Covered Cat Box Suggestions

MKitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I'm looking for some suggestions for a covered cat box to put in my laundry room. I would like something that's not hideous, would love something that doesn't scream... I'm a cat box too! I saw some wood covered cat boxes that look like cabinets, but most are too big for my space. I also saw this one that has great reviews, but I think it may be too big. I think our kitty will be average size and we currently use crystal cat litter as that has been the best of the 3 kinds I have tried.

What is your favorite covered litter box?

Thanks

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our kitties seem to like the Petphabet covered litter box that has a clear lid. They come in a bunch of colors. Not cheap, about $40 but nicely made and the kitties dig it.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got gracie a pink litter box from Amazon .. Not sure how to snip the picture in iphone . I think its nice however we keep it next to our bathroom in the hallway

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got that 'cabinet' on amazon, and really, it is just a little taller than a regular covered pan which I had before. It is SO much better looking there is no comparison. You can get it in wood look and white, I am very satisfied. It's pricier than a plastic covered box but is well worth it. Nobody knows its a litter box!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MKitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks! Which one of the wood ones did you get? I saw one made my Trixie and another that's more expensive.
I got that 'cabinet' on amazon, and really, it is just a little taller than a regular covered pan which I had before. It is SO much better looking there is no comparison. You can get it in wood look and white, I am very satisfied. It's pricier than a plastic covered box but is well worth it. Nobody knows its a litter box!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MKitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone! I'm going to check all if these out.

KalicoKitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is my absolute favorite litter box because it's a hooded corner litter box that has a flip top to make it easier to clean than one that you would have to remove the top completely to do: https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/moderna-flip-top-corner-enclosed-cat-litter-box
The only problem however is that it is pretty obviously a litter box but my room is basically dedicated to my kittens haha. I have 3 so if it didn't scream I have cats, I don't know what would :crackup:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The one I got on Amazon is made by Merry and called 'Merry Pet Cat Washroom/night stand' for 81.99. You need to put a litterbox inside, make sure you measure so the door closes, I had no problem finding a cheap one. That seems high in price, but really you are buying a nightstand and it is nice. I would suggest though to spray the inside with one of those rubber/plastic water sealers you see 'as seen on TV' because the inside panels are made out of cheaper particle board that swells up if it gets wet. The outside looks like wood, but I'm sure it is a thin layer. I found out when one of my cats peed over the side. Spraying it made clean up a lot easier and sealed in the smell. On the second one I bought I also glued it as I was putting it together to make it more sturdy. All in all I am satisfied because it looks nice.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was thinking about trying that Petphabet litter box with the clear cover on Amazon. But it's expensive if they end up not using it. I've never tried one with a cover before, but I thought they might like the one with the clear cover.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All of our litter boxes but one are not covered, because most cats do not like covered boxes. The covered one is a PetMate, and it serves the purpose very well. You might enjoy looking on HausPanther.com and searching covered boxes there -- you'll find the "you'll never guess it's a litter box" types there, in a variety of styles, sizes and prices to suit the needs of just about any cat except a lion or tiger. :winkcat:

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use a Booda Dome CleanStep, and I like it pretty well. Easy cleaning (to me), enough space for my fat boy and my little guy, and the "stairs" on the side do trap a lot of the litter. I have cats that, apparently, spend their nights flinging handfuls of cat litter wherever they possibly can, and it does a fairly good job of containing them.

Not sure if you have a nosy dog, but it has the added benefit of making it darn near impossible for dogs to get to the cat poop, unless you have a sighthound or s/t with an unusually long, giraffe-esque neck.

fiorya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had a Booda Dome for a while. My cat loved it because it was roomy and she could wipe her paws on the steps as she came out. But I found it to be a hassle to clean. Litter got stuck in the stairs and was difficult to remove when pouring litter out of the box. There was also always a lot of litter on the litter mat and even on the floor, despite the steps.

I now have a Nature's Miracle covered box, and I love it! It's large enough to where the cat has room, and the shape has made for much easier cleaning for me.

Oh, and make sure the box you get is wide enough. I once got a covered box from Target that was supposedly Extra Large, but was very narrow. (I think it's this one.) My cat ended up peeing on her leg every time she went, because there wasn't enough room in it for her to squat properly.

Last edited:

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have bought a few, My cat's favorite & mine is the Buddha dome litter box ...... I'm thinking of buying them a second one :) Those staircases really catch the litter, the filters work & it is nice big size for adult cats.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I personally use a litter robot, and wouldnt go back to regular boxes. the only bad thing is the price. but my machines have lasted me years with no issues.

my cat refused to even go into a regular litter box, when i was temporarily using one, when we adopted elsa, our 2nd cat.