Coyote Threat

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am having trouble with coyotes coming around my feral colony. They have been coming around for a while but last night I saw my one male neutered cat confront and chase off a coyote. The coyote really ran when the male cat went after him. The male cat is about 11lbs. He chased him down the driveway but did not pursue him down the street. The other male cat waited to come out but then was also fairly bold. The coyote came back and I chased off the coyote as did both cats this time.

I am really worried about the cat coming out and confronting the coyote. I was surprised he (the cat) didn't hide and wait the coyote out as their homes give them great protection as long as they are inside. I am really surprised to see my feral confront the coyote. My ferals have definitely been on edge more lately so I am thinking the coyotes are around more than I thought. They previously accepted another male cat that was not part of the colony but would come around to eat 4-5 times a week but lately they are very territorial even with him.

Since I can't really "tell" my ferals not to confront the coyote I was wondering if anyone had used coyote deterrents that were successful and if so, what were they.

The coyote that I saw was healthy and looked like a young adult but I have seen older coyotes and an infirm coyote (which I haven't seen in a while).

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are you sure it was a coyote and not a fox? I have never heard of a cat chasing after a coyote. Yet my cats used to chase the fox out of my yard. Sometimes it was hard to tell the difference with the large bushy tail of that fox that made them look so big. I was never worried about fox as they can coexist with most cats.

I had a huge coyote problems when my feral boys were still living outside. They were in my suburban backyard 3-4 nights each week. I was sure to pick up all traces of cat food at dusk. I didn't want them to smell any remains of food.

My ferals lived on my deck and always knew ahead of time the coyote(s) were coming. I had a privacy screen on my deck they used to climb and they would also scurry under my low deck.

I had read that you can purchase wolf urine and soak rags in it and place around your yard. I was too worried about the stink and also afraid it would scare my cats. I purchased 4 Predator eyes and scattered them around my yard. I had surveillance cameras to keep an eye on my cats and I would notice the coyotes did not like the red light.

I had to trust that my 3 knew where to go when danger presented itself. Yet it used to scare me to death when I saw on the camera the next morning 3 large coyotes near my house.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Coyote. I know, I have never heard of it or seen it. I was SHOCKED. It is definitely a coyote sadly. Good sized as well.

I do pick up all food after they eat. My guys like to eat a few hours after dusk (9-10pm). I try to shift them but they just don't eat much earlier. I think the coyote smells it when I am feeding. I stay with them while they eat. They do hang out after eating instead of going to sleep like most cats and they are pretty nonchalant hanging out at night. They are accustomed to dogs but I can't beleive they are confusing coyotes with dogs.

Thank you for the predator eyes idea. I am going to try those. They don't deter the cats at all? I have my colony but I also have some other cats that come around to eat from other colonies.

I thought my ferals were smart enough (they are about 5-6 years old) but what I saw last night was shocking. I don't have any surveillance cameras so have never seen how they act before. They coexist with raccoons, opossums, and dogs and other cats. I trusted them but now I am not so sure.

I have owls hunting them as well which is another issue.

Thank you for your help!! Very helpful.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The predator eyes never scared my cats. The key was to position them from all angles of the yard and make sure you have them at eye level. They would easily blow over in the wind so I had to be sure I checked them daily.

I just hate to hear that so many of us have to deal with the coyotes.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, that is great to know.

Eye level of the coyote or human eye level?

I agree, it is really awful. Nature is beautiful but very sad as well unfortunately. :(

Thanks!!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last night I was feeding the cats and the coyote was there watching us. I didn't realize it until the cats acted differently and I turned around. I scared him off but he didn't go far. I then tried to scare him off again and someone was walking there dog and the dog barked and I think the coyote finally took off.

Pretty scary. It seems like he is getting bold. He doesn't look sickly, in fact he looks very healthy.

I think I am going to have to shift feeding time but I am worried that they will be out and about looking for food at that time.

I have the Predator Eyes ordered. Lt's hope that works.

Thanks for everything.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could it be a dog? I have known dogs who looked just like coyotes. A dog probably won't be scared of the eyes.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dealing with Coyotes here in San Diego too!
Chasing off the coyote is good, make noise, fill a bottle or something with beans or coins, keep chasing him, well be safe 1st before listening to me. I chased a coyote twice down the street, I really chased him, they don't like noise, make lots of noise! Your doing the right thing not leaving the food, If he's not getting food or cats maybe he will give up! Make sure the kitties have a way of escape.
one thing I have been thinking of for my friend who is also having a problem
is putting something in her yard that will make noise when a coyote approaches,
maybe small pebble rock or something crinkly, Coyotes are pretty stealthy!

Since the coyote incident I pick up every piece of kibble on my way home from work, don't leave anything out at night. been standing guard till sunrise before work.

I actually have been thinking of another idea, a feeding station that the cats can get into and not the coyote.

It's a terrible stressful thing! Hang in there!

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have a male dog? If so, take him around the perimeter and let him 'mark' every bush or tree around. For some reason, coyotes tend to steer clear of areas with frequent male dog urine.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is sadly definitely a coyote. The only good news is he is solo and not in a pack and he seems healthy. We have had coyote problems forever and it ebbs and flows a bit and they have been in the backyard for years. Not all that often that I have seen but I know they come around. I found his feces about 9 months ago. I remember seeing my chihuahua oblivious to a coyote a number of years ago (I went in the house for a second and I looked out and they were 5 feet part). Thank goodness he didn't go after him. Never did that again.

I guess the good news is the coyote is alone, looks healthy, and I am pretty sure he has been coming around for a while (I am just actually seeing him now) so he hasn't gotten my ferals so far. I am guessing he has been watching me feed the ferals and smells the food so keeps coming back. So I am going to have to try shifting the feeding but my ferals want to eat between 9-11pm. If I don't feed them I am guessing they will go out hunting which brings in other issues.

