Counter Cats

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone. This time I'm looking for some help in keeping my cats off the counters. They used to be relatively okay about it. I mean, I have no doubt they'd be up there when we weren't around. I could hear them jumping down in the middle of the night. That never really bothered me though. However, a little while ago two of them got really sick. They stopped eating for 3-4 days each and lost quite a bit of weight rather quickly. After that, they became obsessed with food. Every time we went into the kitchen, they'd be there. If we opened the fridge, they'd be there. Got in the pantry. And, of course, when you get one you get all three. Well, they've calmed down about that, but during that time they started getting on the counters even with us right there. Ash, in particular, is very bad about it. He's by far the worst of the three and they learn from him. He's eaten a sugar cookie, gotten a couple bites of a marshmallow, and just the other day got up on the stove while it was on. :eek::fireblob: We've already tried a lot of the more known methods of keeping them down. So far we've done:

• Chasing them down and giving two fingered taps/pokes - they get down, but don't stay down and usually ignore us until we get up and walk to them, then jump down and run off
  • Plastic Wrap - not fazed
  • Aluminum foil - not fazed
  • Aluminum foil with water - not fazed
  • Aluminum foil with vinegar - not fazed
  • Double sided cat tape - not fazed after first few times, lost the stickiness quickly
  • Plastic carpet runners with the studs up - not fazed after the first few times, led to the discovery of the sink
  • Plastic carpet runners w/ studs up w/ double sided tape - only fazed when the tape got stuck to Ash and he ended up dragging the entire piece of plastic from the stove, through the dining room, and to the opposite end of the living room; kept him off the stove for a while, but he's back to it
  • Ssscat air can - tried this a while ago; the only thing that fazes them, but didn't stop them from trying; they'd be right back up there if it was left off and it has too big of a blind spot, not to mention it's the most expensive method

It's honestly gotten ridiculous. Ash will get up there even if we're right there in the kitchen. We can't leave food out even long enough to eat and now we apparently can't even have food out long enough to cook it. He apparently has a sweet tooth and eats things I never would have though they'd eat. And he does it, so the other two do it. Once he found the sink, the other two started getting in the sink. Even Ember has gotten bad about it though not as bad as them. I've caught her licking water out of a bowl that I used to whisk eggs in! :doh: Fortunately, I had rinsed it and completely filled it with water, so there shouldn't have been much, if anything, in it. And the other day I caught Frost eating a capsule for the glucosamine. The capsule. I thought I caught him pretty quickly. I went running in the second I heard a crunch, but he'd already eaten half the capsule. I've no idea how he figured out I kept them in the teacups sitting on the counter since a capsule lasts a few days and I had no idea where else to keep them. So now he keeps knocking over the teacups.

We're trying to keep things put up and we don't leave food sitting out for extended periods of time, but they've discovered the sink and the dirty dishes that often reside in there. Not to mention now it's a major hazard since Ash has gotten up there with the stove on. Honestly, if I thought it would work I'd consider using a water gun. I know it's not recommended, but if it kept him safe... Well, that would be worth it. But I don't think it would work. I will say they're usually pretty good if you call them before they jump. That's kept them from doing it quite so often since it normally takes a bit of planning before they jump, but there are still times where we don't see them in time. So I was wondering if anyone else had any ideas about how to teach them to stay down.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a major pain, especially with three cats. But all I can suggest is to keep pursuing it with the Sssscat. It's the only thing that really works. I know they are expensive, but maybe you need to buy another to cover all the counters. This is a pain, too, in the kitchen to turn them all off when you want to use the kitchen, but I also have a chronic jumper, and Sssscat is the only thing that worked.

BTW, Chewy also has some sticky sheets you can try too. I also yell at the cats to GET DOWN, and my two have learned what that means. Mingo stays off now, but the food obsessed Lily still will try to get away with it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a major pain, especially with three cats. But all I can suggest is to keep pursuing it with the Sssscat. It's the only thing that really works. I know they are expensive, but maybe you need to buy another to cover all the counters. This is a pain, too, in the kitchen to turn them all off when you want to use the kitchen, but I also have a chronic jumper, and Sssscat is the only thing that worked.

BTW, Chewy also has some sticky sheets you can try too. I also yell at the cats to GET DOWN, and my two have learned what that means. Mingo stays off now, but the food obsessed Lily still will try to get away with it.
Yes, it is. Ember was never very bad about it and still isn't anything like the boys, but she's been getting worse. We are probably going to end up trying Ssscat again. It's just that they never stopped trying, so we'd likely have to keep replacing them. I really don't like scaring them either, especially Ember. She's a somewhat insecure cat who lashes out at Ash if she feels threatened. So if there's anything else I can try, I'd like to do that, but the Ssscat is still a possibility.

I'll look into the sticky sheets though the tape didn't help much. Maybe if I covered more surface area. I just did strips of tape. I've tried yelling at them, but it's a lose/lose situation. Ash and Frost aren't fazed and wait until you get up to jump down and it's gotten to the point that all I have to do is say Ash's name, not even loudly, and Ember runs off. She really doesn't like loud noises. But even she doesn't always take off immediately if she's the one on the counter.

Maybe leave an inch or two of clean water in the sink?
That's something we could try. I could see it potentially backfiring with Ash since he doesn't mind water and sometimes likes to play in it, but it could at least keep the other two out.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had good luck with the large double sided sheets. My parents had a tom cat that had decided that their large leather recliner made an an excellent scratching post. On my next visit home I brought several of the sheets with me. I put one sheet on the chair where he had been scratching. Then we waited to see what would happen. Later, he walked up to the chair, stood up to scratch with his front paws square in the middle of the sheet, tried one down stroke with a paw. Then pulled both paws off the sheet, looked at the chair a moment, then licked both paws to get the residual adhesive off them. and walked away. He never tried again, as far as we knew. When I left, I suggested they leave the patch on the chair for another week or so, just in case he tried again.

He didn't even try to scratch on any other part of the chair, or the leather couch.

I found the double sided sheets at Pet Smart. I believe they were as large as a regular sheet of paper. Good luck, and keep us updated!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It sounds like you've tried all the normal ideas, but here's the TCS article on How To Keep Cats Off Counters And Tables in case it might be helpful.

If it were me, I'd probably block off the kitchen when cooking/eating, if that were possible. Or put the cats in a closed room when the stove's on, you're cooking, etc.

Good luck. I hope they get back to their normal behaviour soon.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't make yourself crazy. Just lock the cats in the bedroom when you cook. Really, it's easier to herd them into one room and lock the door than it is to keep picking them up and putting them on the floor. Safer for them and you as you will know where they are and they can't jump on the stove.

I've had one reach into a pot of boiling water to grab a shrimp. She got it, she was okay. I've been better.

Had another walk through a frying pan that was warming on the top of the stove. He was okay, but got his revenge later by peeing down the electric unit. That was okay after a couple of days and there were windows in the kitchen.

It's really easier to just put them in the bedroom.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had good luck with the large double sided sheets. My parents had a tom cat that had decided that their large leather recliner made an an excellent scratching post. On my next visit home I brought several of the sheets with me. I put one sheet on the chair where he had been scratching. Then we waited to see what would happen. Later, he walked up to the chair, stood up to scratch with his front paws square in the middle of the sheet, tried one down stroke with a paw. Then pulled both paws off the sheet, looked at the chair a moment, then licked both paws to get the residual adhesive off them. and walked away. He never tried again, as far as we knew. When I left, I suggested they leave the patch on the chair for another week or so, just in case he tried again.

He didn't even try to scratch on any other part of the chair, or the leather couch.

I found the double sided sheets at Pet Smart. I believe they were as large as a regular sheet of paper. Good luck, and keep us updated!
Alright, I'll look into it. Thank you.

It sounds like you've tried all the normal ideas, but here's the TCS article on How To Keep Cats Off Counters And Tables in case it might be helpful.

If it were me, I'd probably block off the kitchen when cooking/eating, if that were possible. Or put the cats in a closed room when the stove's on, you're cooking, etc.

Good luck. I hope they get back to their normal behaviour soon.
Blocking off the kitchen isn't a possibility. Unless we wanted double doors, but we can't really afford the expense, especially since we just got two new cat trees and are planning on catifying the storage room (which is connected to the kitchen).

I can lock them up, but I'd rather not. The only place I can put them in is my room, which is very small for three cats and it's Ember's safe room. So do I lock all three in there and hope they don't get into a fight, or do I just lock Ash in there and take Ember's safe room away?

Don't make yourself crazy. Just lock the cats in the bedroom when you cook. Really, it's easier to herd them into one room and lock the door than it is to keep picking them up and putting them on the floor. Safer for them and you as you will know where they are and they can't jump on the stove.

I've had one reach into a pot of boiling water to grab a shrimp. She got it, she was okay. I've been better.

Had another walk through a frying pan that was warming on the top of the stove. He was okay, but got his revenge later by peeing down the electric unit. That was okay after a couple of days and there were windows in the kitchen.

