Could It Be Dry Fip?

arkansawyer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our ordeal with our 10-month-old indoor kitten Frank began on Thursday night, when he started growling and hissing at me while petting him. Extremely out of character for him.

Did not wake either of us up on Friday morning to eat. Threw up clear vomit twice. Ate very little. Took him to the vet in the early evening. Nothing obviously wrong, though intestines were "pushed to the side." Vet#1 unsure whether fat or obstruction.

Symptoms persisted on Saturday. Admitted to vet overnight. Barrium series and bloodwork completely normal. Temperature 102.0.

Vet informed us that he did not eat while there. Vet tech initially thought he had pooped because he had kicked so much litter around, but he had not pooped.

Took home from vet on Sunday evening. Did not eat. Peed once. Went back and forth between litterboxes several times at one point and was vocalizing in litterbox. Spent several minutes just sitting in litterbox. Finally pooped (pretty sure it was him). Poop was small and firm but litter stuck to it. Slightly pale color.

Spending more time under the bed but activity levels are pretty normal. Showing "interest" in food but will generally pick it up, chew it up, and spit it out.

As of this morning still refuses to eat.

When we spoke to the vet this morning he said that dry fip was a "possibility." I am curious to hear from others here who have dealt with this illness or know a lot about it. I have asked them to send me the xrays and bloodwork and will be receiving them within the next couple of hours. Will post here when I receive them but would appreciate any and all feedback in the meantime.

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would normally suspect some obstruction in the intestines. But he was obviously x-rayed for that, its probably why they gave him the barium contrast (gruel or injection?).
If you can find liquid paraffine - its a very potent cleaner in constipations. Its no hokus pokus, vets do use it, at least here in Sweden. Your vet should have it. Otherwise, I had seen liquid paraffine in horse shops selling gears to take care of leather. Should be OK, at least, the swedish product I saw would be ok - the factory did it also for veterinary use but in other bottle.

I mean, if the liquid paraffine is OK no cheap imitation, it can hurt - but may help...

In severe obstructions sometimes surgical removing is necessary, but if they dont see it on x-rays, its meaningsless to open him just if...

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
During the time, give him pedialyte. Bought or home made. Forcefeed if necessary. It will prevent dehydration, and the glucose sugar in pedialyte doesnt need to be digested, its absorbed in the mouth and the intestines. You can even add some glucose sugar extra - may be honey.
So whatever it is, it will buy him time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

arkansawyer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He did just once again go back and forth between the two litterboxes unproductively while meowing. My concern though remains if there is some kind of obstruction the xray and barrium test (which I believe was gruel) should have picked up on it, right?

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
definitely constipated. get some plain canned pumpkin. how many pounds is your kitty? Start small. 1/2 teaspoon a day. You should see results in 12 to 24 hours. for whatever reasons cats get constipated and then vomiting starts. the vet can prescribe meds to help aid in elimination but canned pumpkin or baby food squash will also do the same thing. That colon needs to be emptied out. Either an Enema in the next few days if it doesn't come out on it's own. Or they will manually have to remove it. poor baby.

arkansawyer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He did poop yesterday though. And constipation should've been perceptible either when the vet felt his stomach or through the x-ray.

Now I'm wondering about something like urine crystals? He does eat exclusively dry food.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
maybe massage on the belly=I believe I read it's clockwise motion to help the colon. My girl will let me rub her when she's backed up. My other cat forget it-she will shred me...maybe warmth on belly would help? it has to be painful I would imagine. you can also feed coconut oil to help aid in elimination as well. the oil will help ease the poo out. the canned pumpkin will help soften stool to make it easier to eliminate. Olive oil is another one you can try-a few drops in wet food

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
but how much poop was there? you said it was hard little balls right? That's sign of constipation...the oil and pumpkin will help make it pass easier...the going in and out of the box could be either constipation or UTI. Did they palpate his bladder? Sorry I just assumed it was constipation from your description of vomiting clear liquid and not wanting to eat...which not eating could be sign of pain..either constipated or urinary issues...you can take him back and ask for sub fluids-that will help either of those two issues.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just reread your original post=did they try to express urine out of his bladder? You could be right-maybe this is a pee issue not helped by constipation...sorry I wish I had the answers! You can bring him back and let them know he's still growly and not comfortable. Something is not right.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
An misspelling: the liguid paraffine can NOT hurt, may help.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes massaging is a good idea. Food oils alike cocoa olive. Canola good homeremedies, but liquid paraffine or other minerale oil pf food grade more potent stronger.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kittens are sometimes helped by submerging in warm but not hot water. Try with holding him under running warm water while you tap him with forefinger on the behind.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A slice from a glycerine cone in the behind? Same glycerine suppositorium as for children.

arkansawyer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just dropped him off at the vet. Temp was 100.5. Vet wants to do a urinalysis and test his pancreas. If those don't turn anything up he wants to do a FIP test (not sure which one).

Here are xrays, for what it's worth:
Would love to hear more opinions, thanks!

Last edited:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think he looks constipated. If I am looking right I see a longish section that is likely backed up. Do you know of a different vet you could ask for a second opinion?

Last edited:

arkansawyer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We were researching possible causes the other night and when FIP came up we kind of worked ourselves into a tizzy. The vet said it's a "possibility" and believes it remains a possibility. In fact, he doesn't want to do an FIP test until he gets the result from the urinalysis and pancreas test. We don't feel that he has been dishonest with us, though we also don't think he's the greatest vet of all time.

He did receive a barrium test. Would that not have picked up on the constipation?

Last edited:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am honestly super surprised your vet didn't go straight to constipated and treatment for that with your x-rays.

If you have time just take that x-ray to another vet (even without the cat) and explain what is happening. Show the x-ray and ask what they think. Or there is a website called JustAnswers.com you pay $25-40 for a chat with a real vet and share the photo. I've used it before for a quick second opinion without a vet visit and usually get an answer within 30 minutes.