My ferals are fairly big males (11-12lbs) and my one male did confront and actually scare off the coyote (I have never seen that before). Last night he did stay in his house watching the coyote though which is good. But what happens when I don't see it I don't know. I am hoping that since he is young (and probably doesn't have pups) and he looks like he is eating well that he wont take the risk of trying to get one of my cats.

I was just glad to wake up today and see them.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have a male dog? If so, take him around the perimeter and let him 'mark' every bush or tree around. For some reason, coyotes tend to steer clear of areas with frequent male dog urine.
Yes I do but he is neutered and it hasn't been a deterrent up to this point sadly. I wonder if his being neutered is why it is not effective.

Thank you for the idea though.

Cats and Bees

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you live in a rural area or suburban area? Cats are a very tasty treat to coyotes and I don't think he will give up. I live in the country right now, and I would shoot the coyote without hesitation*. Fortunately, this has not happened but I worry about my barn cats.

Another idea is a sprinkler deterrent. Here is a page of them. I don't know if this would work on a coyote as I looked into them to keep dogs out of my yard when I lived in town.

Amazon.com: sprinkler deterent

Good luck!

*I do not shoot animals for sport, but I will protect my fur kids.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is a more suburban area but with areas that are very populated with coyotes.

Yes, that is what worries me. I am really conflicted if the coyote is after the food he smells when I am feeding the cats (I sit out there with them while they eat) or if it is the cats. I am thinking if he really wanted the cats he would have gotten them by now. BUT if he gets hungry enough I know he will go after the cats which is why I am so worried. I am guessing he has been around a lot more than I ever realized.

I have thought about the sprinkler deterrent and I may try that. The only issue is the cats do roam a bit and I do have some that come around once in a while that are partially attached to my colony (they only eat here and don't sleep). I worry my colony could get cut off from their houses during the night etc. Good advice though.

Love your profile pic. Looks like my girl that is on my lap right now (making it hard to type).

Thank you. I feel like we need a lot of luck right now but the good news is I think this has been going on for a while (for better or worse).

Thanks!!!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had thought about the sprinkler deterrent, but was worried it would frighten my feral boys instead. I think when you see them making loud noises to scare him off. Yell, bang on a metal trash can. You want him to feel very unwelcome.

Another option is to build a catio and you keep the cats in it at night. This can be hard as it also needs to be weather proof so they can stay dry during rain/snow or other inclement weather.

Cats and Bees

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is a more suburban area but with areas that are very populated with coyotes.

Yes, that is what worries me. I am really conflicted if the coyote is after the food he smells when I am feeding the cats (I sit out there with them while they eat) or if it is the cats. I am thinking if he really wanted the cats he would have gotten them by now. BUT if he gets hungry enough I know he will go after the cats which is why I am so worried. I am guessing he has been around a lot more than I ever realized.

I have thought about the sprinkler deterrent and I may try that. The only issue is the cats do roam a bit and I do have some that come around once in a while that are partially attached to my colony (they only eat here and don't sleep). I worry my colony could get cut off from their houses during the night etc. Good advice though.

Love your profile pic. Looks like my girl that is on my lap right now (making it hard to type).

Thank you. I feel like we need a lot of luck right now but the good news is I think this has been going on for a while (for better or worse).

Thanks!!!
Yes, coyotes in suburban areas is quite common. Off topic, did you see the mountain lion wandering around a Sacramento neighborhood? Yikes!

Hmm, the sprinkler does present a challenge doesn't it? I wonder if you could move the eye higher than your tallest cat and still detect the coyote? I'm sure the sprinkler would freak out the cats too. How handy are you? I could post a pic my friend's cat feeding station that her husband built to keep the opossums out of the food, if you are interested?

That's a good question if the coyotes want the cat food, or the cats. So glad none have disappeared yet.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I do but he is neutered and it hasn't been a deterrent up to this point sadly. I wonder if his being neutered is why it is not effective.

Thank you for the idea though.
Mine are all fixed and this seems to keep the coyotes and wolves from around the house. It doesn't do much for the bear and cougar though.
Maybe it's the size of your dog. Or the coyotes are not as wild as they should be.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had thought about the sprinkler deterrent, but was worried it would frighten my feral boys instead. I think when you see them making loud noises to scare him off. Yell, bang on a metal trash can. You want him to feel very unwelcome.

Another option is to build a catio and you keep the cats in it at night. This can be hard as it also needs to be weather proof so they can stay dry during rain/snow or other inclement weather.
Yes, that is my concern as well on the sprinkler.

I have made loud noises to scare him off. He bolts but doesn't go too far then I go after him some more and then he takes off. So it works for that moment. But I think he may be a bit immune to humans as he came back at the same time 2 days later. So it worked in the moment but he seems like he knows I am no real threat so he comes back.

I have thought about that but I am not sure I will be able to get them in every night. But at least it may give some protection. They do like to move around and do some investigating. I am not sure they are hunting much (though they do at times) because I try to keep them well fed so they don't as much to save the other animals (rightly or wrongly) but they do like to have some fun and investigate. They are pretty active at night I believe. They are at least 6 years so they should slow down at some point. That is a really good idea. The only downside would be I tried.

Thanks!!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine are all fixed and this seems to keep the coyotes and wolves from around the house. It doesn't do much for the bear and cougar though.
Maybe it's the size of your dog. Or the coyotes are not as wild as they should be.
Interesting. He is a big dog.

I wonder if they are so immune to the smells that as long as the dog isn't out then they figured out it is not a threat. This coyote I saw was pretty young so I would have thought he wouldn't have learned not to fear so soon. But who knows.

That is very helpful and interesting. Thanks.