see if there is a reduced fat and/or reduced lactose version. I know that they make those kinds. However, I don't know what other additives they put in the stuff to make up for the fat that has been removed.

If it was me, I'd just get plain, Greek yogurt. It doesn't have any sugar, flavorings or other additives in it. Since this is a one-off treat for a special occasion, I wouldn't worry about lactose and fat. Instead I'd just limit portions.

C'mon! A cat's gotta' have some yum-yums on his B-Day! Right?! 🎂:bday::celebrate::bunnydance::party3::party2::party:

P.S: Don't forget that cat's don't have much of a taste for sugar and sweet things. They have very few (almost none) taste receptors for sugar and sweetness. In other words, don't bother putting sugar or sweeteners in the cat's treat. He won't taste it, much. Besides, sugar isn't good for cats, anyhow.

Last edited:

lokhismom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've just discovered freeze dried egg yolks. It's great for cats hairballs, constipation, etc. My cats love it too