Crazy Cat Laws

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I was reading an article about weird laws on LI NY.

I came across two cat related ones. Had to share! Do your hometown have some strange cat laws?
 When a bell rings in the Fire Island village of Saltaire, there's a good chance a cat is close by. The village code states that cats are not permitted to run at large within the village at anytime unless a bell is securely attached to its collar or harness. The bells are intended to protect birds in the area by warning them of an approaching feline, according to the code. Cats without bells could cost their owners a fine of up to $250, 15 days in prison, or both.
Tabby cats are allowed in Centre Island. Tubby felines are a different story. The village code states that house cats must not weigh more than 15 pounds. Harboring a husky feline could result in a $100 fine, but Centre Island Mayor Lawrence Schmidlapp said he has yet to see any cat owners ticketed for violating this rule. “Somehow in their infinite wisdom, the forefathers of this village assigned 15 pounds as a size of cat, which, if roaming free, could potentially harm someone or something,” he said. “It would only be enforceable if there was an incident and the cat did weigh that much. My guess would be that in days past, there was such an incident and so the law was written.” 

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I checked and no crazy cat laws, but:

It is illegal to mispronounce the name of the state of Arkansas.

In Little Rock, dogs may not bark after 6pm.

In Fayetteville, it is illegal to kill "any living thing"

maiaelizabeth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lolololol @draco I am laughing so hard right now. Those are some ridiculous laws. If I lived in Long island and my cat were outdoors I'd get fined because he's over 15 pounds. [emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji]

Also how and where can I look for crazy laws like that in my town.

helsic

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
what is this??

it is for real?

You want to hear something crazy? in the province of China where I live, if a dog is found on the street without an owner, the police has to kill it. Just like that. The other day I saw on the news cruel pictures of policeman killing a dog in the spot with a shove in front of a lot of people that was passing by.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here's some dumb laws from Florida:

Men may not be seen publicly in any kind of strapless gown.    

Having sexual relations with a porcupine is illegal.  

It is illegal to skateboard without a license.

Big Pine Key

It is illegal to molest a Key deer

Broward County

Persons may not be “inappropriately attired” who work at hot dog stands.

Cape Coral

It is against the city ordinance to hang your clothes outside on a clothesline.

It it illegal to park a pick-up truck in your driveway or in front of your house on the street.

Cape Coral City

A $50 fine will be levied on anyone who allows a couch to sit in their carport.

Daytona Beach

The molestation of trash cans is banned.

Maintaining a car on your property which is no longer in use is prohibited

Owning a flower pot with water in it that isn’t capable of draining is considered a public nuisance

Destin

It is illegal for an owner of a store to allow another person to pass out free ducklings in front of the store.

Destin states that a cat that viciously chases passers-by is a ‘bad cat’.

If you wish to go swimming in the ocean, get dressed in your hotel room

Torpedoes may not be set off in the city

If you like to love to ride your bicycle in Destin, don’t lean it up against a tree in a cemetery

It is illegal to drive over graves in a cemetery

If you notice an ice-cream man attempting to sell his cold concoctions in a cemetery, call the police immediately, for that is illegal.

Hialeah

Ambling and strolling is a misdemeanor.

Key West

Chickens are considered a ‘protected species’

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I remember when the one in Broward county was passed.  There were young, beautiful ladies in mesh micro-bikinis selling hot dogs alongside busy highways and streets. They caused traffic jams and many accidents. Not really a crazy law, at that.

Last edited: