Could it be the potatoes causing loose stools?

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a couple notes: Tiki's chicken is definitely shreds instead of chunks. Tiki's foods are expensive but it always seems like there's a lot more meat in the can with Tiki than with Weruva's Quick 'n Quirky, which I serve up once in a blue moon. In terms of value, I think Weruva's Cats in the Kitchen foods are their best line.

Yes, @LisaMarie12, I am very lucky our cats can eat chicken! They love chicken and I don't know I'd feed them if they couldn't have chicken. I know what you mean about looking at shelves and shelves of cat foods, too: there are so many potatoes and so many peas, not to mention carrageenan, in foods that would, otherwise, be great. Potato and peas are becoming ubiquitous, and that's not a good sign because they're just high-carb fillers. As for Primal: it's the same here, it ends up being a good value because it fills the cats up plus they love it and eat everything. The same even goes for Rad Cat now that I've found it at a reasonable price.

I'm a huge fan of Dr. Pierson's charts, too. They're incredibly helpful.

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LisaHE:

True regarding peas and potatoes, especially with more foods being grainfree, companies are bulking up on the other two starches. I remember reading somewhere, grainfree doesn't mean starch free. I may give Rad Cat turkey a try, I'm at a loss to figure out what was causing Mikey's horrible neck itch - either pork or eggs, but I'll give RC a try. I think their eggs are organic also. I realize it's expensive but in combo with other foods, I really respect the women who got RC going. Thanks again for the info!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, a lot of grain-free foods are very high in starch, it's really pretty sad.

As for Rad Cat, it really might be worth trying the turkey. Also, shop around for the best price: I'd started the cats on just very small portions of Rad Cat because it was expensive but then realized one local store sells it far cheaper than the other. Now it comes out to cost just a bit more than Primal... and it makes the cats happier and fuller. I hope it works for Mikey!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mysterylover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all of your replies and ideas.  At this point, I am feeding Fancy Feast (only the turkey and giblets classic, since there are no artificial colors like in the chicken and no nitrites like in the beef, but they did love those two flavors before all of this digestive stuff with Tigger).  I have added the Steak Frites and On the Cat Wok to pacify the beef craving.  The one with the digestive issues likes both, but I am having to mix the FF turkey with it for one of the cats, or he takes 3 bite and literally leaves the kitchen during feeding time (as if to say, "if this is all there is, I'm out of here!).  The favorites of Paw Lickin' Chicken and Quick and Quirky are always well received.  The only issue is that Weruva is the lower calorie content, so if we gave up the Fancy Feast, I am sure the boys would be too thin.  With the diarrhea, Tigger had lost 1/2 a pound or so and was definitely too thin.  With the Fortiflora only one meal a day, he has gained weight and energy, which is great.

For the small amount of dry, I have been using the Natural Balance LID chicken and pea, but I am not thrilled about the carb content being as high as it is.  I sort of wish there was a kibble that was middle of the road in protein, as a sort of bridge to maybe something high in protein.  I know the canned food is high in protein, but I have heard that some cats seem sensitive to higher protein kibble like Orijen, especially if they are coming from something that has more carbs.  Does it not seem likely to cause a cat who is sensitive some digestive issues if, even gradually, I change from the Natural Balance (carbs at a whopping 42%) to something like Natures Variety Chicken (carb content 19%)?  The NV Turkey LID is higher in carbs at 31%, so maybe that would be more gradual.  Is has Turkey Meal first and then peas, where the NB has peas first and then chicken meal.  The only other kibble I found that is pretty low in different ingredients is Nutro Natural choice grain free Duck--carb content 34%.  Quite a few people are still using their canned in rotation (and I may even try to add the chicken loaf, since it is carrageenan free), but  I have read some people here have questions regarding the packaging and such.  I have to balance this all out.  Even though the Weruva has some potato starch, Tigger seems to be tolerating it fine, at least with the Fortiflora. I have enough Fortiflora to last several months, so if it is helping, I see no problem with adding it in at least a few meals a week for a while.  I still think he may be particularly sensitive to stress.  My son and husband got into a heated debate last night, and Tiger ended up jumping into my computer chair the minute I got up right then.  I had to wonder if he was wanting assurance that everything was okay and that I was still relaxed.  The men were not angry, just loudly vocal, but you cannot explain that to a cat.

With Tigger, I just want to be careful not to make any drastic changes that could cause him stress.  Even pulling away all kibble (since it is part of the routine and also since he is really still an addict), might stress him out.  It took me about a year to get to the point where they are eating this much wet.  The ratio used to be reversed of wet to dry.  So many people have cats that won't touch wet (or have chicken allergy), so I feel pretty lucky and blessed in this whole thing at this time.  Trying any form of raw would have to be something done a bite at a time.  My DH already thinks I love the cats more than him.  If we had raw in the freezer for the cats, he would be likely trying to cook it and eat it himself or fussing because we cannot afford to keep meat in the freezer for us (and DH is a meat lover, for sure).

I am going to buy some canned food today for the cats, but I was not sure what to do with the dry.  I am at the point in the bag where I have to stick with the NB for another bag or try adding something else as a transition.  I will look a bit while I am out.  I know the local store has some sample bags.  They probably would sample me Orijen, which would a big jump in protein for my cats from the NB.  Of course, they all love the NB.  Funny, how these obligate carnivores adore carbs.  Never leave a doughnut unattended in my house!  LOL!