It's really easier to just put them in the bedroom.
It probably would be easier and it's definitely a possibility. However, the only place I can put them is my room since that's the only room with water and litter box, but it's also Ember's safe place and is very tiny. I've locked them up in there once before and it went alright, but Ember is an insecure cat and tends to lash out at Ash if she feels threatened. I'm not sure if it's best to take my chances with three cats in a tiny space that Ember is somewhat protective over or to simply put Ash in there and prevent Ember from going to her safe room.

Well, there's that old saying about 'you gotta pick your battles.' I think a cat person made it up.
Or a rat person. I've definitely learned to pick my battles from cats as well as my rats. I was ready to give up a while ago even before they got bad about it, but my mom is the one who's insistent that they stay off. Ash getting on the stove, however, made it a little more complicated since it was no longer a matter of just keeping food put away.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe make that a priority. It's annoying when they jump up on the counters, but dangerous when they jump on the stove.
We're working on it, but it's going to take some time. We moved into this house a few years ago and never fully unpacked, so that room was used for storage. We have to clean it up, get the boxes downstairs, and move some stuff around. There is a cat tree out there already and a litterbox. They have plenty of things to get up on though.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since Ash is getting on the stove ask your vet what to do if he burns himself. If he burns his paws badly you'll need to know what to do to calm him enough to get him in the carrier to take him to the vet. I put Vaseline on my cat's paws. A lot of people are against that, but it stops the pain quickly and gives you time to put him in the carrier and take him to the vet. They have to clean it off there and will tell you not to do it, but you have to get him in the carrier.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since Ash is getting on the stove ask your vet what to do if he burns himself. If he burns his paws badly you'll need to know what to do to calm him enough to get him in the carrier to take him to the vet. I put Vaseline on my cat's paws. A lot of people are against that, but it stops the pain quickly and gives you time to put him in the carrier and take him to the vet. They have to clean it off there and will tell you not to do it, but you have to get him in the carrier.
That's a good point. I will, thanks.

Pouncecat1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I put magnets on my cabinets to keep the cats out. I use a large bottle to keep the pantry door shut. I took a piece of plywood, painted with polyurethane, and added handles - that covers the sink.

I don't have too much trouble with cats on the counter- a spray bottle of water does work. It certainly has not traumatized them. They know the word "off".

Pouncecat1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As for burns, i deliberately place my cat on the hot counter- with the burner covered. Usually that is enough to discourage them from being on the stove. They always jump down immediately. Not trying to hurt them, just show them it is hot and best avoided.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I put magnets on my cabinets to keep the cats out. I use a large bottle to keep the pantry door shut. I took a piece of plywood, painted with polyurethane, and added handles - that covers the sink.

I don't have too much trouble with cats on the counter- a spray bottle of water does work. It certainly has not traumatized them. They know the word "off".
How do the magnets keep the cats off?

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I think the danger of the spray bottle is more than it could affect your relationship with them rather than it actually traumatizing them. But either way, I don't think that would work in my case or I would consider it. Maybe for two of them, but Ember is so sensitize I really hate scaring her and I certainly don't want to damage my relationship with her. Ash actually quite likes water though and I've turned a faucet on a little with him in the sink and he didn't budge. So it might startle him two or three times, but after that I doubt it would faze him.

As for burns, i deliberately place my cat on the hot counter- with the burner covered. Usually that is enough to discourage them from being on the stove. They always jump down immediately. Not trying to hurt them, just show them it is hot and best avoided.
I'm not sure I could bring myself to do that. I'm a bit paranoid and would be terrified of hurting them. Not to mention Ember is a bit addicted to heat, so if it didn't hurt she'd probably decide it would be a good place to warm up...

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When we had a gas stove with the pilot light in the center covered panel between the burners (two burners on either side of the panel) one of our cats spent cold afternoons sleeping on the panel. I had held each one up two feet back from the stove and turned on a burner to show them - fire! They got it. I still took the on/off knobs off the stove - burners and oven - every time I left the house and when I went to sleep. No point in tempting fate.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How do the magnets keep the cats off?
I think they probably mean magnetic babyproofing locks.

I don't try to keep cats off the counters. They far outnumber me so it would just be an exercise in futility :tongue:. My cats don't jump up there while I'm cooking---if they get close I hold them near the heat for a few seconds until they decide not to get any closer. One burned himself jumping on a hot burner after I was done, so now I put a few inches of cool water in a pot and put that on top of the burner when I'm done to absorb the extra heat. That's not a problem if you have a gas stove.