Counter Cats

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it will. It will also leave a nice long or V shaped pattern on your hand depending on how you touched it.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, but it won't stay as hot as long as an electric burner. But, yeah, still worth putting a pot of water on it until it's cool.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When we had a gas stove with the pilot light in the center covered panel between the burners (two burners on either side of the panel) one of our cats spent cold afternoons sleeping on the panel. I had held each one up two feet back from the stove and turned on a burner to show them - fire! They got it. I still took the on/off knobs off the stove - burners and oven - every time I left the house and when I went to sleep. No point in tempting fate.
That would be Ember trying to find somewhere warm. Fortunately, I think it would be pretty difficult for them to turn the knobs by accident.

I think they probably mean magnetic babyproofing locks.

I don't try to keep cats off the counters. They far outnumber me so it would just be an exercise in futility :tongue:. My cats don't jump up there while I'm cooking---if they get close I hold them near the heat for a few seconds until they decide not to get any closer. One burned himself jumping on a hot burner after I was done, so now I put a few inches of cool water in a pot and put that on top of the burner when I'm done to absorb the extra heat. That's not a problem if you have a gas stove.
It's definitely proven to be futile, but I can't let him jump up there while the stove is on either. I'm still afraid showing them the heat would backfire. We let the house get pretty cool in the winter and Ember has a bit of an obsession with warmth. I've felt her get pretty hot before and she still didn't move. Cool water in a pot is something I'll have to keep in mind though.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They kick the knob on when they are climbing or leaping onto the stove. It's bad and worse if you're not home when it happens.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They kick the knob on when they are climbing or leaping onto the stove. It's bad and worse if you're not home when it happens.
The knobs are on the back of the stove, so the cats can't hit them when jumping up. Plus they have to be pushed down at the same time they're turned, so that makes it a little harder.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's good. They made so many stoves with the knobs right on the front above the oven door, like they tempting toddlers to turn them. A lot of children's toys are turn this knob. Also when toddlers walk they grab things to steady themselves. It's good you have one with knobs on the back. Some you have to push in and then turn like child proof medicines.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, safer for kids and pets, but more dangerous for whoever is cooking. You do have to be careful if you're reaching over hot pots and pans to get to the knobs. It is kind of like child proof caps. Perhaps not quite as difficult as some of those, but certainly similar.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lids for pots and remembering to turn the unit off before taking the lid off. I, of course, never, well seldom, forget that little detail.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think gas stoves always have the knobs on the front, so you don't set your chest on fire trying to turn it off ;). Like Mrs Doubtfire, lol. Electric stoves can have them either place.