Coyote Threat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, coyotes in suburban areas is quite common. Off topic, did you see the mountain lion wandering around a Sacramento neighborhood? Yikes!

Hmm, the sprinkler does present a challenge doesn't it? I wonder if you could move the eye higher than your tallest cat and still detect the coyote? I'm sure the sprinkler would freak out the cats too. How handy are you? I could post a pic my friend's cat feeding station that her husband built to keep the opossums out of the food, if you are interested?

That's a good question if the coyotes want the cat food, or the cats. So glad none have disappeared yet.
Sadly you are so right. I did not see that but they do get pushed out into residential areas sadly.

Moving the eye is an interesting idea. Sadly I am not handy at all. I take the food away immediately after they eat. Amazingly, I think the coyote figured out when I feed and smells it (he was watching us last night). So it really isn't a feeding station problem but again a good idea. All food has to be taken away as a first step in prevention though it is not working for us.

Yes, I am sure it is probably both at some point BUT it almost seems (so far) that it is more of the cat food. Maybe the cats are climbing a tree or getting into their houses when they sense him BUT he was 25 feet away last night and all my cats cared about was the food I was feeding which is REALLY SCARY. I almost wonder if they forgot there are predators (since they do like dogs). But coyotes smell differently I would assume. Honestly, it is bizarre and doesn't make total sense to me. What cat comes out of a house to confront a coyote???? That is not only unheard of it is INSANE.

Thank you for your thought and ideas. This is very helpful.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's why I thought he may be a dog and the cats can tell the difference. Although a cat-killing dog is just as much of a threat as a cat-killing coyote.

It sounds like they've made peace with him, at least. Farmers know not to kill coyotes in the area if that family of coyotes doesn't bother the livestock, because once they're gone, a bunch of sheep-eating coyotes might move in. So maybe he's their protector and you shouldn't discourage him.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, totally agree.

Very interesting. I just think of coyotes as predators and don't know the nuances. That is very interesting. It does seem like something must be going on. Interesting idea. But my one cat did chase off the coyote the other day.

I will say there has been a definite uptick in their territorial instincts the last month or so. Ferals they would accept to eat with them are now blocked off and sometimes chased off. Something has changed. One of those ferals is intact and I was trying to trap him but the others neutered. So part of me thinks that the coyote has stepped up his presence (causing their territorial defense).

BUT there is also a LARGE (about 3 feet tall) owl that has been hunting around them also and I thought maybe it is the owl possibly. The owl is really scary because it is so big but I haven't seen him in a few weeks.

Tonight when I feed I am going to really look around first and see if I can see if he is around before feeding. See if it is the smell of the food or the time of day (anticipating the feeding) that is bringing him close.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just to put this out there, feeding them at night is coyote feeding time.
they feed from dusk to dawn.
Is there any way you can change the feeding time?
we had to change feeding time over here.
We were feeding early in the morning, changed to a bit closer to sunrise.
Also I don't leave any food out, I pick up every piece of food after work.
I think the coyote was eating the leftover kibble at night/early morning.
Haven't seen him since the change.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much.

I am going to try to shift their eating time. That is a great idea. It is going to take a while to shift it but I am trying. Last night I did move it up a half hour. But they were looking for more food at 11pm when I went to bed. I didn't feed them at that time though it broke my heart.

In the past they were morning eaters but they shifted a bit. One tends to eat around 8 or 9am now while the other will eat later around 11am-1pm. If I could feed them their last daily meal at 5pm maybe they could wait until 7am the next morning. Though I did see the coyote a couple of weeks ago at 9:30am which is not a time coyotes are usually out which was strange. But I think that is not the norm.

I do remove all food after their meal. I think what is happening is he is coming through and smelling the food during feeding time so hopefully getting them to eat early will eliminate this issue. Fingers crossed.

I am just worried that they are going to be hungry between 5-7pm and 7am the next day. They are very nocturnal cats sadly though I don't think they are hunting because they tend to be very hungry in the morning. I think they are just goofing off at night.

Thank you for the great advice. I am hoping I have the same results you have seen. It is great to hear you haven't seen a coyote since you changed.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a worrier too! Every time we shifted places/time I got a little freaked out.
But the cats adapt to change pretty well, if they are hungry they will come
they can go a couple days without eating, more important is getting you to a place of less stress. Try not to worry! fyi: I only feed the cats on my street once a day, I know it would be great to feed them twice a day but I am unable to feed them twice a day.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the support. Yes, a big worrier. It is hard not to be able to totally protect them. I wish I could take them in but I can't, I am full up and finding them a home has been impossible.

I am moving up the feeding again. Now, my one was looking for food last night at the usual time they would eat previously even though he ate just an hour before. I think they are just so programmed to eat at certain times. There is no way he is hungry again but I think he likes the attention. I would like to train them that maybe 6pm is the last feeding eventually and then hopefully they no longer are programmed to eat at their previous time.

I did worry that he was hanging out at the time of the previous feeding time and the time the coyote comes around.

I was thinking about how many times I would feed them in the past and they would look up and growl (hearing or smelling something). I never thought about it in real time but I am thinking that the coyote was around watching while I was feeding (just like I saw him the other day watching us). The more I think about this the scarier it is. Luckily the coyote doesn't seem desperate so far.

I feed them a couple of times a day and I think they have learned to graze more than eat a good meal. I think I made a mistake catering to them as much as I have. And they tend to like interaction so when they look in the window waiting I get confused whether they are hungry or they just want to be pet or played with.

Anyway, I am off on a tangent. I think if I can get them trained to stop expecting food after dark hopefully the coyote wont smell the food and therefore stop coming around. The more I think about it the more I think he is after the food (at this point) rather than the cats. And there are a lot of rabbits and other small animals around that are easier prey for them. Not that I like them to be eaten but maybe it will spare the cats.

Thanks again for the support, I really appreciate it.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you will have no problem shifting them, they will get it!
That's cool that you can pet them!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope so.

They tend to be very active at night so I worry that they will be hungry and start going out hunting and get into trouble. They tend not to eat a lot at one sitting but I am going to try to shift so that there last daily meal is fulfilling.

They are great cats. They were extremely feral and in fact 2 of the boys wanted to kill each other and it was nasty then I finally trapped them and now they sleep together, rub on each other, and are inseparable. I do worry that I have made them less cautious and too trusting of humans and possibly animals/potential threats. I socialized them to find them homes but never could. They are really sweet. I think they have loved their loves so far (about 5-6 years in this colony) so I am hoping I can give them a good life for a few more. But they are happy cats. Hopefully these changes keep the coyotes away.

Thanks for everything!!